News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

another 12"

Started by ps2/bikevision, February 13, 2007, 09:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

in the last 2 hours between the snow coming down and blowing there was 12" on my front porch. i went out to clear some off and when i opened my garage door the snow was past my knees. its drifting right up to my garage doors. i let my saint benard out and she was having a ball. she was able to burrow her self right into a drift in the back yard to where i couldnt even see her.

Mutt

Yeah, well I find 8 inches is enough......snow that is.  ;D

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Ha.  12 inches is nothing compared to the 12 FEET that they got in Upstate New York in less than a weeks time....and their expecting more!!  Their previous record was 10 feet in one week.  To them 12" is probably a "flurry".  But of course, 6" would shut down Knoxville. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

;D...Just finished 'blowing a good 12"s off of my driveway...love my 10 horse snow blower...5 forward and 2 reverse  :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D makes life a lot easier... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: DaveTN on February 14, 2007, 10:25:35 AM
Ha.  12 inches is nothing compared to the 12 FEET that they got in Upstate New York in less than a weeks time....and their expecting more!!  Their previous record was 10 feet in one week.  To them 12" is probably a "flurry".  But of course, 6" would shut down Knoxville. ;D

David

I drove up Rte 81 yesterday through that area... yeah, they have lots of snow, but I didn't see more than 4 or 5 feet from the highway...

that's not to say that some places didn't get many feets of snow.... lake effect snow is sneaky... once it hits the Tug Hill plateau... it takes a dump
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

NV -

You probably saw only 5 or 6 feet because the snow settles as it falls.  When they measure it, they go out about every 4 to 6 hours & measure in a good, flat spot.  They clear that away & wait for the next measuring time & repeat the process.  It is a more accurate way to measure actual snowfall.  Waiting until the snow is done falling, then measuring is how you get a figure for snowpack - the amount of snow on the ground, not the amount that actually fell.  Snowpack measurements are more important because they get the water content from those readings.

Before we had a few warm days & our snow began to melt, we had about 2 feet on the ground.  However, we received over 5 feet of snowfall before it began to warm up.

Well, we're now at 8 consecutive weeks with measurable snow each week.  I just got rid of an inch on my driveway.  Not much, I know, but it's been a looooong winter compared to what we normally get around here.  We're supposed to get another inch or two tonight.  We've already received more snow than we normally get in an entire winter & March is typically the snowiest month.  I am not complaining - we really need the water!

We had several days in the upper 40s & low 50s last week & over the weekend.  Melted quite a bit of snow.  But, over the last 6 or 7 years, I've been able to play golf every month of the year.  This year, the courses closed in mid December & still have at least a foot of snow on them.  Last time the courses were closed for more than a couple weeks was 1993 - 1994.

Glad I've got a snowblower, too - even though it's only 5.5 HP 3 forward & 1 reverse & only clears 21" width per pass.  Still, it sure beats shovelling!  It is only a couple years newer than my V.  I had to do some much needed maintenance on it this year.  Rebuilt carb, new auger bolts, new carb heater box, new height adjustment pads & new auger & drive belts.  Throws snow 30 feet again!  Wish I'd done it before the pre-Christmas blizzard.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

haunter

Quote from: DaveTN on February 14, 2007, 10:25:35 AM

David

don't kid yourself, 2 inches would probably shutdown knoxville!

we got a foot plus some here, and I made it to work both days!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.