News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Running TOO Lean, NEED HELP, PLZ and THANKS!!!

Started by KoenigsTiger, May 20, 2007, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

Hello Everyone, ;D

Yesterday I pulled off mt Wolfy exhaust.  I noticed that the pipes off the front cylinder were black inside and a lot it (running rich). The inside of the pipes from the rear cylinder were very pale gray(too lean).  I haven't pulled the plugs yet to examine them(raining out side :'( )(its been a while since Ive replaced them). I guess I should sync the carbs. I dont have any tools kicking around to do it with(Some where Ive seen a home made type, just popped into my head... :o hmmm, i forget, whats a good liquid to use instead of mercury ? Anyway, if I do find my rear plug is pale gray.  And just turn the sync rod a little so the rear carb end has more thread on its side, that will richen its mixture right???  Iam  I on the right track guys??? ???

Thank you very much!!! ;D ;D ;D     
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Lucky

guessing at the synq will put you in a world of headache, & your problem could be caused by pilot misadjustment, the need to change jet sizes, dirt in the carbs, vacuume leaks, carbs out of synq, dirty air filter, poor cooling of the rear cyl, time for a valve adjustment, etc, etc, etc.

start by setting everything to specs: pilots & synq, a/f is clean, plugs are gapped, wires are checked for resistance & no shorts.  then run it & check your plugs.  if your still haveing a problem, then look further into it

home made manometers:
http://www.xz550.com/art_files/4dollarmano.jpeg
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Is_there_a_carb_sync_tool%3F

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

reckon

Quote from: KoenigsTiger on May 20, 2007, 11:09:33 PM
Hello Everyone, ;D

Yesterday I pulled off mt Wolfy exhaust.  I noticed that the pipes off the front cylinder were black inside and a lot it (running rich). The inside of the pipes from the rear cylinder were very pale gray(too lean). I haven't pulled the plugs yet to examine them(raining out side :'( )(its been a while since Ive replaced them). I guess I should sync the carbs. I dont have any tools kicking around to do it with(Some where Ive seen a home made type, just popped into my head... :o hmmm, i forget, whats a good liquid to use instead of mercury ? Anyway, if I do find my rear plug is pale gray.  And just turn the sync rod a little so the rear carb end has more thread on its side, that will richen its mixture right???  Iam  I on the right track guys??? ???

don't do tuning adjustments based on a guess, UNLESS you are VERY framliar with what you are making the guess at,....in other words, check the plugs, THEN make an adjustment based on the PLUGS, and not just the exhaust pipe color.

you're suspicions are probably valid, but I'd make sure, especially with these bikes, where one malady can seem like an entirely different issue.

just advice from a guy with 20 years motorcycle mechanical experience, and I learned the hard way (20 years ago, no internet)
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

KoenigsTiger

Yeah, I wont do any adjustments until Iam certain of the problem.  Clean air filter, check plugs.  The weather is great here is snowing!!! :o ,yeah I dont have a garage and I have to ride back to work today 300km, hehehe ;D (The snow is melts as soon as it hits the ground).   She should sound better I finally go that hole welded up... :-*

Thank you ver much guys!!! ;D ;D ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

reckon

don't forget, exhaust leaks SUCK IN AIR on the intake stroke, and if the leak is close enough to the cylinder (like the rear Y pipe) it will lean out that cylinder, considerably, and obviously lower the compression as well.

make sure all your connecting points are tight with good gaskets

(even a small exhaust leak on only one cylinder, will NOTICIBLY alter the way the motor runs)

KoenigsTiger

Its funny how you mentioned that. :D  The Y pipe was ticking me off when I was trying to put the exhaust back on.  I couldn't get the clamps to hold the y pipe in.  I tried a few things but nothing.  I will get new gaskets, and see if it will help, but my gaskets were fine.  No matter how much I tightened the clamps , the pipe would just fall out on its own. Right now Its just being supported in by the rest of the exhaust.  I think it was like that before too, but I never too it off, so I dint know.  Of course on deceleration there is back fires too.  Is there any tricks to get that things to seal??? :-\

'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

reckon

Quote from: KoenigsTiger on May 22, 2007, 08:44:34 AM
Its funny how you mentioned that. :D  The Y pipe was ticking me off when I was trying to put the exhaust back on.  I couldn't get the clamps to hold the y pipe in.  I tried a few things but nothing.  I will get new gaskets, and see if it will help, but my gaskets were fine.  No matter how much I tightened the clamps , the pipe would just fall out on its own. Right now Its just being supported in by the rest of the exhaust.  I think it was like that before too, but I never too it off, so I dint know.  Of course on deceleration there is back fires too.  Is there any tricks to get that things to seal??? :-\

