News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Need a LOUD horn?

Started by h2olawyer, March 16, 2007, 11:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Quote from: Vision Rising on March 22, 2007, 06:54:19 PM
don't point it at the ground, you might lift off.

Yeah - after I lose about 30 pounds.   ::)   ;D

How about pointing it toward the rear for jet propulsion?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Protonus

h2olawyer, did you end up getting the Stebel?  Or something else like the Fiamms? Care to share some feedback?  I'm horn shopping.

Also, for those that have done the relay mod.. Are you using the stock power lead and fuse off the fuseblock for power direct to the horn, and then putting the ground, on the relay to the frame?  So the ground is still what's switched/relayed/upgraded?  Or are you also upgrading the power wire and fuse? 

1982 with full '83 fairings

The Prophet of Doom

There are two versions of this - One is labelled "motorcycle" and has better sealing.
Here it is mounted by drilling a single hole in the headlight bracket and the fairing just slips on with about 5mm clearance.
You need to wire a relay, or say goodbye to your horn switch in about 5 seconds.

It's a seriously good horn.  It doesn't stop people pulling front of you, but is great for telling them off.  They literally shit their pants, especially because my white bike/helmet looks kind of like a police bike.

Protonus

Quote from: roro on May 01, 2012, 03:42:10 PM
There are two versions of this - One is labelled "motorcycle" and has better sealing.
Here it is mounted by drilling a single hole in the headlight bracket and the fairing just slips on with about 5mm clearance.
You need to wire a relay, or say goodbye to your horn switch in about 5 seconds.

It's a seriously good horn.  It doesn't stop people pulling front of you, but is great for telling them off.  They literally shit their pants, especially because my white bike/helmet looks kind of like a police bike.

Awesome thanks roro. I'm assuming you used a relay with it right?  Can I ask how you wired it?  Since the switch switches the ground stock, I'm assuming you used the switched side to switch the relay right and used the stock switch?  And then the relay is cutting "ground" to the horn?  Did you run a new ground then?  Did you use the stock power wire and fuse then?  That's the relay you used above the horn right?    Thanks!

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rick G

I made comments , long ago about the futility of honking a bike horn. Other visionaries pointed out several options . A couple of years ago Harbor freight began selling a neat pair of horns , listed at 110 db. (the stock horn on a VX are listed as 105 db) These are easily twice as loud as the stockers. I bought a set for the Vision too ! $9.95 each set. They come with the relay and some wire.
I was proceeding up Andy Devine / route 66 in Kingman, shortly after installing them , when a woman in a caddy , on a cell phone , with her head completely where the sun don't shine, proceeded to change lanes and try to run me over!  I sounded  my new horns , which are mounted on either side of the head light, causing her to veer to the right and  bounce off the curb!!  What a wonderful experience for me!!. I've been run off the road for 50 years by idiots in cages, so I felt elated.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Protonus on May 01, 2012, 06:52:38 PM
Quote from: roro on May 01, 2012, 03:42:10 PM

Awesome thanks roro. I'm assuming you used a relay with it right?  Can I ask how you wired it?  Since the switch switches the ground stock, I'm assuming you used the switched side to switch the relay right and used the stock switch?  And then the relay is cutting "ground" to the horn?  Did you run a new ground then?  Did you use the stock power wire and fuse then?  That's the relay you used above the horn right?    Thanks!
Yes, you can see the relay in the picture with the neon green wired going into it.  It's the relay that comes with the horn.  Basically plug the horn wires into the relay which gives it a trigger voltage, then an independent Live back to the battery via a new fuse (there was a spare slot in my fusebox), and earth to frame.  Fairly straight forward, and there is a circuit sheet with the horn as well.  All you will need some 2.5mm cable a crimper and some ends, and a fuse.  Mine are all soldered as well, as is every connector on the bike.  The relay is attached with the dashboard bolt.  the hor bolt comes with it, and just needs a neat hole drilled in the dead centre of the headlight bracket.  I test fitted it using gaffer tape first to be sure there was enough clearance once the fairing went back on. 

AdvRich

Quote from: Rick G on May 01, 2012, 07:56:07 PM
I was proceeding up Andy Devine / route 66 in Kingman, shortly after installing them , when a woman in a caddy , on a cell phone , with her head completely where the sun don't shine, proceeded to change lanes and try to run me over!  I sounded  my new horns , which are mounted on either side of the head light, causing her to veer to the right and  bounce off the curb!!  What a wondeful experience for me!!. I've been run off the road for 50 years by idiots in cages, so I felt elated.

:laugh:  :laugh:  I love it and can totally relate.

Lucky

I have a pair of horns from an older Ford Taurus under my fairing.  low & loud! :>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black