New To The Vision (Not really anymore, but working it out)

Started by inanecathode, March 18, 2007, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Well that's it i guess. I can't make the meet  :-\
I left my GDMFING epoxy at my gf's house in denver, and hour away. I just now realized i left it there. I can't mix it up and patch the tank tonight, it won't be done by tomorrow night, the tank will still leak, it won't be painted, and the whole bike wont be ready in time to ride next week. My boots arent here, i dont have time to find a front brake switch, carbs arent in tune at all, fuse box isnt here so the front end is without power.
I'm really mad at myself, i had months and months to fix this damn thing and all i did was f*ck around and waste time. Guess i'll end up paying for it next week :-\
I'm more bummed that it's not even close, i didnt just leave one part unfixed, nearly the whole god damn kit and kaboodle is still un-road worthy.
Guess i'll just chase you guys around in my neon :/

Edit:
I'm kinda on the line between giving up all together and spending the whole of next week (somehow managed to get the whole week off, partly a favor from my manager) just breaking fixing up my vision more, or getting out some arc lights and spending literally every waking moment working on the V (think fans and hair driers on the paint) Still not sure what to do about the intake boots (worth mentioning again, that i swear to god almighty if i ever somehow get ahold of someone at bike bandits im going to melt the goddamn phone wires down, i paid 20 extra dollars to get expidited shipping, and this is what i get???!!!) Fuse box i could just, retape together and stick some folded up paper to keep the signal fuse in contact...
Just feels like im totally out of steam on this thing

Oh, and the guy who i won the cb parts from just welched on shipping them for a week.

Edit2:
GAH! GAAAAAAH GAAAAAAAAAAH! I've been waiting for a f*cking week for parts that are BACK ORDERED!?!!!?!? Bike bandits lists my parts as "ON F*CKING ORDER!" WHY!? Didn't they tell me this! If i wanted to waste a week of my time and a hundred and sixty six dollars for sitting around with my thumb up my butt i could have been done alot more freakin efficient!
GAH! and GAH! again.

(Sorry for the language. But they should have listed it as back ordered, or at least notified me another way besides sitting around waiting for he brooklyn bridge to go on sale.)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

zore

As soon as I saw your avatar change to the big froweny face, I had coffee coming out of my nose.  I feel your pain but if you were going to do a ride like this, I'd be hoping it be on the road for a little more than 14 minutes before heading under way.  Even if you got it done last week, I'd be hesitant on doing any long rides for a while until you get a few miles on it. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

inanecathode

Thats the thing though, i did get quite a few miles in until i realized how bad of shape it was in. If i can just get the tank patched and painted, and the boots in (grumble grumble) I'll be fine. I mean,  i can get some stuff done in 3 days.
I'm going to harbor freight today to get a small canopy and some work lights. I stay up late anyway, don't see why i can't be outside working.

inanecathode

Can i get it road ready in 3 days? I dunno, but i know a good way to find out!
Lights
Canopy
Boots
Brake switch
JB Weld
Paint
Dark sunglasses

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 14, 2007, 11:16:59 AM
Can i get it road ready in 3 days? I dunno, but i know a good way to find out!
Lights
Canopy
Boots
Brake switch
JB Weld
Paint
Dark sunglasses

Don't forget to pick up a large spray can of "Gremlin-be-gone".  If you can't find any of that a large can of "whoopa$$" should do the trick if you know the general location of the gremlins.

What are the dark sunglasses for?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 14, 2007, 11:50:39 AM
For being cool <_<

Looks like you gotta make a new avitar face that has sunglasses on it.  8)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Lol, i'll get right on that after the V is worked on today. Good idea!

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 14, 2007, 11:58:07 AM
Lol, i'll get right on that after the V is worked on today. Good idea!

And my wife doens't think that I can come up with good ideas! ;D

You could use this one until you can make your own.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Naaaaaw, i want it to be an inane original. Just you wait and see, it'll rock!

Tiger

:) Ina...I know its kinda stinky, but with the gas tank removed and drained, take it into the house to J.B.Weld it. That will help drying time and get you on the road quicker.
Leave the windows and back door open but close any internal door's... ;)
The carb intake boots can be done while the J.B.Weld is drying... 8)
Good luck buddy...you CAN do it... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

I believe the JB weld directions tell you to let it cure for a few hours first-then you can speed up the cure hanging a light bulb a few inches from the spot. I didn't think mine was ever going to cure till I gave it the bulb treatment! Warm, but not so hot you couldn't keep your hand on it.

