Front end wobble

Started by GA_Wolf, May 21, 2004, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Just noticed my V is starting to have some head wobble too. If i'm going faster than 50 and i suddenly let off the throttle the head shakes a bit then steadies out.
Tapered bearings, where do i get these again?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

H20 has some barely used ball bearings you could maybe acquire.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

They're kind of mixed in with the old flattened ones from my bike, now.  Could be a prize grab bag.  Count the correct number out & hope they're all round.   ;D  In a couple weeks, I should have another set as well!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Hey h2o, do you want to help me do my fork seals?

h2olawyer

Next week sometime.  Going rafting this weekend!  ;D

Wanna do it at my house?  I've got the air tools that make it soooooo much easier.

Fork seals are EZ!  Shouldn't take too long.  Then maybe an Estes Park ride for an afternoon snack?

Let's see what the thunderstorm forecast is for next week.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

sounds like a plan man, i should know next weeks schedule work wise on saturday

don_vanecek

Oh by the way, I'm very happy to report that other then feeling the start of something leaned over in a tight turn on one of the switch backs with ripples in the asphat, I seem to have cured my previous front end wobble. New bearings of course and two or three times to re-tighten. Drove many miles at 75+ and hit 80-85 several times with no problems (other then Rex who was still a bike length ahead of me-but he twisted his throttle first-so the advantage was his-we never did hear the words H2O was saying to us as he suddenly came up on two Visions going a lot slower then he expected-just before we cracked em open for the race-I gave up after I pegged the speedometer).

Aelwulf

I'm waiting to do mine.  The new bearings are sitting in my room here, don't think I really have everything at the moment to take the whole front end off to do 'em before I'm moved. :(

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Aelwulf

Quote from: Tiger on June 28, 2007, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: Aelwulf on June 28, 2007, 12:30:35 PM
  I still plan to order the bearings this weekend though if I can figure the right ones since I'd guarantee they need to be replaced anyhoo.

:) Here is the link to a company that I have got 2 x set's from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XZ550-XZ-550-82-83-Steering-Stem-Bearings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35591QQihZ001QQitemZ110133815726QQrdZ1

Those are the ones I ordered, another link on page 2 here has 'em direct from Pyramid for $30 so a l'il cheaper.  Two options.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tanno

I replaced my head bearings w/ the tapered ones and had it a little too tight at first. I thought it was okay until a test ride at 35 revieled that it felt as though it was riding on a see-saw. I loosened the head just a smidge and now it's okay. No shake like tiger described anymore. Woo Hoo! ;D
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown