News:

Main Menu

Has my battery died?

Started by Phatjap, December 30, 2006, 03:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phatjap

Hello all, hope you had a good Xmas.

Well winter is with us and sadly I havent ridden my vision for about 3 months now. I'm a little concerned with her and the state of the electrics and would like a few opinions. Sadly I dont have a garage for her so she's been under a bike cover for about 3 months. I tried to charge the battery up and start her the otrher day but after a 10 hour charge, she did nothing..........a mildy faint light and buzzing from one of the relays in the light unit....upon checking the battery ther was only 3.5 volts in it, even after a 10 hour charge?? I tried again but the same.....The batter is only about 6 months old, and only used for 3 of those months? Would it be knackered just because it went totally flat?  Also, I'm a bit worried there may be other dmage to the electrics caused by the damp, is this possible? What would be best course of action?

Regards and happy new year....

Phatjap.
Skype me. Phatjap

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Try a Battery Tender or similar device to charge it.   The battery might come back if the fluid didn't freeze. Your electrics are probably okay if the bike is covered.  I would put some grease on the battery terminals.  If you can find a gel mat replacement battery (the kind that never needs water), I'd go with that.  If you want to do a lot of work, clean each connector with contact cleaner before geting the bike ready for spring.

Walt_M.

I would guess that your battery electrolyte is low. Top it up with distilled water and put the charger on for about an hour. If the battery is any good, that ought to at least get it to run the starter.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

???  Why did you leave the battery on the "V" when parked up out-side for winter... ??? It ALWAYS pays to remove and store in-doors in a warm, dry area...like a good old fashioned English airing cupboard. Either plugged into a battery tender or trickle charged monthly.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Phatjap

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Hi Tiger, I didn't really know it was not going to be used again at that point......the bike has an alarm on it, you know what the Brits are like.

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap

Tiger

Quote from: Phatjap on December 31, 2006, 04:50:36 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice.

Hi Tiger, I didn't really know it was not going to be used again at that point......the bike has an alarm on it, you know what the Brits are like.

Cheers

:o...OOOOOOOH YER... ::) If it isn't bolted down, chained, locked & alarmed.......bye-bye... ::)

8).......TIGER...(Ex-Brit!!!)....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

MotorPlow

Is it possible that the battery charger did not have a good connection to the battery, thus not actually giving it a good charging?

Phatjap

Hi motorplow, yes the connections were good.

Upon trying it again, I noticed the battery charger was very hot and still did notcharge the battery, I suppose this could be a sign of the charger failing or a battery problem.
Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap

Scott_Mc

1. what kind of charger are you using?  If it is a trickle charge type than 10 hours is NOT enough for a dog dead battery.  Alternatively you don't want to charge too quickly either.  Put a multi-meter on the battery terminals when the charger is connected and operating.  You should get a reading of 13V or so depending on the charger.

2. Like Walt said, check the water level.  If only 6 months old, you really should not need any but it is a simple thing to check and when properly maintained, extends the battery life.

3. if you have the caps off the battery and the charger connected (this must be done carefully as the battery gasses can be explosive!) you should notice a very light bubbling in each cell depending on your charge rate.  If not you may have a dead cell.

4. Does your bikes' alrm system create a current draw?  Good guess that it is the culprit here?
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Phatjap on December 30, 2006, 03:31:49 PM
Hello all, hope you had a good Xmas.

Well winter is with us and sadly I havent ridden my vision for about 3 months now. I'm a little concerned with her and the state of the electrics and would like a few opinions. Sadly I dont have a garage for her so she's been under a bike cover for about 3 months. I tried to charge the battery up and start her the otrher day but after a 10 hour charge, she did nothing..........a mildy faint light and buzzing from one of the relays in the light unit....upon checking the battery ther was only 3.5 volts in it, even after a 10 hour charge?? I tried again but the same.....The batter is only about 6 months old, and only used for 3 of those months? Would it be knackered just because it went totally flat?  Also, I'm a bit worried there may be other dmage to the electrics caused by the damp, is this possible? What would be best course of action?

Regards and happy new year....

Phatjap.

Phat,
        Take a voltage reading on the output leads of your charger. Use a meter that will read Alternating Current. Blown rectifiers will pump your battery with AC and it will never charge.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Phatjap

Skype me. Phatjap

Phatjap

Ok
I just checked the battery and one side is warm and the other is cold. The chargers are ok, I tried my old battery and charges up fine. So it seems like the battery has in fact died.
Skype me. Phatjap

Tiger

Quote from: Phatjap on January 08, 2007, 02:09:24 PM
Ok
I just checked the battery and one side is warm and the other is cold. The chargers are ok, I tried my old battery and charges up fine. So it seems like the battery has in fact died.

:) PJ,
        You do have some recourse under British consumer law. The product must be fit for the purpose intended and first quality, (unless otherwise stated e.g. refurbished, seconds, etc,). You also have obligation's...that you used and looked after the product, as specified under the warranty. So...do not be to liberal with your explanation, when you return it... ;) Take the battery back to where you purchased it and ask for a replacement under warranty... ;) A good retailer will keep his customer happy... 8) In the mean time, charge and use your old one for your alarm system.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Phatjap

Well, the company agreed to send another battery ;D

PJ
Skype me. Phatjap

Phatjap

Hi
What should the battery voltage be? After a good charge and after a few days it is constant at 12.7v, is that good or too low?

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap

h2olawyer

That's good & strong.  The V's battery - fully charged & without any trickle charger attached - should be right around 12.5 volts.  12.7 is excellent.

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

After sitting in Ohio for 3 months, I got mine here in Florida. The battery was at 12.0 volts. I took the ignition lock off and hot wired it(as I had lost the key) and after probably 30 seconds of cranking, she fired up! It died right away but I gave it several throttle blips while cranking and got it running. I even took it for a ride but then things got worse. After about 15 miles, I had to put it on reserve and it misfired intermittantly from there on. I suspect water in the gas as, obviously I did not leave it with a full tank. My bad!
Whale oil beef hooked!