News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

This CAN'T be good

Started by Night Vision, January 17, 2007, 04:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

saw a very large flock of Canada Geese flying south today...

middle of January? Geese Flying South?

I smell trouble  :-[
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Remember I said it was 75 degrees out just three days ago and how I wished we got some snow?  Well, let me rethink that a bit.  Its freakin 21 today and I'm COLD!  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Quote from: DaveTN on January 17, 2007, 07:44:19 PM
Remember I said it was 75 degrees out just three days ago and how I wished we got some snow?  Well, let me rethink that a bit.  Its freakin 21 today and I'm COLD!  :o

David

Wimp   ;D :D
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

21 above?
or below   :o

it's so friggin cold here my tailpipe froze...  >:(

now THAT'S freezing your a$$ off  :D :D
;D

h2olawyer

Over the weekend, we never got out of the single digits above zero (F).  Nights were from -5 to -15 (F).  Today it got all the way up to 32 (F).  Supposed to cool down a little over the weekend with snow flurries Saturday & Sunday & an  additional 1 - 2 inches on Monday.  When winter hit here just before Christmas, it decided to stick around fo a few weeks.  We normally have some days in the upper 40s or lower 50s this time of year.  Hasn't gotten above the low 40s since the first blizzard.  Glad I have lots of poly fleece in various weights.  Wonder if the groundhog will see his shadow this year. . .

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kenny

Yup,
    Not much open water up this way (down to -18 C) last night.We had the wood furnace up to Mach 3.
       I have'nt seen any Canada's nor any Brass monkey's in the last few days! :-[
                               Stay Cozy.
                                            Ken S.
  p.s. N/V thanks for the shock info. :D
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

ps2/bikevision

its too cold here, all the trees have ice build up on them and breaking off limbs. my yard has limbs all over it but its too cold to go out and drag them out back.

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on January 17, 2007, 04:59:08 PM
saw a very large flock of Canada Geese flying south today...

middle of January? Geese Flying South?

I smell trouble  :-[

::)...They are snowbird's...looking for snow, seeing we don't have much here in the not-so-frozen north ::)  ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

for the first time in almost 7 years, there was snow in the air at myrtle beach sc-- it didnt stick, and it only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was there!! a friend at the grocery said it started a flood of buying on bread milk and beer!!  what are these people going to to do-- have milk and beer sanwhiches?
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

Quote from: Kenny on January 18, 2007, 12:28:00 AM
  Yup,
    Not much open water up this way (down to -18 C) last night.We had the wood furnace up to Mach 3.
       I have'nt seen any Canada's nor any Brass monkey's in the last few days! :-[
                               Stay Cozy.
                                            Ken S.
  p.s. N/V thanks for the shock info. :D

mach 3 I like that one

I know I'm going to regret this....: umm,,,, brass monkey?  ???

Quote from: kiawrench on January 19, 2007, 03:59:11 AM
......it started a flood of buying on bread milk and beer!!  what are these people going to to do-- have milk and beer sanwhiches?

yep, right after their pepsi and peanut breakfast drinks  ;)
;D

;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on January 19, 2007, 04:23:43 PM
]

I know I'm going to regret this....: umm,,,, brass monkey?  ???

:D :D :D...It comes from an old English saying..."Its cold enough to freeze the ball's off of a brass monkey"   :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D and/or " Its so cold I saw a brass monkey at the welders"    :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

;)...NOW YOU KNOW... ;)  ;D ;D ;D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Walt_M.

Now, who besides Tiger and myself would have heard of that! Anyway, looks like it is getting colder around here too. I was in Orlando this past week and it was 82 on Wednesday! I got home yesterday and it was in the 60s but it is expected to be in the 40s here next week. Not sure how cold it will be at night but I hope it doesn't freeze my tomato plants! I will be in Orlando again so my wife will have to deal with it here.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on January 20, 2007, 06:12:53 AM
Now, who besides Tiger and myself would have heard of that!

???...Ex_pat Walt, where from... ???

h2olawyer

Brass monkey balls have been freezing off here in Colorado as long as I can remember & that goes back to the early 1960s.  Whenever it gets really cold here, (below -10(F), I usually tell family & friends to bring in their brass monkeys.  I thought everybody knew about them.  Well everybody who's lived where there's real winter, anyway.   ;D

H2

Walt_M.

Tiger, I'm from the state of Ohio and I grew up hearing about brass monkeys in the cold. Not long ago, I heard another explanation though. In the days of wooden ships and iron men, the cannon balls were stacked on a dimpled brass plate next to the cannon. When it got very cold, the brass would contract and the cannon balls would roll off. The brass plate was called a monkey.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Interesting etymology lesson, Walt.  Sounds plausible.  Most 'quaint' phrases have some basis in history.  Looks like an interesting topic for research.  Good way to kill some of a cold, snowy day.

H2O

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on January 20, 2007, 03:40:01 PM
In the days of wooden ships and iron men, the cannon balls were stacked on a dimpled brass plate next to the cannon. When it got very cold, the brass would contract and the cannon balls would roll off. The brass plate was called a monkey.

8)...Shiver me timber's matey if yer not correct... :o...You sir, are correct... 8)