News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Some "before" photos

Started by plavix, December 18, 2006, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plavix

I am trying to post some photos of my 83 vision as it looked when I got it, and during the tear down phase...I wasn't able to make it happen, so I am posting a link to my photo database on Yahoo's "flickr" page.  In addition to the Vision photos, you can see one of the 1987 ZX600 I restored. 

FWIW, I have found Yahoo's flickr to be a nice photo hosting/sharing site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32006596@N00/

Enjoy,

Tony

Night Vision

nice seat  ::)

are you doing swing arm RR also? just curious how much effort and cost that would be
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Nice job on the ZX.  Looks great.  The XZ looks like quite a project but if you are as diligent with it as it appears you were on the Kaw, you'll really love your Vision!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Superfly

Nice 83! 
THAT looks like a fun project!
But I saw a pic of your zx600...
It is funny, I have restored a few Visions, so I went to some older ninjas for a new project
(2 older zx600's  one 86, A model, one 88, C model)
VERY fun bikes...

All I am going to say is that the parts for the ninjas were easier to find!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

plavix

Superfly...your 86 has the same tank as my 87 "A3" model.  That is the one thing that bugs me about mine...the tank not matching the color scheme, but I haven't gotten around to painting it.  Now, it will be even longer since I am focusing on the Vision.  Did you do anything with your anti-dive valves on the 86?  I went through and rebuilt mine and they do make a difference, but sure make it a total pain in the butt to bleed the front brake system!  Six seperate bleed valves...uggh.

So what is your verdict between the A and C versions?  Which do you like better and why?

plavix

Night Vision...I don't intend to take the drive shaft apart, but I will clean everything up, and paint the swingarm.  I haven't read too much about the drive shaft except that it is not an easy component to take apart...and likely not necessary.  I do recall reading that the oil can be drained and new oil added...  Has anybody else messed with that component?

kiawrench

plavix,,, if the shaft works,, just clean it out, and refill as per service manual---nothing but trouble inside the shaft housing .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

plavix

Quote from: kiawrench on December 18, 2006, 07:50:37 PM
plavix,,, if the shaft works,, just clean it out, and refill as per service manual---nothing but trouble inside the shaft housing .

That's what I thought.  I generally try to only mess with stuff that needs to be messed with...or will need to be messed with in the near future.  From what I saw of the driveshaft in the manuals...I would rather not touch it.  Thanks for the confirmation Kiawrench!

Superfly

Quote from: plavix on December 18, 2006, 07:32:12 PM
Superfly...your 86 has the same tank as my 87 "A3" model.  That is the one thing that bugs me about mine...the tank not matching the color scheme, but I haven't gotten around to painting it.  Now, it will be even longer since I am focusing on the Vision.  Did you do anything with your anti-dive valves on the 86?  I went through and rebuilt mine and they do make a difference, but sure make it a total pain in the butt to bleed the front brake system!  Six seperate bleed valves...uggh.

So what is your verdict between the A and C versions?  Which do you like better and why?

I saw your tank, that is why I put the picture of the one I am working on with the same tank on it.  And yes, I did rebuild the anti-dive system (which works really well) and when I finally finished bleeding all 6 valves, the front brakes worked great!  But what a PITA!

The A versions I remember from when I was younger, and always thought they were the coolest thing ever.  I have restored both bikes from a frame & blown engines.  Here is a link to the process of restoration of both bikes. 
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-streetbikes-sportbikes/21436-88-zx600-restoration-pictures.html
They are both really good bikes.  The C model is very dependable, and a very skinny bike, which makes it perfect for lane splitting.  It is my daily ride while I have the Vision off the road for a upgrade (well, upgrade... fixing spun berring... same thing!).  But there is something about that A model, it is more solid.  I really like the way that the bike is put together.  I only have 10 miles on the rebuilt engine, so I am still breaking it in.  Just added a stage 1 jet kit to the carbs, and a Micron exhaust to it, so she has some pep in her step!  But both are really good bikes, I really cant complain.

The Vision is my baby though, I think I like the odd-ness off it.  I can ride to work on the ninja, and every-so-often see an A or C model, but I have yet to see another Vision.  I really like that.  Plus, that growl of a V twin engine is nice. 

plavix

Superfly...I remember following your restoration progress on that thread.  I remember thinking about how much work you were investing and your tenaciousness.  I had also posted a brief report on my restoration process...and noticed that you had replied within the thread!!!  http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-streetbikes-sportbikes/28168-resurrecting-1987-zx600a-ninja.html
Small world.

Tony

Superfly

HA!
That is funny!
Very small world (or internet)

Scott_Mc

and how about that diamond seat cover  :o !!  A labor of love to be sure! Good luck with her & thanks for sharing the photos!

-Scott
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!