I am very frustrated!!! with my vision

Started by mustang_pg, February 13, 2007, 04:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang_pg

Hi, to everyone. I'm new to this site and i have read a lot of interesting info about the vision. I am curious if I could get some specific help on my 82 vision.

WHEN.. i get it started lol it will idle between 1500-2500 rpms.. i rev it up to about 6000 rpms and let it drop,,, it drops fast until about 3000 and slowly makes its way down to 1500 now i am not very mechanical apt but i would think it should drop fast all the way to my idle point am i wrong? allright my biggest problem is while i am riding and in neutral about 3500-4000 rpm i get alot of backfire, bogging out i don't know what to call it. but below 3500 and about 4000 it is fine.. when I'm riding it, it will jerk real hard that that point also but rides great below and above. I'm so confused on what to do.

this is what i have done to the bike to try to fix this problem...

i have change the stator, rectifier, tci box, spark plugs, i have rebuilt the carb(82 keystor carb kit) i have soaked them in cleaner for 2 or 3 days ( i have done this about 20 times literally ) i added a fuel filter i plugged off the yics box (it did leak but i fixed the leak by cutting it in half with bansaw and added gasket and sealent and that stopped the leak but made the bike run worse (bad idle hard start etc...)) i have synced the carbs after every time i have dipped them , i have changed all fuel lines and vacuum hoses.

i am out of ideas and hope some one here can help i have lost 2 riding season because of this problem, but i don't want to get rid of the bike it is a great bike looks and power i just don't know what to do about this PLZ HELP !!!!!!! I want to ride the summer!!

thanks to every one,

josh

Coil Coyle

Hi Josh, welcome to Vision carburetor tuning. :P

The synchronizing of both carbs throttle linkage is important for both idle and part throttle running. The proper way is to balance both intakes idle vacuum with a manometer.

You can get close enough to run by backing out the idle speed screw until it does not push on the throttle lever, then loosen the lock nut on the connecting rod between the two carbs and adjust the linkage so that both carbs start to move at the same time when the throttle is turned. Then turn the idle screw back in to set the idle speed, you will be close. Small adjustments in the rod length until the cylinders fire evenly should get you riding until a manometer is available.

Check both cylinders compression.

$0.02
;)
Coil

YellowJacket!

Hi Josh,

When you soaked the carbs did you remove all the jets and rubber grommets?  If not, its possible that there is still some gunk stuck in there.  Also, carb cleaner can break down the rubber seals.

The GOOD thing though is that it runs and you have found the best place to come for answers.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

the problems you are having are 'low speed' which is primarily controlled by the pilot system. 

when you clean the carbs are you removing those adjustment needles (and the springs, tiny washer & tiny o-ring)?  originaly (here in the U.S.) they are coverd by an aluminum plug and are not visable. 

also the needle adjustment is critical.  if you've been reading this Forum hopefully you've seen references to "2.5 & 3.5 turns out".  those are initial adjustments for the pilot screws.  hopwe this helps.

where are you located? there may be another Visionary nearby who can help.

--Lucky

EDIT: i see your in Indiana, you have a couple of us near you...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: mustang_pg on February 13, 2007, 04:34:50 AM
i have soaked them in cleaner for 2 or 3 days ( i have done this about 20 times literally )josh

Hi Josh,
Sometimes, depending on the chemical(s) and how far you have stripped down your carb's...long term dipping can do more harm than good :o ALL solvent cleaner's will, apart from doing a pac man on the crud in your carb's, will effect ALL & ANY non metallic part(s)...to some degree...e.g. "O" ring's, diaphragm's, seal's, etc will swell out of proportion, degenerate or simply dissolve.

A lot also depends on how long your "V" has stood, however, you do say its ridable...to some degree :)

Not knowing how far you have gone...let's, (I hate this word!!!)...assume, you have soaked with a partial strip down...you can virtually guarantee that ALL the crap hasn't been removed in its entirety AND non metallic part(s) have been affected in some way. Remedy...one carb at a time...do a FULL strip down, soak, blow thru' EVERY orifice with compressed air and rebuild...making sure that you don't mix up front and rear jet's...(Oh, this can easily happen, believe me)...Once re-built, do second carb.
However, if you have completely, in your own mind, stripped, soaked and correctly re-built your carb's then I suspect you have a  synchronizing error... ;)

"Lucky" is recognized, by many, as our "CARB GURU"... 8) Most of us have gone thru' the same problem(s) as you and can therefore also help you get the best from your "V".

