News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Failed stator, but not because of burn up?

Started by Extent, October 14, 2004, 01:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

Since I've gotten the V I've been paranoid of stator failure, so I've tried to keep an eye on things (haven't got around to installing a Vom yet)  I caught the batter (only 2 weeks old) sitting at 11.5 volts so I ran thru the checklist again.  Voltage holds at 13.2 volts all throughout the rev range, which I guess isn't enough to keep the batt charged(?) since it's below the 13.5 threshold.

The stator passes the resistance test and continuity w/ ground test w/ flying colors, but when running two legs are only putting out 40V @ 5k, and the 3rd is fine @ 52V.  I know it fails but it feels so close, am I being over paranoid?

I've been keeping it on a battery maintainer since I replaced the battery, and if I hadn't randomly checked it I wouldn't think anything was wrong, it always starts up right away (especially after the last dipping, she purrrs now)  I've been trying to use it for my daily transportation to keep costs down (hah!) and I've got some 200+ mile rides planned, I don't want it to leave me stranded anywhere.  If it's just toast I want to get a replacement overnighted asap (even though I really can't afford it, it's a curse I tell you:P) but if something might be wrong w/ my tests I'ld rather forgo the expense right now..

Also just on the side, when I disconnected the stator from the R/R the bike raced up an additional 1.5k rpm, what might possibly cause that?
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

13.5 is borderline, but on the high side.  double check with a second meter too. the meter on my bike reads low anyway, but haven't gotten around to replacing it.

producing V/A output will typicly put some drag on the engine, disconnecting the stator eliminates the field put out by the stator & 'releases' the rotor...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

well I've got a .6v drop on the brown wire now that I can't seem to nail down.  Half of that is disapearing in the ignition switch, but I don't know if that's really part of this problem, since it's certainly not trying to overcharge the battery.

Now that I've got the stator all soldered back together the battery is only reaching 12.2 volts with the engine at 5k, it seems to be topping out at roughly what the battery voltage is w/ no load.  I guess I'll just put it all back together tonight and leave it on the charger and see if it goes back up to 13 tomorrow afternoon.

I'll try and grab another digital meter from work, hopefully one with a real diode tester, the one w/ the diode simbol on my tester dosent seem to display volts when you use it.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

The only way to know for sure is to d/l & run the Electrex tests.
--Lucky

jasonm.

If the battery is over 4 years old? It could just be a bad battery.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Extent

Brand new battery, and the electrex tests are the ones I'm talking about.  But it's only worsened, and it just ran a battery completely flat.  I'm just going to outright replace the stator and retest the R/R, I'm headded to the electrex website right now.  Glad it happened during my test and not tomorrow during a ride.  Sucks tho, second weekend ride in a row I'm missing.

Soon as the battery is done charging here I'm going to go bring the poor girl the rest of the 4 miles home, then she's getting an oilchange and the stator gutted!

h2olawyer

Extent -

Quotethen she's getting an oilchange and the stator gutted!

I hope you mean draining the oil, then gutting the stator THEN adding oil. ?Putting the new oil in before the stator change could prove a bit messy. ?;D :D

Seriously - sounds like it is most likely the stator but you might want to make sure the R/R tests OK. ?You can't really tell if the stator burned up until you get it out where you can see it or maybe even off the cover if the burned spot is on the cover side.

I replaced both when just my stator failed - figured it was an easy way to have a spare R/R that I knew the history of and was still OK. ?That way, I won't have to wait for one in the mail if it fails.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

Heh, ya you know what I meant :p

I'm almost positive that the stator isn't burnt, because the continuity checks out alright and the resistance isn't over limit, it's just not putting out all the voltage it's supposed to.  At this point I don't mind, for peace of mind. *sigh*

I can't check the R/R tho because the other multimeter is gone, so I'll just have to run thru a recheck when I get the stator in.  If it dosen't work I'll be looking to buy another (probably from one of you guys, I really don't want to fork out a full 130 bucks for an electrex one, especially after what it's already costing)

Lucky

There are alternatives to out R/R's, check out this post: http://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=post;num=1097742801;title=Post+reply
check the junk yards & Epray for them. they may even be cheaper at the bike shop (not dealers)
--Lucky

louthepou

Hey, For sure I'd be cheaper than... "Epray", good one Lucky, first time I see that...

I must have one or two spares in here. Feel free to e-mail me if other searches fail; I'll dig a little and see what I got.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic