News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Salvage Titles

Started by munkyfistfight, February 08, 2007, 02:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

Has anyone ever had to go through the process of registering a salvaged vehicle? Particularly a motorcycle? I suppose I could always look up the VIN and see who the last owner was. I was just curious to know if anyone ever went through that process.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

ps2/bikevision

i started to but gave up after getting the run around by ever person i talked to . the DMV told me to take it to the police station, they told me to got to the state police, they told me the  court house, and they told me the DMV, so i gave up and sold the motor and junked the frame. it was a bike i bought off ebay. the best i could come up with was taking it to the police, they would put it up for auction and i could buy it again. yea screw that i just wanted it for parts anyways. sorry this may not help at all.

Superfly

I have saved a couple of bikes from the junkyard.  My past 2 experiences were pretty much the same.  A bill of sale is good enough to get the bike tagged.  The CADMV is all computerized (and the system has not been in place very long)  so it is very possible to have a frame that is not in the system.  If that is the case, it is usually dirt cheap to register the bike.  If the frame is in the system, be prepaired to drop a couple of bills to catch up all the fees.

When I would get the bike ready (does not have to be 100% done, but road legal), I would go to the DMV, get a "1 day moving permit" to legally move the bike from my house to the DMV.  Take the bike to the DMV, and they have some forms to fill out.  The DMV does a quick check of the Vin (to see if it is in the system, and to make sure it is not stolen)  If everything comes back clear from the DMV, you get a temporary license plate (aka ghetto tags) to use until you take the bike to the state run highway law enforcement agency (here, it is the CHP) and they will do a deeper search on the frame & engine.  If all comes back well from there, they pass the inspection form, go back to the dmv, get your real tags, and a title comes in the mail 3-4 weeks later.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

I am about to go through the same thing.  Each state has different laws & procedures for obtaining a salvage or replacement title.  Basically, in Colorado, you must have a bill of sale & get the vehicle professionally appraised.  The appraisal cannot exceed $200 to get a salvage title, regardless of how much you paid for the bike.  A replacement title is available, but you must get a surety bond for double the appraised value of the vehicle.  Regardless of which title you go for, a VIN verification must be performed by a law enforcement agency.  Then they do a search to see if it was stolen.  After all those hurdles, and if everything comes back clean, you get your title in 6 to 8 weeks.

The procedures in your state may be different.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

if you can locate at least one prior OWNER, not junkyard, have them write a bill of sale ,and sign it, have it stamped by natary public, then take directly to state tax office, then dmv. have the bike declared abandoned,and salvaged ,then certified for use .   texas is the easiest place, any judge can declare it yours ,with out anything more than proof you tried to locate the last owner. just need a unopened registered letter to the last owner,and an appointment ,,,,, did it 8 or 9 times when i lived in el paso
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

QBS

Regardless of which state one lives in, to get a pretty good idea of the lost/salvage title aquisition process, go to a used car dealership and ask the manager what the procedure is.  There's a good chance, as a used car dealer, he has had to deal with this problem many times.

h2olawyer

Excellent idea, QBS.  The used car dealer can probably even give you names of people to deal with who know what they're doing.

I found out how to do it with an internet search.  Took me about 5 minutes & I didn't have to get out of my recliner.  Most states have the info on their DMV sites - just poke around a bit for your state's DMV & you should be able to find the info.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kevin

I have done it in Ill. It's tough. 

munkyfistfight

I appreciate the help guys. I'll try to find the last owner via VIN number and see if I can't get a bill of sale or whatnot. Then I'm going to try "the runaround" process. Thanks

-MFF
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Coil Coyle

Munky,

Most states also have a lien process that is available to the owners of the property the bike is on. If you rent, your landlord could do a lien sale.
         At your DMV the form will be "Application for a Lien Sale" or similar title.
$0.02
;)
Coil

ColinthePilot

my friend and i have done this twice (second time is on my V and is still in the works). I bought my V from a towing yard, no keys, no title, nothing more than the assurance that its legal cuz they would be in hot water if it wasn't. got a bill of sale. In Florida, you need proof of prior registration to register it here. Maine only requires bill of sale, proof of insurance, and copy of your driver's license. Maine Motor Transport will take care of the whole thing from out of state, by mail. its easiest to call them since their website sucks. (207)-623-4128. have your name, vin, and some other stuff ready over the phone and they'll have your application package in your mailbox in a few days. mail it back with all the proper paperwork, and Maine will send you plates and registration in a few weeks.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Night Vision

do you also get a title from Maine? or just plates and registration?
also, do you have to get insurance issued from a company doing business in Maine?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano