News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New To The Vision (Not really anymore, but working it out)

Started by inanecathode, March 18, 2007, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I probably will just clean/dip the carbs. They probably need to be all cleaned out anyway.
What after all that snow and all...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

With any luck, the snow packed so tightly in the carbs they were force cleaned.   ;D  Maybe you can have them stuffed, too!

Dipping the carbs is a good idea.  I'll be doing mine in the next couple days.  Runs pretty good, but could definitely be better.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

This weird realm of "Runs good, but could be better" is totally new to me lol. Im used to small/old bikes that IF they run, it runs good. If it doesnt run good, it doesnt run period.

Im missing the petcock tubes and screens it looks like, when i pulled it out there was nothing on the other side, just two holes.

inanecathode

6 inches snow on the ground right now... And it's supposed to get nice on monday, but i WORK on monday!

GAH!

inanecathode

Oh ffs, snow storm in this week.
I swear i HAVE to make this year's ROV meet, it's practically in my backyard!

h2olawyer

I'll have a spare Vision along - just in case.   ;D

When the weather starts improving, I'll swing down your way with tools & parts to see if we can git 'er done.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Wow hey that'd be fun :D
I'll bring the carb cleaner!

inanecathode

I know it should be in my haynes manual, but for the life of me i can't find where the stator plug is. It has a picture, but it doesnt actually say where the thing is located.

Night Vision

the three prong stator plug goes to the regulator/rectifier that is mounted on the backside of the battery box (stock position)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

2 importaint things:
1) The sator plug will fit in the TCI. if you accidentally do this you will fry a $400 (from the stealer) part!
2) look for electrical tape & solder, someone may have already hardwired the stator (reccomended)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

All riiiiiiight  :o :o ;D ;D got the carbs off today:

1) I am dumb. Didnt plug the intake boots, got a bunch of gas in there (it'll evaporate out, right?)
2) Haynes says "work the carbs out the frame to the left" lol, easier said than done, that's a tight fit. Square peg needle eye o_O
3) Got the carbs seperated from eachother and the fuel pump. The rear carb from the accelerator pump down is leaky yellow (you know the leaking fuel color) front carb is golden.
4) Despite the gas in the tank at the owners place before i bought the v smelling dandy, what came out of those carbs IS NOT gas anymore. Dude, i know the smell of varnish a mile away. One smell you wont forget.
5) Leaving the carbs for dissasembly tomorrow

The intake boots, at least the rear look GNARLY, like split pretty bad at the very top clamping end, i suspect this isnt critical as its just part of the mating surface, but still. Damn. I dispise that overwhelmed feeling you get right as you start unscrewing screws and pulling lines off, im assuming the V carbs only go together one way, and if you dont have any pieces left over you probably did it right (i hope :o)

Anyway, in a somewhat unrelated note, dude i need front brake pads. They're worn down, well, lets say pretty damn far (about 2 miles out of cutting the rotor with the backing plates [thats something i need alright, a wiped rotor :o])

So, mister h20, you're welcome to come up and clean my carbs whilst i enjoy the cool mountain breeze and a tall glass of sweet tea :D

h2olawyer

I'll be happy to come up and supervise you cleaning your own carbs.  Don't think you can afford my rates for that type of work.  And you thought attorney fees were steep! ;)

H2O

kwells

yah...I could ride out just to double the rate!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

yah...I could ride out just to double the rate...

:o...and add to that Tiger's air fare, board and lodging's, a couple of bottle's of single malt scotch and my hourly rate...Your "V" will be guaranteed to run sweet with all the experience you will have hired, eh boy's ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

supervision

Watch out if H2 helps you, you might have to do thirty days in the hole!
" border="0

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on April 19, 2007, 10:47:16 PM
I'll be happy to come up and supervise you cleaning your own carbs.  Don't think you can afford my rates for that type of work.  And you thought attorney fees were steep! ;)

H2O

Rofl
Too late though, already have the front carb dissasembled and VERY clean. Waiting on the sun to dry out the carb halves, and my hands to warm up from the carb cleaner (crc freeze! aaaah!)

The haynes helps alot with this, and keeping a clean and orderly work area helps immensely, almost makes me want to do the carb on my lt2-100.... Naaaah

inanecathode

Okey dokey, front carb is back together, no left over parts or stuck pieces. Onto the rear carb!
I'm pretty sure the accel pump diaphragm is leaking, where do i get a rebuild kit for it? I'm conflicted on wether to take the fuel pump apart or not... If i do, do i have to replace all the gaskets and pieces?

Brian Moffet

When I did my fuel pump, the rubber diaphragms looked pretty bad, and the gaskets.  However, the thin film plastic valves looked good.  I did replace them, but thinking back on it now I probably wouldn't if I had a chance to do it again.  Keyster offers rebuild kits for the fuel pump, as well as the accel pump.  If you do the accel pump, make sure you keeep track of what goes where, it's fairly complex for how small it is.

Lucky has warned people to get in touch with him before rebuilding.

Brian

inanecathode

I'll go ahead and contact keyster about the fuel pump/accel pump rebuild kits. I'll put em in when i get em, but i'll assemble the whole thing temporarily.
As far as the accel pump goes, doesnt look to complicated. Diaphragm, intake check valve, weights and check balls. None of the nozzles seem clogged, clear crc came out instead of the nasty orange stuff i've been seeing all day :o
The accel pump diaphragm, at least the lower flap is pretty crispy, cracked and such, not really flexible. The top flap is worn, but not as bad as the lower.

I'll just put it back together as is and put the new parts in when i get em.

kwells

so that means you'll be riding this weekend...how are your tires?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com