News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New To The Vision (Not really anymore, but working it out)

Started by inanecathode, March 18, 2007, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Quote from: Lucky on May 26, 2007, 09:19:33 PM
in, it's memorial day weekend, no mail Monday, i'll ship it overnight on Tuesday if you want, & you can order & send me the 83 kit regular mail, save the overnight shipping charge.  i have an 82 kit i can't use, & can't afford an 83 kit right now...

Alrighty then, sounds like a plan. Pm sent.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

inanecathode

Had a nice ride, and a good visit with mister kwells, got my fork seals now :D. Gained some valuable insight into carb cleaning, plus its good to shmooze with fellow Vnaries :D

On a more serious side, miss V isnt running right at all. It wont start with ANY throttle, accelerater pump, enricher at all. Meaning you have to just let the throttle sit on the stop and crank it for a while. It doesnt idle without the throttle cracked, it doesnt like low end wide open throttle, or any sudden throttle changes under 5k rpm, on the way home it took a while to get below 3k rpm. I'm just going to take the carbs totally off, totally apart, dip, wire, and replace the leaky intake boot. Seriously though kids, enough messing around, im gonna fix it, and fix it right.
Tomorrow will be a steele's day, part of a painting day, and maybe a smidge of CB750 day. Kinda putting off the painting, it's not going as i'd like it to, but might as well just finish the job THEN see how it turned out.
Also, i will do the fork seals like i do anything else i dont know how to do... Get help! Only half kidding really, i wouldnt mind stealing precious V time from a fellow colorado visionary to help me do the forks. I don't know about their vision... or themselves for that matter lol.

h2olawyer

If you can get your V running better, bring it down to Ft. Collins.  We can knock out the fork rebuild in a couple hours - max.  (assuming there are no serious issues with them)  I've done two sets so far & need to do Silver Vs again.  Unknown reason for it, but the right fork never really sealed well after the last rebuild.  Guess I'll try some actual motorcycle fork seals rather than the ones from my local bearing supplier.

I'd come up there to help, but I finally am home for an extended period & have multiple V projects to finish before the June party.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: inanecathode on May 29, 2007, 12:12:48 AM
replace the leaky intake boot.

You probably know this, but this one is really serious and will cause huge problems.

inanecathode

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 29, 2007, 11:56:02 AM
Eh? Don't follow :o

He is talking about the fact that if your intake boots are cracked that they could be cause a serious compression leak which will make the bike run like crap.  Fix those before doing to much more as that might be your problem.

Take it one step at a time as you might just fix the problem with step 1 instead of doing steps 1-5 all at once and not noing which one actually fixed it.  Just trying to save you some time and effort as this may be a simple fix.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Picked up an idle mixture screw as my old one is trashed, and a drain screw because my o-ring is trashed on mine.
I'll just run a bit of wire through my jets to make sure they're clear, and clean/seal the new intake boot. About the intake boot, is it a bad idea to reuse the old gasket if it's not leaking? Also, is it a special composite or can i just whip one out of a chunk of gasket paper?

Lucky

don't use wire to clean a jet, you'll gouge it, instead, use a piece of nylon fishing line.

you should be able to make an intake gasket out of the regular gasket material.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

samsr

If you take the carbs totally appart, DONT  forget to clean the small holes in the emulsion tubes.  Thes cause major problems.

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on May 30, 2007, 04:00:08 PM
don't use wire to clean a jet, you'll gouge it, instead, use a piece of nylon fishing line.

you should be able to make an intake gasket out of the regular gasket material.

yeah, thinking back, the kits came with new jets so I did not use my guitar strings on them...

thanks for making that clear
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

What's the default pilot screw adjustment? 3 turns out right?

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

inanecathode

GAH!

I still cant get it to run right. I took the carbs out, cleaned out the pilot jets thoroughly (there was some crap sitting down in the pilot jet plug), sealed up the new intake boot, put it on, and its STILL running weird.
The front mixture screw does absolutely nothing, the rear mixture screw (when i can finally get to it) does absolutely nothing as well. It's racing on its own randomly, seeking, the idle adjustment does next to nothing, it's slow coming down off of rpms. And now, none of the instruments work. Tach is inoperable, idiot lights except for the bright bulb are inoperable, horn doesnt work, turn signals don't work.
And with the syncing tool, i have no idea what im doing or what's going on. Turning the sync rod one way, the idle increases alot, but the sync tool says they're way out of sync, turning the other way, i can get the sync tool to say they're synced right, but the idle is crappy.
Heads are going to start rolling soon, and i bet they won't be mine >=(

Lucky

QuoteTurning the sync rod one way, the idle increases alot, but the sync tool says they're way out of sync, turning the other way, i can get the sync tool to say they're synced right, but the idle is crappy.

that's what should happen.

turn the synq rod (slowly allways) so that the balance improves. yes, the idle will change, but you adjust it with the idle screw. 

rinse & repeat.

eventually you should have it down to a managable idle & balanced carbs.  if you can't turn the idle down far enough, back off the adjusting nut under the run switch on the bars.

--Lucky

inanecathode

It won't idle though, and the mixture adjustment does absolutely nothing.

Lucky

if the synq is way off, it'll idle like crap. you have to get the synq fairly close.

so we are clear, idle screw & pilot screws are different

I was refering to idle speed. i know your tach is out, but it should idle at around 1300.  guestimate it if you can.  any lower & it'll idle rough anyway (it'll lope like a big block with cams) remember a car will idle at 600-800 rpms, don't be fooled thinking the bike won't idle 'low enough', 1300 is normal for a Vision.  if H20 was there he could get you close by 'sound'

slowly turn the pilot screw in untill you notice a difference in the idle then turn the screw back out. it should smooth out again & then roughen again.  set the screw at the mid point.  82's will have a large 'midpoint'

repeat with the other pilot screw.

do all this with the YICS capped.

if your pilots screws can be turned all the way in or out without stalling the bike, the carbs are still dirty.

--Lucky

inanecathode

I suppose my carbs are still dirty then :/ my pilots do just as you said, no change.

visionless

At this point you call your father who has owned a Vision since 1984 and let him fix it.  Wait I think that only works for me. Sorry!
                       Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

inanecathode

Lol, well, i don't understand. Should i sync it to the guage? Or sync it till it idles higher?