Finding this site will, I guarantee, give you a far better understanding of the problem(s) AND more importantly, the "Fixe's" to them to give you a great, fun riding Vision. With a wee bit more time and patience...you will be riding your "V", with a smile on your face ;D and helping other's fix and enjoy their Vision(s)...Here is a recent quote from DaveTN..."It sat outside under a deck for about 12 to 15 years not being ridden and not even close to being properly prepped for storage". Now go find one of his posting's and look at his pride and joy resurrection... 8)

Welcome to your new and extended "Family", where somebody will always be here to help/advise you... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

mustang, if you are sure the accel cable isnt binding, and you dont have any air leaks, redo the carbs completely,, if it seems to be a bit above what you want to do,, post here a request for a rebuilder ,and buy the carbs kits, am sure someone will step up and make deal to help you out. then sync those carbs ,very very carefully.   then ride like you stole it.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

mustang_pg

hey thanks everybody for your advice. i will be sure to use it  im going to start over with an open mind hopefully it will help.... if i cant get it to work this time is there anybody local willing to take a the time to fix this for me money is not an issue i just want to ride this summer i want to try to fix it first but if i cant i would apreciate some help if theres some one interested in this offer email me at mustang_pg@yahoo.com and we can talk details thanks

josh

kiawrench

just keep in mind, she is 25, went unloved for years and being oriental,lack of attention and love can make her a bit spitefull,, but with a bit of time,and gentle care, she will recover and make you proud.

hey, i think i have used that same speech on guys in my military posts before,, sorry.  hang in there, you can fix her .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

GT @ oh.

My wife is asian and you are absolutely correct about the spiteful part. ;) Listen to him mustang he obviously knows what he's talking about. ;D

zore

Quote from: mustang_pg on February 13, 2007, 04:34:50 AM
Hi, to everyone. I'm new to this site and i have read a lot of interesting info about the vision. I am curious if I could get some specific help on my 82 vision.

WHEN.. i get it started lol it will idle between 1500-2500 rpms.. i rev it up to about 6000 rpms and let it drop,,, it drops fast until about 3000 and slowly makes its way down to 1500 now i am not very mechanical apt but i would think it should drop fast all the way to my idle point am i wrong? allright my biggest problem is while i am riding and in neutral about 3500-4000 rpm i get alot of backfire, bogging out i don't know what to call it. but below 3500 and about 4000 it is fine.. when I'm riding it, it will jerk real hard that that point also but rides great below and above. I'm so confused on what to do.

this is what i have done to the bike to try to fix this problem...

i have change the stator, rectifier, tci box, spark plugs, i have rebuilt the carb(82 keystor carb kit) i have soaked them in cleaner for 2 or 3 days ( i have done this about 20 times literally ) i added a fuel filter i plugged off the yics box (it did leak but i fixed the leak by cutting it in half with bansaw and added gasket and sealent and that stopped the leak but made the bike run worse (bad idle hard start etc...)) i have synced the carbs after every time i have dipped them , i have changed all fuel lines and vacuum hoses.

i am out of ideas and hope some one here can help i have lost 2 riding season because of this problem, but i don't want to get rid of the bike it is a great bike looks and power i just don't know what to do about this PLZ HELP !!!!!!! I want to ride the summer!!

thanks to every one,

josh

Josh,

Sounds to me like the carbs just need to be set correctly.   The high idle is usually caused by the idle speed knob being in too far to compensate for improper idle mixture.  I simply played wiht the idle mixture until the idle went up.  I backed the idle speed knob out and adjusted the idle mixture again on both carbs.  I continued this until the idle speed knob was backed out as far as it would go while retaining a good idle.  You really need to get the mixture right.  I'd then sync the carbs using a manometer and do the idle mixture adjustment again.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Walt_M.

Josh, are you sure you are ready for this? Your carbs are seriously off, don't know if it is cleaning, an air leak or what but you can't set a date to have your Vision running and jusy throw money at it. If you will read the suggestions and apply them, you can get the bike going. If you just want to ride this summer and money is no object, just go down to the dealer of your choice, pick one out and give him the money.
Whale oil beef hooked!

mustang_pg

hey Walter_ M. Maybe i miss lead you ..see... I'm not just trying to slap it all together and hope for the best and then through money in the air if it doesn't work just to ride a bike this summer i came here because every one here is very experienced and i thank every one for there suggestions and i will use everything to my benefit to try and trouble shoot my problem on my V. See i am not very mechanical and if your suggestions cant get me through my problem i would rather offer someone here that is very knowlagable with this bike to fix my problem rather then send it to a local shop and have them rip into my V knowing nothing about it see this bike means a hole lot to me and i wont trust it to just any one and I'm not going to give up and go and get another bike and ride something with no meaning to it just to ride so I'm sorry if i miss lead you and i will be starting my project again starting Saturday so everyone hope me luck and thanks again to every one that has given me help and i will use it to my advantage to over come my problem .... thanks again everyone

josh

Walt_M.

Josh, perhaps I just misread you but I sensed a bit of impatience. These bikes require patience and a willingness to work beyond all else. I don't think anyone on this site is a professional bike mechanic. We ride Visions because we like them and we want to and are willing to fix what goes wrong when we have to. We will offer advice on what to look for and how to fix what you find wrong. Maybe somebody will offer to fix your bike for pay but it isn't me.
Walt
Whale oil beef hooked!

GT @ oh.

Turn down idle to 1200-1500rpm.... when warmed up.     I had similar problems when I turned idle screw up to high while not quite warmed......Surging/bucking when decelling/comeing to stops....turned it back down it was fine.