XZ400 Discovery Tour

Started by XZv2, February 11, 2007, 03:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XZv2

Dear friends,
Finally, finally I finished my XZ400 discovery tour. I obtained a 400 engine from Simcha (thanks again!), took it to Holland, and it was on my workbench for months side-by-side with a 550 engine (see picture I try to post).
Well, both engines have been taken apart, and I tried to document all differences.
In short, the 400 flywheel and the balancer shaft are lighter, they are interchangeable with the 550 equivalents. The gear box has a different ratio for 5th gear. If you exchange both 5th gear camwheels, they are interchangeable.
The primary gear wheels are different, but that was documented before.
Of course the crankshaft, cylinders and heads are different between 550 and 400, but they fit in basically the same casts (cylinders550 in carters400 only with adaptation work).
I will use the light 400 flywheel and the light balancer shaft in a 550 "supersport", a project for the future.
The special 400 gear box makes the choice of gearing for XZ's even larger than before. There are 3 sets of primary gear wheels (400, 550 US and 550 Euro), and this 5th gear "close ratio" option might be interesting for sidecar-XZ's or racing XZ's.
I put all data I obtained up to now on xz550.nl, topic XZ400. The second part, XZ400 Discovery Tour is the new part with the data and pictures.

Also, I have a question on this 400 bike. The tach-unit has a light at the location where the 83 550 RK models have their fuel gauge (see picture with red arrow on xz550.nl/the XZ400. Is this perhaps a low level fuel warning light? Do Australian, NewZealand 400's have this light also??

XZv2

Night Vision

that shock looks interesting. I'm surprised that the Euros (besides the xz550S?) didn't have shocks with dampning.

I have a language translator (you have link to babble fish), but since I can't type Japanese characters, I can't translate what that light says...

if I could copy/paste it, the translator might work....

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

XZv2

No, NightVision, all XZ's I have seen here did not have rear adjustable damping. All, including 550S are 1982. The only Euro 1983 I know of, was of our Polish friend, who contributed some years ago to this forum.
Many, many new XZ were sold here in 83, 84, and 85, but they are all 1982 Euro versions. Perhaps a few "real 83" were imported here (new or secondhand), but up to now I did not see one in real shape or in an advertisnent.
No. I can't read Japanese too, but I hope one of the Japan (or Australia?) XZ riders know what this light is.
XZv2

tremalzo

Last year I bought a rear shock for my next project bike. Opening the parcel the shock surprisingly turned out to be an adjustable. Never seen one like this before. It came from a 84 UK xz550. My project bike also is a euro. It's a 85 and has a very rusty non adjustable shock model 82.

XZv2

Hi, Tremalzo, what is the year of manufacture mentioned on the steering head aluminum label and what is the frame- and engine number of the 85 bike?
Is the adjustable rear shock you bought from the UK similar to the 400 adjustable that is shown in the xz400 topic on xz550.nl?
XZv2

tremalzo

Hi XZv2

The UK shock is different from the one in the xz400 topic. Next weekend I'll sent you a pic and the other info at your pm.

Frans

XZv2

I received an answer to the question on the enigmatic light in the XZ400 tacho-unit (see xz550.nl topic XZ400).
An XZ400 rider from New Zealand informs me that his bike has such a light: it is a warning light that comes on at speeds above 80 km/h. 
XZ's are wonderful bikes, some versions have really remarkable goodies!!
XZv2

Night Vision

I would think that little bulb would have burned out by now, if it were on my Vision  :D

did Tremalzo ever send a picture of that shock?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

XZv2

Yes, NightVision, the bulb would burn most of the time, here also. It is also not so useful in New Zealand, that seems to have a 100 km/h speed limit.

Yes, Tremalzo did send a picture of the rear shock. It is the standard shock for the 83 XZ550 RK models, with a five-step adjustment for the hydraulic damping. Different from what I found on the UK XZ400.
XZv2

Lucky

Ok, so i have to wonder what triggers the light???

I can see if the TCI triggering the light to keep from over-reving the bike (with or instead of the rev limiter) but the speedo is a completely mechanical unit, there are no wires or electronics, & you said the light triggers at 80 km/h...

did they add a sensor to the speedo?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

XZv2

Yes, that is an interesting question, Lucky! Should be some kind of switch in the speedo. The speedometer of the XZ400 tach-unit I photographed in the UK (see picture at xz550.nl topic xz400) has a white (or originally different colour?) for 80+ speeds. This bike was sold new in Japan. I received the information that it is a 80+ warning light from an xz400 rider in New Zealand, where bikes with a similar tacho-unit are riding. I will try to find out how it works.
XZv2

kiwibum

Hi Guys
It was me that sent XZv2 info about the 80km/h warning light. When I pull the intruments off again I'll look into how it operates, at the time I just wanted to stop the dam light coming on at 80 so unpluged it. I'm going to put in an electronic circuit and reuse the light to indicate for over and under voltage of the charging system, need to find a circuit for this first, I figure if I have it solid red for under 12.5v and blinking for over 14.8v it should give me good indication of what is going on and if the stator fails.

Neither of my XZ400's have the adjustable damper shown on XZv2 review of the differences.  The NZ ones don't have the nice aluminum foot pegs either. I haven't seen any with factory fairings it appears only the 550 has them here, they seem to be the budget special!  Then saying that they have twin discs and air caps on the forks.

Steve

Riche

XZv2

Do you have a better/clearer image of the spec sheet than the one on your website? I can't get a good readable print out of the image on the website. If it is Japenese I may be able to get it translated.

kiwibum

I have better copies of them, PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

XZv2

Hello, Riche, I sent the best files that I have to your email address. They are better than the small file of the website. I hope it is of use to you, or the ones Kiwibum will send you. Please let me know if you can read the Japanese or other East Asia language used in this folder.
XZv2

Riche

Thanks XZv2 I'll check them this evening. If your files are not clear enough I'll PM kiwibum. I don't read Japenese myself but a friend, Hiroshi, does. It's his native language. Either he or one of his co workers should be willing to translate if indeed it is Japanese. It's good to catch this now before they head back to Japan.

Riche

XZ2v, didn't get any mail from you.

kiwibum, you have a pm
Thanks in advance

XZv2

Riche, I did send it to the address I found in your profile riche@hiredguns-hq.com. It did not come back. Perhaps the attachments (2,6 Mb in total) were too large??
I can send these in smaller parts if the address is correct.
XZv2

Riche

XZv2

Maybe they arrived after I was able to check my mail. The size would be no problem for that mail server. I did get some frokm kiwibum and printed them. Koichi is going to interpert for me. If he has time I'm going to ask him to tell me about what is on xz-style.com. We will have to look at it on his laptop because my computer here doens't have the proper files installed.

Thanks

kiwibum

I looked at xz-style using http://babelfish.altavista.com/ helps give an idea on what is there, mainly diary of the restore work done and rides.  Ryuji english is pretty good if you want to send him an email to say hi or ask about the site, we have exchanged a couple of messages, really nice guy, lots of time for him.

Steve