New To The Vision (Not really anymore, but working it out)

Started by inanecathode, March 18, 2007, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Ah ok, just browsed the haynes manual about the fork seals. Doesnt look too scary, although the 'dampner rod holding tool' might be hard to manufacture :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

I put together mine from the hardware store, long bolt and 2 nuts.

Night Vision

or a short bolt, two nuts, couple of 3/8" ratchet extensions and wrap the joints with duct tape so it don't come apart

piece of pie and punch  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Alright well, thrashed on the bike a bit today. Seems to run perfectly fine when it's cold/warming up but once it's totally warmed up it runs really weird, seeking, randomly racing, stalling out. I think i found a leak in the aft intake boot up where it connects to the carb, im not sure liquid electrical tape will fix that, it looks pretty trashed. I'm thinking about getting ahold of a pair of good intake boots and dipping the carbs. Anyone have any good intake boots (no cracks or damage around the head end or the carb end)?

IF it's a vacuum leak, the only things that could leak are the intake boots, vacuum caps, and lines. I'll replace the bad ones and see where i go from there...

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on May 24, 2007, 07:40:52 PM
Anyone have any good intake boots (no cracks or damage around the head end or the carb end)?

::) I have more chance of becoming the POPE...and I'm a W.A.S.P... ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;) However, here is a quick fix...Get a bicycle inner tube, cut to the length required and stretch over the boot...Bobs yer uncle, fixed ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Eh i dont think that will work actually, its hard to describe how it's damaged, but the mounting ring that goes around the carb is totally split open, good half inch down the throat.

inanecathode

GAH! 50 bucks a piece for new ones. FFS It's always stupid problems like this that keep me off the road.
Furthermore
I really dont want to dip the carbs, i'm very worried i'll end up nuking an o-ring i can't even see...

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on May 24, 2007, 07:49:22 PM
...... here is a quick fix...Get a bicycle inner tube, cut to the length required and stretch over the boot...Bobs yer uncle, fixed ;)

that was the preferred fix before the liquid tape.......

Quote from: inanecathode on May 24, 2007, 08:02:21 PM
GAH! 50 bucks a piece for new ones......

your choice.... one large or what? $5 for an inner tube?

Furthermore.....I really dont want to dip the carbs, i'm very worried i'll end up nuking an o-ring i can't even see...

suit yourself......
;D

dj

I really dont want to dip the carbs, i'm very worried i'll end up nuking an o-ring i can't even see...

If you are really worried about that then check with Lucky and see if he is still doing the rebuilds.  Not sure what he usually charges though.  Just PM him and ask.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Feeling a bit better about dipping the carbs now. I successfully dipped the #1 carb on the (shhh, V might hear this) cb750k as an experiment i put an old o-ring from a trash carb in the basket with the parts, and it came out intact and still springy. This means even if i do miss an o-ring (believe me, i wont leave any in if i can handle it) it should still be fine.
I repeal my anti-dipping standing, in favor of dipping. (Im not sure how strong the stuff i got is, blue and yellow can i got from napa, pretty generic looking. Seeeeems to do alright on the softer deposits, but doesnt seem to touch oxidation, that and the oring i put in there isnt melted after 30 minutes)

Now, onto the boots:
The consensus is i should use a ring of innertube around the inside diameter of the intake boot to seal the split? I see how this will work, but on the other hand is there any reason LET won't hold up instead?

Sorry if i came off defensive before, having a pretty shitty day so far. Started off with 2 inches of snow lol

Night Vision

The consensus is get new or better boots, but in lieu of that, you could try liquid tape or the inner tube fix. I think the tube is intended to go on the outside of the boot.
;D

QBS

RE: the inner tube fix...cut a length of tube same length as the height of the intake manifold (aka:rubber boot).  Cut round holes in the cut inner tube section that match the vacuum fittings projecting out of the manifold.  Coat the outside of the manifold with silicone seal.  While the silicone seal is still unset, slide the cut inner tube piece over the manifold(making sure that the vacuum fittings pass through their respective holes in the inner tube piece).  Allow time for the silicone seal to set up.  As always, declare victory.  Cheers.

inanecathode

Alrighty, planning on going to steeles tomorrow and see if i cant find a couple good looking boots.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

zore

I always thank my brother in law for keeping my xz in a garage all it's life.  Nothing was dry rotted on it from sitting in the sun.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

inanecathode

Steeles was closed today, i called boulder bike works, message said they were open on saturdays. 50 miles later, they are in fact, closed.
Got a bit of cleaning done on the engine, used some 'mothers mag and aluminum polish' on what i could find. Results on non-clearcoated parts is fantastic, on the frame tubes is also fantastic, and it made the headers shine like new :D. You dont really appreciate how many un-gettable nooks and crannies there are on the V until you have to clean it. Onto the q-tips!

Bondo's "black restore" stuff is just about useless incase anyone is wondering. Basically it comes down to water based black paint, goes on streaky, comes out streaky and BARELY darker than the chalked up plastics i already have. Two thumbs down, plus it smells. I'll try a few more products before i throw up my hands and just paint them black. I've a notion armorall should blacken it up a bit.

I'm planning on taking the carbs out and using a bit of paper towel or fiberglass matting and making a tiny patch consisting of RTV and paper/fiber glass and laying it over, inside and out, where the split is on my boot and feathering it with more rtv. Hopefully that should hold alright.

Master cylinder rebuild never showed up, apparently it vanished on the way to the shop. Supplier says it shipped, invoice said it was billed, its not on backorder or out of stock, but it still just didnt show up, very odd. I'll just order one off the interwebs and do it that way.

Lucky

Hey inna-gadda-da-vida,

I have an 82 master cyl kit unopened, i have an 83 master (they are different).  so order the 83 kit & we'll swap.

DO NOT coat the inside of the intake with anything.  if something comes loose, where does it go? straight into the cylinder, plus it'll mees up your airflow.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

In....ode didn't you catch Reckons' very recent strong recommendation regarding S100 engine restorer?

inanecathode

Re QBS: mmmmm no i dont remember that :/
Lucky: In the interest of time i'm going to see if i can't get it ordered myself and overnighted. Nothing against your most likely elven magic blessed kit, but i'm trying to get my V totally done this week (yeah yeah, totally done, but at least 90% done, roadworthy if you will)

Good call on the intake sealing, i wasnt thinking, i'll just go ahead and slather some around the throat with the carb mounted. The stuff is soft enough that i'll be able to just pull the carbs off of the goop when time comes to do that.

Lucky

in, it's memorial day weekend, no mail Monday, i'll ship it overnight on Tuesday if you want, & you can order & send me the 83 kit regular mail, save the overnight shipping charge.  i have an 82 kit i can't use, & can't afford an 83 kit right now...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black