News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

calling all computer gurus

Started by ps2/bikevision, February 23, 2007, 04:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

here is what i got. i got a 2wire wireless modem that came with sbc phone service. i now have verizon phone service. i hooked up my wireless modem so that i could have the web in my room. i installed the modem in the living room and my wireless router to my computer in my room. i got it all to work but one little hitch. ever couple hours i got to the modem monitor and refresh the broadband link. once i do this all works fine.

i have called verizon and they wont help cause i didnt buy the modem from them. any one know how to fix this or am i just going to have to live with it.

Walt_M.

Does this happen while you are on line or after a period of inactivity? Even a DSL will occasionlly time out and wireless connection to a DSL will probably do the same. Don't know about cable. I am still learning here but the DSL that I've used have a Cat5 cable with 6 wires.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

Do you have alink to the site that makes the modem?  Brand? MOdel?  Is your internet service broadband (High Speed), Cable? DSL?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

PS2- I'm assuming you mean two wire as in conductors coming from your wall jack to the modem. You have Verizon DSL?

How far apart is your modem from your wireless router? As far as distance, if you have a longer cable to run between your jack and the modem, place the modem closer to your router and see if it disconnects after a while. Also make sure the modem is compatable with your wireless router. The modem or the router's website may list compatability.

If push comes to shove (southern term) you could move your router in by your modem and buy a USB port Wireless Network Interface. If you don't have a USB available, install a wireless NIC. If you use a regular wireless NIC, be sure and leave a space between any video card or MODEM card. In fact just remove the modem card because you obviously don't need it.
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

ps2/bikevision

ill try to clear things up. i have verizon DSL, the brand of modem is 2wire it is a home portal 1000hg. i got the modem from sbc phone company when i had DSL with them. when i had sbc dsl the setup was simple. phone line into 2wire modem, then either ethernet or usb to the computer. i connect to the modem with a netgear wireless usb adapter. i have used this setup in my old apt for my laptop. i had my desktop hooked direct to the 2wire modem and uses the wireless adapter to connect the laptop. all work well

the only thing i can think of is with moving from michigan to indiana and changing dsl compays there is something that needs to be reset to keep a good connection. i have good signal to the wirless adapter and it always says its connected but sometimes ill click on a page and it will pop up a message saying page cannot be displayed.

Brian Moffet

I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch home I use at my house.  I had it plugged directly into a computer which acted as my firewall and router.  When I decided to move all of my web stuff to an ISP, I changed out the firewall with a small D-link router.  My DSL has not changed when I did this.

That's the background.  When I did that, I noticed my modem would go offline and need to be reset occasionally.  It was really annoying.  Just on a whim, I decided to put a 10 Mbit hub I had in between the router and the modem (nothing else is attached to it).  Turns out that putting that hub in provided enough of a buffer to eliminate the problem.  When the problem does show up, it's temporary (and it looks like a packet collision on the hub).

You might try putting a small hub between your modem and the next device in line.

Brian

kiawrench

i just bang two rocks together real fast and hope i get an open line to the internet 

i have a major issue to get fixed too, but need to talk to dave tn one on one to figure it out , i think, when i get time will beg for help, right now ,more worried about other things .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

hfarley

Just two other suggestions. You might need to update the firmware for te router and does your laptop go to a screen saver when this happens? If so turning off the screen saver might do the trick. Just a couple of suggestions fr you.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

kwells

maybe ur neighbors are stealing ur internet and bogging out your wireless modem...did u put a wireless modem password ?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ps2/bikevision

im using wep but that doesent meen much any more. I tried to figure out how to delete unused computers on my network but it wont let me. My computer shows up on there 3 times and other computer i had hooked up in my old apt are still on ther and they havent been hooked up in a year.

YellowJacket!

Most modems have a way of doing a hard reset.  Usually by either holding in the reset button for several seconds or powering down then holding in the reset button while powering back up.  Or, if you can log onto the modem through a browser... usually something like 192.168.1.1 there may be a setting to "restore factory defaults".
WEP is problematic and you are probably better off not using it.  If yo can use WPA, I highly recomend it.
Also, if you can log onto it, check the lease and  renew settings.  That indicates how frequently the modem flushes and renews the DNS and IP address.
Also, on your wireless PC, check if there is an update for your wireless card.  My sons pc was disconnecting very frequently and I updated the driver and all is well now.
One last thought.  If there are a lot of people where you live and in close range, duplicate channels can be a  problem.  Try changing the chanel that your modem is broadcasting on.
Here is a neat utility that tells who is on what channel.  You can download it from: http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm

Heres a quote from the site above about overlapping channels and which are the best to pick:

There are a total of 14 available channel to 802.11 networks, some of which may restricted depending on the regulatory body for each country. The channels are on the 2.4 GHz band, starting with channel 1 at 2.412 GHz and finishing with channel 14 at 2.484 GHz. Due to the nature of wireless signals this leads to some overlap between each channel but there are 3 "non overlapping" channels, 1, 6 and 11. While this doesn't mean there is zero interference between these two channels it does make them the best choices and this is the reason most wireless access points will default to one of these channels.

end quote

Take Care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ps2/bikevision

well thanks for the help but now it seems that the computer in the living room wont connect at all. i can still connect to the wireless. the other computer is hooked up by usb and it wont connect so i guess im gonna have to figure something else out. i may have to hook the origanal modem back up and try just pluging the wireless modem into another phone cord and see if that works.