Tiger

;) Just like one of those old spy films Don..."YOU WILL DRY OUT J.B."  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Ok, jb is on and setting i hope, still goey after an hour. Carbs are off, intake boots are off but GAH i don't have the intake gaskets. They're "on f*cking order" from bike bandits. Anyone have any ideas? Can i use gasket material? Piece of innertube? Fuse box still isnt here, guess i'll just stick a couple inlines on there or something.

Nothing really to do except to paint the pieces again. Woo i guess :/

Update: Can't paint the tank until the JB is done. Can't get the boots in until i get gaskets. Can't tune the bike if the carbs arent in.
COME ON VISION GODS FFS THAT'S ENOUGH!

Update: Just checked my email, for i assume 5 days the boots and gaskets have been "on f*cking order" from bike bandits. I sent a scathing email threatening loss of buisness and sacrifice of voodoo dolls. 15 minutes (according to gmail time) after todays open of their office, a notification of shipment of my boots and a confirmation number of 2 day shipping. They should be here on the 18th, which doesnt really help because i plan on attending the meet from sunday to teusday. Even in light of a slight success i'm still screwed.

h2olawyer

I think you can use standard gasket material.  Never actually seen those gaskets, though.  Not sure if they're metal sandwich or just paper.  Try to duplicate the thickness as close as possible.  At least your parts are finally on their way.   ::)

Like I said - you and your Neon are still welcome to come up, enjoy the get together & even tag along as a chase car.  Your presence would be quite a help!  We all know you are a (now multi) Vision owner fighting gremlins.  Heck, a friend is coming up on either Monday or Tuesday to meet the gang & ride along.  Not sure if he'll be on his Venture or his GTS1000 - but no Vision.   :P

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

At this point i dont think it's an issue of not being able to go period, it's wether i can be there on time. Fedex tracking says my new boots and gaskets should be here on monday, so if the ones off my silver v dont work out, i can always make it late.
Heres what i need to get done:

Boots off of the parts bike
Intake gaskets made
Tank primed and painted (decided to shoot a layer of ultra flat to give the green paint some teeth and a background)
Front fender painted
Plastics final coat (to give some thickness to my final sanding, final coat will go on when parts are out flat [hanging is too streaky])
Boots and gaskets on the V
Pieces parts and misc back on the V
Rough tune in (figure you guys can help me get it fine tuned in when i get to WP)

Heres what i got done tonight:
Gas tank wire brushed and JB applied and curing
Front fender off, sanded, primed
Plastics got the second to last coat of paint
Brake line pressure let off (for some weird reason the front brake was wicked stiff, made the bike hard to push even. Somehow developed pressure whilst sitting)
RH Turn signal lense on
Carbs removed, intake boots removed (intake gaskets destroyed too :D)

I don't think it's impossible, just required some major gas burning and some quick work on my part. I think i can do this...
I think i can, i think i can, i think i can.

h2olawyer

It's quite a bit, but should be doable.  I think I have your cell# - I don't think I have cell coverage in WP, so I may have someone else give you a ring - or figure out how to get you the phone # in the condo.  We do have wireless internet access at the coffee shop across the street from the condo - so we can keep tabs on your progress.

Best to take your time, work deliberately & get things done right the first time.  I know - easier said than done.  I rarely get things right on the V first time through.   ::)  Work from the mission critical items to the cosmetic.  If it runs & stops well, the battle is mostly over.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ProfessorRex

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

inanecathode

Lol, even movies about asian people don't have asian people in them.

inanecathode

Ok, new boots are on, carbs are on, everything is reletively put back together. Runs alot better until i mess with the sync then it starts running funny again. I'll see if i can't get kwells to help me tune it, otherwise i'll just go to the meet as is and have a brain storm session over it. I think the running issues have alot to do with the syncing of the carbs. Its just, weird. After putting the carbs on again (after i assume the sync rod was bottomed) i had to turn the idle screw way way up to get it to idle. Monkeyed with the mixture after that. After it was totally warmed up it was having some slight bogging issues but above 3krpm it was fine. I then hooked up the sync tool, hit the starter, and within 2 strokes it almost totally emptied the sync tool. I then clamped the hose down (put some clamps on the fittings themselves as well to be sure) then whilst keeping the idle up, synced it in pretty good. Turned the idle down, now its running the same. Slow return to idle, poor idling, fine above 3krpm, mixture screws not doing anything.

Help?