Main Menu

Need a LOUD horn?

Started by h2olawyer, March 16, 2007, 11:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

The GTS listserv has had a recent discussion of the Stebel Nautilus Horn.  Claimed 139dB!  Should make even cell phone using Escalade / Navigator drivers take notice.   ;D  Not good for a quick "beep" type hello, though.

Check out the link:  www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137

Kind of glad I haven't ordered the 130dB Fiamms yet.  Should fit up inside the fairing someplace.  Not very big - especially for an air horn.  The compressor is attached to the horn itself.  Dimensions are  5.9" (150mm) x 4.4" (112mm) x 3.7" (95 mm).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

I've got horns under my fairing fom a Ford Taurus, but you can use horns from any large car (Caddys or Lincolns are good choices)

You must add a relay though becuse the stock horns are switched on the ground side & if you try to use them straight off the horn button, you'll melt the spring behind the button (don't ask how i know this)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Take a look on eee-bay, under air horn's... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

67GTO

Kwells:That would scare the fecal matter out of anyone! ;D

(should carry a defibrillator with you if you have one of those) :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

YellowJacket!

Cool.  A pneumatic jackhammer is 130dB.  a 10pt increase in dB represents almost a doubling in total sound so the horns are pretty darn loud.

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

louthepou

Quote from: kwells on March 17, 2007, 01:57:20 AM
that is awesome
this one is for your car!

http://www.siegeengine.com/auctions/horn/horn.mpg

I especially like the fact that you can see the effect of the soundwaves as they hit the camera. That, my friend, is a cool wave physics lab!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Mutt

Holy Crap!!!  If I accidently hit that it would probably knock me off the bike! A horn like that could get you shot in some places!

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

Heard it can kill a squerril at 30 yds.  ;D

Just kidding

Mutt

Quote from: DaveTN on March 17, 2007, 10:46:13 PM

Just kidding

Probably will kill a squirel! I'll bet it will make a gald bladder go bad too!

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Mutt on March 17, 2007, 11:02:19 PM
Quote from: DaveTN on March 17, 2007, 10:46:13 PM

Just kidding

Kinda like how they shatter kidney stones with sound waves.  You may be onto something mutt. ;D

David

Probably will kill a squirel! I'll bet it will make a gald bladder go bad too!

Mutt  :)

inanecathode

Anyone know if thats legal or not? Thinking i might get one for my teeny tiny xt250 dualsport :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Quote from: DaveTN on March 17, 2007, 12:12:50 PM
Cool.  A pneumatic jackhammer is 130dB.  a 10pt increase in dB represents almost a doubling in total sound so the horns are pretty darn loud.

;D

David

Dave - I am a radio guy in the Air Force and what we were taught in our school is that every 3db increase the total output power doubles.

H2O - That is just insane.  139 decibles could cause some serious hearing damage.  Is that thing even legal??
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: dj on March 22, 2007, 11:21:16 AM
Dave - I am a radio guy in the Air Force and what we were taught in our school is that every 3db increase the total output power doubles.

H2O - That is just insane.  139 decibles could cause some serious hearing damage.  Is that thing even legal??

3db is correct for a doubling in power.  It's a logarithmic scale.

Brian

dj

130-135 dB is the approximate dB level of our tanker's engines as they are taking off from the runway.  :o The recommended exposure time for anything that loud is like 10-15 seconds!  So anybody that has a horn like this make sure you don't have it on for too long, and don't sound it off in your garage!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: dj on March 22, 2007, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: DaveTN on March 17, 2007, 12:12:50 PM

;D

David

I stand corrected. ;D ;d

I was digging back to my early car stereo days in the 80's and early 90's and all the "SPL" contests I entered.  Musthave squished a few memory cells in the old noodle. ;D

David

dj

Not sure if I am doing this right, I am medicated (bronchitis) so I am a little bit foggy headed but here goes.

0dB is equal to 1mW (.001 Watts) of power, and at 138dB the equivalent power level is 70,368,744,177.664 Watts.  That is quite a jump in power level.   :o

PS - if there is anyone who knows if I am doing this wrong please feel free to correct me.  ;)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

79,432,823,472,428.2 watts for 139

ahh physics
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

The horn has dropped down the list of purchases for now, but I will likely get one sometime this summer.  Don't care about the legality, I just want the idiots in their air conditioned cages with the cell phone glued to their ear to know they did something stupid.  I don't use the horn very often, but when I do, I want to be heard.  This horn takes up less room than a pair of FIAMM Freeway blasters & is 9dB louder.  What the heck, I normally ride with earplugs anyway.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

don't point it at the ground, you might lift off.