EXACTLY what happened with me,...but keep trying the fit,..there is a sweet spot, and it will just pop WAY up into the clamps, and THEN when tightened, you CAN'T pull it out, no matter how hard you tug.

of course, when installing the exhaust system, first install the front two pipes, (all separately), then the Y pipe, then the rear muffler system,...I wouldn't mention this except my neighbor was trying to re-install his honda CB750-4 exhaust completely assembled, and trying to support it with jack stands while he tightened the bolts (he came over and asked me for a hand with it, and we got him pointed back in the right direction)

if your Y pipe is loose, the bike will run like crap,...definitely start there

KoenigsTiger

Yeah, I tried for it to go up higher.  Nothing seemed to work.  Does it have to be pushed up at the right angle or has to be forced in with a few taps by hand?   When I assembled my system, I didn't separate the whole system.  I had the Y pipe separate of course but could not pull the front part apart from the rear part.

I haven't noticed any difference in bike preference since the exhaust removal/installation.  So it must have been loose always.  When I tried to remove the exhaust I ended up removing the engine guard and the rear wheel.  Since I found out that the Y pipe can be pulled out of the side not the bottom down, I don't have to remove the rear wheel right?  The engine guard may have to come off. 

One more question: the "clamps" that hold the pipes to the front cylinder head are they supposed to be parallel to the head or they go off at different angles?  The clamps don't fit confortably. Is there any tricks how to properly secure the pipes.  I lost both of the allen bolts on one pipe.  I guess they were not tight enough, Haynes says 14.2 foot pounds for the bolts.

Thank you very much ;D ;D ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

reckon

Quote from: KoenigsTiger on May 24, 2007, 03:51:22 PM
Yeah, I tried for it to go up higher.  Nothing seemed to work.  Does it have to be pushed up at the right angle or has to be forced in with a few taps by hand?   When I assembled my system, I didn't separate the whole system.  I had the Y pipe separate of course but could not pull the front part apart from the rear part.

I haven't noticed any difference in bike preference since the exhaust removal/installation.  So it must have been loose always.  When I tried to remove the exhaust I ended up removing the engine guard and the rear wheel.  Since I found out that the Y pipe can be pulled out of the side not the bottom down, I don't have to remove the rear wheel right?  The engine guard may have to come off. 

One more question: the "clamps" that hold the pipes to the front cylinder head are they supposed to be parallel to the head or they go off at different angles?  The clamps don't fit confortably. Is there any tricks how to properly secure the pipes.  I lost both of the allen bolts on one pipe.  I guess they were not tight enough, Haynes says 14.2 foot pounds for the bolts.

Thank you very much ;D ;D ;D

no hammering required,...I discovered the "sweet spot" by accident, just make sure there is plenty of loose slack in the clamps before fiddling with the fit,...it's angle more then force (at least it was for me, if your exhaust has been loose and hanging, you may have to "convince" it to go with a soft/rubber mallet),...yes the Y pipe can go in from the side, thats how I did mine, and I also had my rear wheel on at the time.

the front ones were easy peezy, and my clamps are at sort of an angle in the back, but viewed from the side, the clamp is parallel to the edge of the boss that sticks out from the cylinder head, that the clamp bolts into,.....if you look at some pics in the gallery, you can see the front pipes do sort of "splay"out a bit.........just try and get the pipe as far up as it will go, and hold it while tightening, then tap it to make sure it's home, and complete the tightening.

14/15 ft/lbs is good,...remember lots of heat, lots of expansion and contraction, so you can't over tighten it, or the studs can break...new gaskets will help there,...red locktite keeps bolts from backing out,.......use a long allen/socket tip on the torque wrench,...also remember if you have a "beam style" torque wrench (not a clicker) when you pull you HAVE to keep the handle "on the pivot", if the handle contacts the wrench at any point other than the pivot, the readings will be inaccurate.

KoenigsTiger

Correction, :P

I was mistaken:

Exhaust pipe flange bolts: 7.2 Ft-lb
Muffler clamp bolts 14 Ft-lb

I don't have the allen key sockets for a torque wrench, 7.2 is pretty light, locktite will help. 
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450