New To The Vision (Not really anymore, but working it out)

Started by inanecathode, March 18, 2007, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

You had mentioned that you were replacing the intake boots.  Might be a good start.  I'm going to assume you've checked all your vacuume houses and they are leak free. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

Quote from: zore on June 06, 2007, 11:43:20 AM
I'm going to assume you've checked all your vacuume houses and they are leak free. 

Including the ones to your vacuum gauge please.  ;)

Brian

zore

If you have a mighty vac pump, it can be your best friend.  Easy to check componants for vacuum leaks (hoses and such.)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

I have a vacuum gauge if you want to borrow it inane...not sure if it will help
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

I think i might just replace the boots... has to be done eventually i imagine, every time i take the carbs in and out it flexes the boots more, and judging by how fragile the rear one was, im damaging them both now.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

Quote from: inanecathode on June 06, 2007, 12:54:53 PM
judging by how fragile the rear one was, im damaging them both now.

That sounds really bad.  The carb boots I have are pretty beefy, and removing the carbs/reinstalling the carbs didn't look like it would hurt them at all.  While they are not new, they are not the originals that were on the bike from 1983.  I think they were replaced in the early 90s.

Brian

inanecathode

Aye... suppose theres no reason why i shouldnt start with replacing the boots/gaskets. 133 bucks for the boots plus shipping  :-X
What should i do about the gaskets? The boots from the 83 are going to fit the 82, what about the gaskets? Are the 83 gaskets different?

h2olawyer

Gaskets are the same - or at least they will work.

Replacing the boots sounds like a good idea at this point.

The ones on Silver V are the originals.  They have the typical surface cracking, but they're still strong & beefy.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Just met inane's brother while I was working on the V.  He was telling me of CB whoas.....
If you KNOW your intake manifold boots have to be replaced, by all means, replace them but it is an expensive way to experiment.  I think you said it was your front carb right?  I haven't checked but I may be able to get a clean spare front carb for you to check with.  Lemme know....

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

It might be both again, im pretty sure the rear one is sealed alright (read: pretty sure) but im also pretty sure the front one shouldnt be 'breathing' like i've seen it. That, in combination with unplugging the front vacuum port and there being no change in idle...
I suppose i could just replace the front one as well and see where that leaves me.

inanecathode

Ah well, new boots are on the way. Those faint of heart look away!
166 dollars in total.
Sure it's pricey, but it's better than 'i think' at least now i will KNOW the boots are fine.

zore

It is unfortunate, but I was going to suggest you throw the carbs in a box, i'll bolt them on my bike and see if there was any issue there.  You pay for shipping here and back and call it a day.  Unless you live close to jersey, then just ride in.  :)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

inanecathode

Lol, i'll see if the boots will fix things up a bit. Pretty sure the carbs are clean. Guess i wont know until i get the new boots on :D

inanecathode

Ladies and gentlemen! Behold inanecathode's amazing powers of making-things-worse!
I decided to try my luck at getting the master cylinder rebuild kit in on my v. After stripping out ANOTHER MC cap screw, and failing to get the mirror out, i struggled over the stupid snap ring inside the MC for about an hour. Upon removal, the mc piston proceded to come shooting out, hit me in the face, and land on the couch, the furriest spot in the whole house. Another 15 minutes looking for brake clean, finally got the thing all cleaned out.
Opened the rebuild kit bag and POW, brake parts everywhere.
Another 30 minutes looking for all the misc parts. All the parts scraped together and put in an organized pile now. It was at this point i realized i had a hole in my lined pants pocket. How do i know this you ask? Walking into the kitchen to get a sharp implement, and suddenly my pants were much more jingly than they should.
30 minutes fishing cap screws, mounting bolts, and hardware out of my lined pant leg.
Now the tricky part! Putting the square peg in the round hole that is trying to get the mc cups over the piston. Im pretty sure i didnt put a hole in them, but they are on there, and i'm pretty sure they're facing the right way.
The process of putting the snapring back in:
alllmost alllmost PING!
alllmost..... allllllmost ZING!
Allllllmost..... click!
I finally got the whole thing back together and back on the bike. Put some fluid in it, and let the bubbles come out, tried to use the brake and! Nothing.
Nothing at all, not even resistance, just all the way back to the grip with absolutely no pressure at all. I try tapping the MC, nothing comes out of the holes. I try bleeding it (holding the handle back, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, return the handle) and nothing comes out. I proceed with apparently having no effect on anything in my world for about 2 hours. Still, nothing.
There it sits, in the driveway, non-functioning still. I know the brake was working before, now its definetly not working. Glad i cleared that up  :-\

kwells

i cant help but to laugh...sorry...I think lucky can offer some recent anecdotal wisdom as I cannot.

www.wellsmoto.com

zore

Dude, I just pissed my pants from laughing.  But fear not, we have all been there. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Great description of when nothing goes right.  Too funny . . .   :D

I know it may not help now, but I found the brake system is much easier to bleed if you can get some vacuum to the system.  There is a bubble of air in the master cylinder.  That bubble prevents the fluid coming out of the MC.  It's nearly impossible to get that bubble out.

The procedure below "primes the pump".

I use a large veterinarian type syringe & some rubber tubing (that came with the speedbleeder bag kit).  Hook the tubing to the bleed bolt, hook the tubing to the syringe (with the plunger pushed in all the way).  crack open the bleed bolt & have someone slowly pull the lever in while you pull the plunger of the syringe out.  When the lever reaches the grip, tighten the bleed bolt, then release the lever.  Repeat the process a couple times.  Then, with the MC cap off - so you can keep an eye on the fluid level, bleed as normal - described in the Haynes manual.  Don't let the MC run out of fluid.

Speedbleeders make this a much easier project.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

yep, the manual makes it sound so easy... but it ain't.

usually time and gravity will win though. take your time.... feverishly pumping the lever and frothing the fluid does not help...

filling the MC and leaving the bleeder open... tapping the brake line... .then slowly pulling the lever and slowly releasing ...let it rest a 1/2 hour.... all help

on the inside bottom of the MC is a tiny hole... make sure that's open.... you should see bubbles coming up through that hole.... you'll know you're close when you start getting a "fountain" / spurt of fluid coming out of that hole instead of air....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

supervision

It's for sure, to fill the system is harder than Chinese Arithmatic.  I found out,, after the  reading up on the subject, an easy way with only minimum effort..  take your bleed screw out and wrap abunch of tephlon tape on the threads so that when you screw it into the caliper it makes alittle bit of a seal, with out bottoming against the stop.. this way you can force fluild with a syrange and a hose up the lines... go slow, have no air in the syrange or hose when you do this. start with no fluid in the resevoir, it will slowly be filled as you force the fluid up from the bottom.  it is easy because the air wants to naturally go to the top. when you are free of bubbles, move the leaver a tiny bit and it will reliese acouple more bubbles. you can also tap on the caliper , in the begining to free any stuck bubbles.  when your done shut the bleed screw, it will bite thru the extra telphlon tape and the system is nowsealed off, and  free from air.  if you try this you will never try anyother way cause it is so effective       be carefull with the fluid ,it is nasty stuff
" border="0