Main Menu

Question time...

Started by Tiger, January 16, 2007, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoracer8

Tapered stem bearings are a good start. I added a pair of gold valves to the front forks so they have real damping. The type of forks Visions have, and many other bikes from that era, have too much compression damping, and not enough rebound. If you use a lighter vis oil to reduce compression, you have no rebound. Yeah the forks flex alittle, but if you get the forks to work right the flex is not as noticeable. A set of progressive springs make a big difference. A real rear shock will help more than anything elce, even a good 83 shock dosen't compare to a good after market shock. Works  performance, Wilber's, Hagon, Almost any thing is better than 25 year old stock one, they weren't all that good then they were new.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

kwells

Ken,
I've been considering an aftermarket rear monoshock.  What are the price ranges for these and what models would you recommend?

Kevin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

The ones I've found in the 350 - 450 range, but I didn't do a serious look (it was outside my immediate budget for doing repairs, and the rear shock is fairly easy to replace.)

Brian

Cdnlouie

Hey Ken (motoracer), where did you get the gold valves from?  Is there is an upgradeable cartridge type available anywhere for the Vision? It would be very nice to improve the damping of the front end of the Vision.

Louie  :-\

motoracer8

Louie, they are called Gold valve cartridge emulators. They are made by Race tech, 3227 Producer way #127 Pomona Ca. 91768 www.race-tech.com   They don't have a direct applaction for a Vision, I got a set that fit inside 35mm forks, I belive they were for a Kawasaki KX80. They are not a drop in deal, some work is required. I've installed several sets in dirt bikes, they make a big difference. I use a Hagon rear shock, its made in England, App. for 82/83, It was about $450, thats a 1998 price. Look on the net you'll find them. You could probbly get a Works performance for about the same price. I've used both brands on verious projects, they are both quality products.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

supervision

Louie, I just put a set in my bike too, if you look on RT site and look up 1980 xs 650 Yamaha, those are the ones that fit.  their part # FEGV S3001      I first tryed them with stock springs, then I cut 4 coils off the stock springs (to increase the spring rate aprox. 10%) , made up about longer spacers to get the ride height. Went on another test ride, what a difference! Hard to describe how much better the front end is, really big improvement! 
" border="0

supervision

The reason for the stock springs instead progressive, is the straight wound is more correct with this type of damping.  sv
" border="0