New To The Vision (Not really anymore, but working it out)

Started by inanecathode, March 18, 2007, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on May 10, 2007, 07:56:09 PM
I managed to strip one of the screws holding the master cylinder cover on, so that'll get done when i can find a screw to replace it.

:) p.m. me your name/address and I'll send you two new one's... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Edit!
Alright well, found out what was wrong with the front brake. It was both super low on fluid, packed with air, and the brake fluid in there resembled milk.

good thing you caught it now.... after awhile, brake milk turns to cheese! pm me if you need a pic of a master packed with cheese  :(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on May 10, 2007, 09:25:54 PM

Edit!
Alright well, found out what was wrong with the front brake. It was both super low on fluid, packed with air, and the brake fluid in there resembled milk.

good thing you caught it now.... after awhile, brake milk turns to cheese! pm me if you need a pic of a master packed with cheese  :(

Lol i think i do need that pic now!

Thanks for the offer tiger, but i'm gonna simply run down to McGukins and get a couple socket heads that fit where these go, probably replace the damn set screw for the choke cable housing down by the carbs, this thing is stuck super hard!
Plan of attack!
-Find brake drum cam-splined-thingy to replace the bad one Obtained!
-Find brake drum splined lever thingy to replace the bad one Obtained!
-Socket head screws to replace master cylinder cover screws
-Pet cock rebuild kit (damn thing leaks in the on position Ordered!
-Oil the air filter Got the oil!
-Replace rear mixture screw
While i wait on the parts i need to get my vision safe on the road, i'll be (attempting) to paint the plastics and fairing using the roll on rustoleum technique.

Hard left!

Sanded my right cover down with 400 grit paper (probably should have  used a higher grit) and put on my first coat of Hunter Green rustoleum paint. Observations:
I think i missed a few spots while sanding, the paint pulls away from these spots.
I can see why this would turn out really nice, just by self leveling its very smooth and very glossy
I mixed my first coat too thick, more like runny yogurt than milk (needs a milk consistancy)
Its hard to sand black paint off of a black part, dont know when you've gone far enough

I'll fill in the parts that i missed and see if the paint will stick (relax relax, just a practice run anyway :)) then go ahead and wet sand with 400 grit again, one more coat, then 800, one more coat, then 1500, then polish :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Great ride to visit inanecathode & grab some lunch in Blackhawk.  Gotta love Buffalo Burgers!

After a few glitches, fits & starts, his V is beginning to run pretty good.  May need another carb cleaning and definitely needs a new mixture screw for the rear carb.  Should be running great with a little more time & effort.  I suggested running some carb cleaner through it (the gas additive type).  Like most bikes, it needs to be run a bit before the full benefits of cleaning are fully realized.  This will be a very fine addition to the running ROV Visions when he gets the brakes sorted & the carbs entirely done.  Carbs are very close.  We got them even closer today.

As a quick note - my silver V ran fantastic on the ride.  Did 200 miles round trip today & it never missed a beat.  Temp is running lower with this stator & it charges @ 14.7 volts, steady as a rock.  Drops a bit at idle (couple tenths).  Also, runs a little over 14 volts with the aux lights on.  This OEM stator seems to be a good one - THANKS, PROFESSOR REX!!!  The 35 miles of straight, 65 MPH running is a little boring, but the temp stayed just left of center.  Ambient temp was 80 (F).  This stator not only charges stronger, it seems to be running cooler as well.  Even in the 35 - 45 MPH sections the bike stayed cooler.  I used to need to run my cooliing fan when going less than around 40 MPH to keep the temp near the center.  Not the case now.   ;D

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ProfessorRex

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 10, 2007, 11:04:58 PM
This OEM stator seems to be a good one - THANKS, PROFESSOR REX!!!  The 35 miles of straight, 65 MPH running is a little boring, but the temp stayed just left of center.  Ambient temp was 80 (F).  This stator not only charges stronger, it seems to be running cooler as well.  Even in the 35 - 45 MPH sections the bike stayed cooler.  I used to need to run my cooliing fan when going less than around 40 MPH to keep the temp near the center.  Not the case now.   ;D

I told you Rob, Those parts are BLESSED WITH ELFEN MAGIC!!!  Seriously though, I paid $15 for that stator on ebay, I can't believe it's good!  I bought it with the intention of re-winding it! HA!

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

inanecathode

Sorry about the slow update, if anyones been following my other thread (shakes head), my stupidity caused the shearing of my rear brake tensioner bar bolt, and the subsequent destruction of my axel nut, actuating rod, brake cam and brake cam arm. I just returned from h2o's house with the needed parts, and a trip to ace hardware for the BTB. All the parts are on, most importantly they're ALL TORQUED DOWN!

