News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

OK I need help!

Started by dminor, January 05, 2007, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dminor

Took the little "V" out for a test. Starts good, it should the carbs are spot less. Pulls really good at all rpm ranges, BUT. If I have to hold the throttle steady between 55 plus, it surges!!! The limiter wire is cut, the carbs are sync'ed, and they are clean. 3rd set of carbs and it does the same thing ??? So I need HELP!
The bike pulls at any speed or RPM, all the way to redline in 5th. The surging is a pain in the A$$ if you know what I mean.Tach and speedo don't appear to change,just the feeling of the surge.
  Any suggestions?
Don

PS.I did not blow it up ,This time!

EH

could be a leak between carb or carbs and cylinder head. make sure enrichener is seated when closed. stop twitching when you cruise. just kidding.

dminor

EH,
    Thanks ,but I already checked the carb boots. Changed both with new seals.
   I do have a throttle lock, it still does it when it is locked.
    Nice try .
Don ;)

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Don,
Did you change ALL the vacuum/gas line's out for new one's... ??? and are they tight. I would also, if still attached, disconnect and plug off the YIC's unit and then give it a test run.

???.......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on January 05, 2007, 10:38:47 PM
YICS or no?

H2O

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D...Great minds think alike... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dminor

To All,
  Changed all the lines. Yikes checked good at neg 25 psi. I will try a run in the mourning without it.
Don ;)

Lucky

consider other vacuume related items on the bike:
leaking fuel pump, petcock (vacuume leak, not nessacarily fuel) airbox flapper pot (or try an adjustment, the mounting holes are slotted)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I recall having surging when my pilots weren't adjusted spot on....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kevin

I would check the float levels, thinking too low. You can do this with a clear hose off of your carb drain lines. It's in the hanes manuel.

dminor

Test run today was ok at first, I changed out the pilot jets on the top of the carbs and replaced the top of the airbox with a spare. The surge was less but still there.
  Next I removed and capped off the yikes, bad news, massive hesitation!!! and surge at all rpm and speed ranges.
   Next I will check or replace all other vac lines.
Don ???

jefferson

It sounds as if your mixture is changing at steady throttle which could be the flapper opening and closing due to vacumn changes. You might try adding some weight to the flapper to see what that does. Tape a nickel to it and then try two nickels and see what that does for you. If you can adjust the flapper a little more closed it should help and vacumn test the chamber to make sure there are no leaks there too.

Jeff