News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

'73 F-100 worth $500?

Started by Lucky, December 15, 2006, 10:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

i think i agree, perhaps some trucker exhaust stacks...
i just emailed the guy & told him it'll be after taxes in Jan or Feb if he's not in a rush, & to check with his friend how much to flatbed it here, so we'll see what he says.  if this works for him, then i'll go give it a good looking over next (or one of these) Sundays.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Quote from: ps2 on December 17, 2006, 02:01:00 PM
lucky if it were a short bed id be all over it. i dont care much for long beds. they are nice when you need to haul something long or a bike but other than that i think they are ugly.

It aint a real pickup if you can't put a sheet of plywood in the bed & close the tailgate.  I normally call short bed pickups "stupid trucks".   ;D

While I don't always need the 8' bed, it seems like whenever I haul something, it definitely wouldn't fit in a shortbed pickup.  When hauling stuff to the local landfill, they require the load to be covered - or they charge double.  With the mid-height camper shell & 8' bed, I can get a whole lot of shrubbery trimmings in there.  Can do in one trip what it took me 3 to do in my old Toyota P/U.

However, a supercab longbed pickup is a real pain in most urban parking lots!  Add in the wider turning radius of 4wd & it gets even worse.  Was out at the Olive Garder Friday (no, I didn't get sick) & had to jockey back & forth 4 times to get out of my parking space.   ::)  Another problem with 3/4 ton+ long bed supercab pickups is that much of the concrete interstate is not perfectly flat.  The paver creates some sort of oscillation when laying the concrete.  The wheelbase of the long trucks combines with the oscillation in the concrete & makes for a very rough ride.  It is noticeable in other wheelbases, but the supercab longbed is by far the worst.  Glad I don't spend much time on interstate highways.

Just goes to show that personal tastes differ.  It's what makes life interesting.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on December 17, 2006, 02:32:12 PM
Another problem with 3/4 ton+ long bed supercab pickups is that much of the concrete interstate is not perfectly flat.  The paver creates some sort of oscillation when laying the concrete.  The wheelbase of the long trucks combines with the oscillation in the concrete & makes for a very rough ride.  It is noticeable in other wheelbases, but the supercab longbed is by far the worst.  

that'll happen in 2003 GMC 4wd extended/access cab not-longbeds too!!
There are interstates in PA that make my truck say: "buck you"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Wide tread tires compund that problem too

h2olawyer

The stiff springs are the primary culprit.  That's why the 1/2 tons dont have as bad a problem.  I run the stock 235/85R16 size @ 50 PSI front & 45 PSI rear.  Getting tons of miles on them (Michelin XC-AT) but the ride is quite rugged.  Have over 40K miles on them so far & they still have about 1/2 the tread depth left.  Kind of amazing for a twin I-beam Ford front axle.  Rotating them every 5 - 7K miles sure helps.  I also had them siped when I bought them.  Really helps on icy roads.

The new Dodge Quad Cab dually long bed I drove to Phoenix & back last spring was worse than my truck.  At least when I had the loaded 28' race trailer connected, it rode a bit better.  Getting a decent load on the rear axle helps the ride.  Winter around here, I put a couple hundred pounds of sand in mine & up the rear tire pressure to 50 PSI.  Ride definitely improves.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

i had never heard of siping, so i googled it. (see "If you ever wondered" topic)

would it work for motorcycle tires?