News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Question time...

Started by Tiger, January 16, 2007, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:-\...Of ALL the up-grade's you have done to your "V"(s), which ONE do YOU consider the best of the bunch, and why. Initially, one "Up-grade" per person and then open house... ;) It will be interesting to see how many option's we can log... 8)

8)...of the many up-grade's to "The Mistress" I have to say that the installation of a full fairing, with working vent's, has made a huge improvement to ride comfort... 8) No more "bobble head" doll effect and the vent's extend the riding season a wee bit to... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

does removing the moss from the carbs count?

no?

ok then, guess I'd have to say.....

tapered steering stem bearings - biggest noticeable difference/bang for the buck
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Wow - where to begin?  Done so much, it's hard to decide which is best.  But, to make a choice - I'd have to say the tank liner.  It made the bike rideable again & allowed me to put on all the other upgrades in the first place.  If that's considered standard maintenance, I'll second Night Vision's nomination of the tapered steering bearings, for the same reason - plus the bike handles better than new with them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mystery Shopper

'83 risers for an '82

Why?
because a set will be coming up for charity auction next week!!! that's why  :D

Kenny

TIGER-Tiger...  Thats a hard one.
  I am going with the Euro Gearing as it makes the "V" a great long haul (read NO Vibration machine (just ask Dorothy! Can't wait for the Open House portion!!!
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Brian_Matthewson

Tiger...
No question for me...a throttle lock! This poor man's cruise control makes long highway days possible!
Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

YellowJacket!

I have to go with my first choice, tapered bearings.  Theres a second and third choice for later too. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

That is a tough one, but i'm going to narrow it to a catagory, instead of one thing:

suspention \ handling
and in that catagory i'd say a fork brace, but good tires, the 83 front end, balance tube, 83 rear shock all had a big contibution.

Adding the full fairing would have been a waste without a suspention that could handle the extra weight & my 215#'s.. and still allow me to carve out twisties on weekends...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

I'd have to say the clip-on handlebars; not that it makes the ride better or more comfortable (far from that) but because it's the most significant change I've made to my ride!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

don_vanecek

Quote from: Night Vision on January 16, 2007, 10:47:59 PM
does removing the moss from the carbs count?

You said it Night Vision, I'd say the biggest improvement in all the years I've had my V is getting the carbs to work right-it was a no fun hitting that famous dead spot from 4-5000 rpm every time you shifted though the gears. I think this counts as an upgrade since the cure (in my case anyway) is not factory stock, cleaning of course, jets, restrictor plates,tank liner and fuel filter.  

MotorPlow

Tappered Head Bearings for sure. No more head shake. Just makes the bike more enjoyable.

As my bike came with a full fairing and progressive springs, a very close second and third would have to be heated grips and a heated vest. I now ride all year 'round.

Brian Moffet

Tapered bearings followed closely by my Corbin saddle.

Brian

Scott_Mc

Upgrades have been few...

Nice set of Metzelers.  Cornering confidence makes them worth it to me!  The factory Dunlops were luggage :P and not as good to begin with.

Got to learn about this tapered head bearing thing. News to (newbie) me!
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Tiger

Quote from: Scott_Mc on January 17, 2007, 03:59:50 PM

.......Got to learn about this tapered head bearing thing. News to (newbie) me!

:)...Scott...don't be blue, 'cause thing's are new to you... ;D :D ;). Here are the one's I got from eee-bay recently. They where great to deal with...The original set didn't arrive...I e-mailed them, explaining lack of delivery and they sent out another set with an apology... 8)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-XZ550-XZ-550-Steering-Head-Stem-Bearings-Kit_W0QQitemZ220010446531QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10490QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

supervision

The combination of 83 brakes and bars, because it made slowing so much better, and got rid of the flexy feeling of the 82 bars.  Later I added the steel lines and the brakes got even better.  I am of the thought that the extra weight of the second  brake is taxing the forks, would like to try a better single caliper on the one disc, as a test.   Anybody running one big caliper?
" border="0

Scott_Mc

Thanks Tiger,

OK as not to thread-jack, I did a search for "tapered" to get more info and all I got in the results were the posts in THIS thread?  Is the search function about useless or did I do something wrong?

Quote from: supervision...I am of the thought that the extra weight of the second  brake is taxing the forks...
I don't know what you are smoking but I'd like some ;D
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Lucky

try searching for "steering head bearings", or "steering stem bearings"

he's not smoking anything, 83 Visions have dual brakes up front, take a close look at my bike, or any in the gallery & you'll see 'em., but i doubt they are taxing the forks...

--Lucky
Go Red Sox!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

After 43000 miles, I don't see any signs of damage because of the extra weight of the second front brake.  My front end looks to be in great shape (barring the corrosion, not caused by the second brake  ::) ) 

And yes, I've been completely through it  ;)

Brian

Ron_McCoy

I have to say the same category as Lucky, suspension/handling.  Katana forks, steering head bearings, Ninja brakes, quality tires, and 83 shock. No fork flex, no headshake, tremendous stopping power, and no pogoing at the rear makes for lots of fun in the twisties.

Ron

supervision

Sorry, what I ment by taxing the forks, I was refering to unsprung weight to dampen and extra rotating mass in the second disk. 
" border="0