oh no, I've been suspended from eBay

Started by Night Vision, December 12, 2006, 09:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

I can't understand it  ???
I keep paying this and they keep saying I'm suspended

chumps >:(
looks so nice and official... don't it?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

don't even open those bullshit emails, doing so tells them you've read it, & they'll send even more....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Actually, opening them doesn't let them know that you're there any more.  What happens is the criminals hack into a machine someplace that has a public web site.  They put down the necessary stuff for the phishing expedition so that the email they send out goes to that machine.  When someone connects trying to correct their account, they log the information (usually name, address, SSN, PIN, Account, depending on who they're spoofing) and then redirect the victim to the real place (or pop up a message saying "Service not available".)

I had an opportunity to look into a site that was hacked recently and tore apart the code they used.

Brian

Night Vision

I don't open them. That's a print screen from the preview pane for my emails.

V_R is correct about phishing in that this email came to one of my email addresses that isn't even associated with eBay..

I get real nice ones from CitiBank too! I don't even have an account there  ???

the problem is these phonyBay ones scare the crap outta me  :o

I do inquire with sellers that list V parts for other parts...
8) "hey, did that Vision have a forkbrace?"  8) type of thing.....
I've bought a few parts offline and used paypal (been lucky so far).. if they ever put 2&2 together...  :-\ 
;D

Mutt

Quote from: Vision Rising on December 12, 2006, 10:49:50 AM
Actually, opening them doesn't let them know that you're there any more.  What happens is the criminals hack into a machine someplace that has a public web site.  They put down the necessary stuff for the phishing expedition so that the email they send out goes to that machine.  When someone connects trying to correct their account, they log the information (usually name, address, SSN, PIN, Account, depending on who they're spoofing) and then redirect the victim to the real place (or pop up a message saying "Service not available".)

I had an opportunity to look into a site that was hacked recently and tore apart the code they used.

Brian

It's my understanding they use a proxy server or emulation that uses your info in real time to log in to the actual site such as ebay/paypal. That's why if you give it bogus info it looks like it's really the site because it rejects the logon name and password. Of course the addy usually gives them away. I guess there's still plenty of people that don't know any better because they continue to try it.

Best thing to remember....no repectable business would request unsolicited security information via email.

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

kiawrench

lol,, i got one similar to that, and one from "paypal"  - thing is, i never listed any items for sale on ebay,, and i only use paypal after making arrangements at bank to allow the transfer.Helps to live next door to girl that processes electronic funds at my bank , was her idea .( have already dealt with id theft problem once,with a lot of help from my bank )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

Quote from: kiawrench on December 12, 2006, 10:19:28 PM
i only use paypal after making arrangements at bank to allow the transfer.Helps to live next door to girl that processes electronic funds at my bank , was her idea .( have already dealt with id theft problem once,with a lot of help from my bank )

haha... I was told by my banker lady bascially the same thing...open up a "small" separate account for eBay/paypal so if something does happen, you don't get your clock cleaned...

plus I got a cool picnic bbq grill for opening a new account  :D

;D