Just waiting on a few things:
Master cylinder rebuild kit
Master cylinder cap screws
Good weather for:
-Resyncing
-Remixing
-More painting

Good to have the V back to where it was before my stupid brain affected it.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: inanecathode on May 14, 2007, 07:59:40 PM
Master cylinder cap screws

I bought mine at a local hardware store, I believe they are 4 mm x 8 mm long.  I grabbed a couple of stainless steel flush hex driver type and they work great.  Spent about 50 cents on them.

FYI
Brian

inanecathode

Aelwulf

Hi all. :) Just joined, tried hitting the forums from the site a couple times and some reason didn't work.  That, or I was just hitting the wrong button (always possible).

I have an '82 Maroon Vision I bought for $100 about two years ago.  Guy had it sitting for around five years to restore it.  It's rather beat-up but I figured it'd be a good first bike being under 600CCs and a top speed around 60 MPH (according to the speedo anyway).  I got to replacing most of the things the guy said it needed and getting a couple of parts off eBay since I didn't like the looks of the original (such as the radiator nozzle).  Then my crew rotation got in the way and it sat for almost two years for me.  I now have a guy doing the 'heavy' work on it to get it up and goin'.  By now it pretty much just needs fork seals, a stator and a gas tank (frakkin' rust spots, and a bad attempt at sealing it by someone).  The first two I've ordered off eBay and will be bringing to him shortly.  The gas tank is proving problematic though.  Anyone know a good site to get reliable new or rebuilt ones?  One of the dealerships in town is claiming to be able to get a new silver tank, but it's an arm & a leg (if they actually can).  Everywhere else I've found that has tanks they're not serviceable.  Thanks for the help, and I look forward to lurking around. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

The supply of useable tanks is dwindling.  They all tend to rust out at the lower corners.  If the rust isn't too bad, you can fix the holes and linr the tank using either POR-15 or Caswell products.  They do come up on occasion on eBay.  However, those are tough to decide whether they're useable or not.

If all else fails, the dealer can actually get one & you can afford it, the new one would be your safest bet.  You should still line it before using it, though.  It would prevent the tank from ever rusting out again - at least for many, many years.

There has been talk of molding some plastic tanks in the same style, but I don't know where that project is at this point.

Welcome to the forum & good luck getting your V into good, safe riding condition!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Thanks.  If it's a matter of repairing one there's a radiator shop in town that does bike tanks so I'll see if they can do it.

I've heard of POR-15 and been to their site once, I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the input. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

I used an epoxy like "fuel tank sealer" plus Lucky, um I mean, "Lester the good Vision Gremlin" took my tank to have some of the bigger holes welded.  Afterwards, I sprayed the under side of the tank with spray on truck bed liner to add an extra layer of protection.  Its sealed up pretty darn good now without a hint of a leak or smell of gas.  oh boy did I just majorly jinx myself......

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Man, stripping these fairing pieces by hand is total BS, theres like 4 layers of paint plus 2 primers, it's hard as a rock, and smells HORRIBLE when it gets in the air. I got a quote from a local metal finishing place that has a plastic bead machine, 50-100 bucks to strip the whole fairing.

h2olawyer

Why strip the whole fairing?  If the paint on it is securely adhered, I'd just sand it to give it teeth, then prime and paint it.  That's what I did with my fairing.  Even used the crummy Dupli-Color rattlecan primer & paint.  Didn't come out as glossy as I'd have liked, but otherwise, I'm very satisfied.  The paint is sticking great.  However, I will be getting it professionally repainted next winter.

H2O

inanecathode

The fairing apparently used to be silver, that paint is (was) sticking fine, but the subsequent layers of crappy rattlecan (i mean, real crappy) and latex house paint leads me to stripping it all the way to the gelcoat. The residue from sanding this thing smells HORRIBLE, this sickening sweet smell that gives me a wicked headache.
Eeeeeew:

inanecathode

And now for something more pleasant. Keep in mind this isnt shined at all, its just how the paint dried after BRUSHING it on.

Night Vision

eco-vision eh? I think Brewski's is green also .

kudos to you for breaking new ground here and trying the paint. I take it you aren't using the foam roller like the Charger guy did?

I'm tossing the idea around of Por-15'ing my frame I'm stripping down... I wire brush it to bare metal and it starts to rust... y-not?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on May 15, 2007, 09:06:36 PM
eco-vision eh? I think Brewski's is green also .

kudos to you for breaking new ground here and trying the paint. I take it you aren't using the foam roller like the Charger guy did?

I'm tossing the idea around of Por-15'ing my frame I'm stripping down... I wire brush it to bare metal and it starts to rust... y-not?

Naw im just using a foam brush. I thought green would be fairly unique, and a departure from black and red.

h2olawyer

Looking pretty shiny already - at least the Pennzoil bottle reflects nicely.

H2O