News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Question?

Started by Junior, December 28, 2006, 05:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

The V is fine, but one of my other favorite rides has developed age related harness connector problems. I need to replace one to four wire connectors. Anyone know of a source for these? I would prefer to repair rather go into harness replacement. Thanks

Walt_M.

You might try Radio Shack but a marine supply place might better as they would be more likely to have something waterproof or at least water resistant.
Whale oil beef hooked!

louthepou

Or, any one of us "Vision collectors" could mail you a handful of misc. connectors salvaged from one of our dead Visions...

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

QBS

Go to your closest bike recycling center and buy a salvaged wiring harness.  It doesn't have to be in pristine, ready to use condition.  Cut off and splice in whatever males and females you need, as needed.  If possible, always make soldered connections protected by shrink tubing.  All the best.

Lucky

I don't know what your other favorite ride is, but i replaced my entire harness on my V in about an hour, it wasn't that hard...much less time than soldering in several connectors...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

Mikes XS

http://www.mikesxs.net/

more specifically:

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-electrical.php?category_id=2.6

(starts about halfway down)

there ya go.. good for another 20 years.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Kevin

Blake, Thats a neat site it has some things I haven't seen elsewhere.

Blake

Quote from: Kevin on December 30, 2006, 10:56:33 AM
Blake, Thats a neat site it has some things I haven't seen elsewhere.

Yeah.  I found it a few years ago when i was looking for parts for my XS650 and realized theres a bunch of things that could be used on the vision.

Want a new gas tank badge?  he has it.  pretty much exact "yamaha" copy.  cheap too at something like 30 bucks (last time i checked).. if your the kind to see something and figure out how to make it fit, its definately the site to browse around for a hour or so.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Junior

Great help. Thanks everyone. The other bike is odd ball model. 1983 CB550SC Honda which in itself interesting since Honda did not have a production line for the 550 in 1983. Honda was dealing with the same market problems as other makers in 83 and  year model was a put  together of what they were already marketing. Basicly it is a short stroke 650cc with lighter crank and 1" shorter swingarm and other Honda model 550 parts will not fit. The 650 cases were machine to fit the lighter crank. Every since the 82 V I seem to have a "thing" for odd year model bikes. Incidently, I now have my first 82 V back which I had to sell due to family member totaling out my 4 wheeler and insurance company only paid a pitance of what it cost when I purchased. Needed $. How I happend to get the V back is  itself a very funny story and I thought about posting it, but I doubt most forum would believe it, so I passed on that thought. Life really is stranger than fiction. Happy New Year to everyone.

Tiger

Quote from: Junior on December 31, 2006, 12:56:45 PM
Incidently, I now have my first 82 V back....  How I happend to get the V back is  itself a very funny story and I thought about posting it,  Happy New Year to everyone.

8) Great that you got her back...Awwww, come on...you have to post the story... 8)...Best wishes to you and your's... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

I'm with Tiger - saying you have an interesting story & then not relating it is like telling a joke & omitting the punchline!

:D  "Enquiring minds want to know."   :D
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Junior

OK, lets just call this believe it or not. Young gentleman, a very good rider purchases V. Young man marries high school sweet heart. Spending a two week honeymoon in their new home setting up house. Young groom ask sweet bride if she would like to take a ride on V. She had never been on MC and he promised to be careful and she would like it. OK-Helmets on, both sitting on V while it warms up, groom begans to ride off carefully, and playful young bride grabs him( you fill in the blank) and yells loudly. V, groom, bride all now laying beside one another on driveway. He rushed over to her and removed helmet. She stood up, very angry, and said, " I have had a lot of guys try to put something up my (you fill in the lines) but you are the first one that tried it with a MC, and stormed into home. OH, OH. The young mans neighbor across the high way ended up with a V, two helmets, jacket and any thing else that resemble a MC by sundown that same day, at a very very cheap price. Honeymoon is resumed. New buyers wife at church helping prepare Christmas program. Buyer decides to park newly acquired MC on his RV pad and tell wife about it later. Next day around noon, sunshine-great weather, buyer decides to learn how to ride V. Wife not there. He has a long hard surface driveway on a farm from highway to home. Slowly rides up down drive getting the feel of new toy. Decides to nail in 1st and 2nd to get the feel of excitement we all like. OH, Oh. Garage unexpectdly approaching rapidly in front of him. Can't stop. turns to left onto grassy lawn to stop. Applies brakes.( Second man down) Wife coming home at the most inopportune time, stated to him, now you have torn up the neighbors MC and will have to have it fixed. Buyer brings wife up to date on purchase. What????? After purchasing wife new dishwasher that same day at Lowes, I get a phone call. Would you like to buy you old V back at a reasonable price. No, cannot, I am broke. No problem, do I have anything I would trade for V. Traded an old Riding lawnmower I had, for the V and equipment plus $50 and he brought V to my home. V parked in corner of my garage. I am out there talking to it "So now you are back home". Was not aware that my wife had entered the garage from home and was behind me. "Are YOU talking to a MC"? No, I replied, just mumbling to myself about damage mirrors, turn signals and etc. Here is $50 I made, thats yours. She smiled, walked back into house, pausing at door, and singing "You were talking to a MC, You were talking to a MC" in a playful voice. She went inside. Getting dark and cold outside, so I shut the garage doors and started in for the night. I just had to speak to V one more time as I walked by, I said "You really don"t like girls do you"? We shall see how this all ends-Junior

Lucky

There is a punchline to this joke, but out of respect to another Visionary, & his wife, i'll skip it, but it has something to do with his b _ _ _ s . (you fill in the blank)  :o 8)

Your right, you probably shouldn't have told me.. ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Thanks Junior - now it doesn't feel as though the song ended an a 7th!   ;D

Good story.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

;D I liked it, anyway... ;D ;D ;D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!