News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

GRRRRRR - Another one!!!

Started by h2olawyer, March 18, 2007, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

I know I've said this before and I know they are expensive(how much does it cost for 3 aftermarket stators?) but the stator-eaters anonymous should probably invest in the upgraded Yamaha OEM unit. I promise that when my original finally goes, and it will, I will put my upgrade OEM in and keep a close check on it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Ground circuit on the bike is as follows:

Batt- --> Engine --> Frame --> Wire Harness

Battery connects to the engine with a wire (neg cable) & that's fine.

The engine connects to the frame where it bolts on. you are depending on the mounting bolts to continue the circiut.... a braided ground wire from the frame to the engine would be wise here. rubber engine mounts would be a no-no.

Frame connects to the wire harness under the left coil, so a good connection between the engine & frame is a must.

if you are adding ground wires, don't bother going from R/R black to frame, your already there, go instead to the battery or engine.

a ground strap between the starter mounting bolt & engine can't hurt, but failing that any bolts that connect starter to engine, & engine to frame should be checked to make sure they are corrosion free.  i'm sure there are enough mounting points so that a little bit of 'poor connection' won't be noticable, but after cleaning all the (positive) wire harness connections, it makes sense to double check the ground path as well.

--Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Quote from: Walt_M. on March 19, 2007, 06:58:46 PM
I know I've said this before and I know they are expensive(how much does it cost for 3 aftermarket stators?) but the stator-eaters anonymous should probably invest in the upgraded Yamaha OEM unit. I promise that when my original finally goes, and it will, I will put my upgrade OEM in and keep a close check on it.

If this stator fries in the next year or two, my next one will likely be the upgraded Yamaha unit.  Just hope I won't be throwing $280 at another one that lasts a year or two.

H2O

EDIT:  Went and looked through my parts bins.  In the box of parts I got with the bike from Professor Rex last Summer, I found a used OEM stator.  Knew it was around someplace.  It tests OK and looks pretty good.  Dark brown but not blackened & the outer coating is thick, smooth & shiny.

Now the dilemma - install it tomorrow or wait for the rewound one I got on eBay.  Since I'm going to use the Cometic gasket, I'll be able to change it again fairly easily should I have to.  We're supposed to have some great weather for the next couple days with temps 20 degrees (F) above average.  Even predicting 65 for Estes Park!  I WANNA RIDE!  Guess I"ll go get some oil & a filter in the morning, then decide whether or not to risk the used one.  Input?
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Install it... and hope it lasts until the 25th. Aniversary Continuing Education Stator Replacement Seminar.

That class should be worth 2 continuing education credit hours.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

don_vanecek

two additional credit hours if you also do the clutch starter bolts at the same time.

h2olawyer

Decided to do the used stator.  If it fries during the June party, I will have a spare & can get it back on the road in a few hours.  Since I will be installing the Cometic gasket this time, I shouldn't need to buy another cover gasket.  (For those who don't know, Cometic gaskets are supposed to be reusable.)

Already did my starter clutch bolts & tightened the balancer gear nut.   ;D  I'll be happy to guide others through it, though.  My air tools will be available.  The flywheel sure comes off easier using the impact wrench on the puller!

My V should be charging ahead again by this time tomorrow.  I'll be waiting about 18 hours after it is all together before I add the oil.  Gives time for the Yamabond 4 (or in my case, Threebond 1104) to cure a bit.

Anyone need photos of the operation?

H2O

EDIT:  Well, new oil & filter in hand.  Good used stator and Cometic gasket ready.  Plenty of Threebond 1104 to seal those &%$@#$^&%$ grommets.  Guess its time to go into the garage for a few hours of "bike bonding".  By the way, the Bel-Ray EXS 0W-40 has gone up.  Now $13 / qt.!  Wish the bike would shift as smooth with semi-synth.  Oh well, it's for a good cause.   ;D 
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

h2olawyer

WOW!!!  I've seen several fried stators before but this is the first time I've ever seen the insulation that surrounds the top metal parts over each individual winding totally melted away.  All that epoxy recongealed at the base of the stator.  Wonder what kind of heat that thing was producing!  The coating over the windings still looks pretty good, though.  Was nice Electrosport blue but is now a nice, medium brown.

Will post pics comparing the used one I'm installing with the fried one.  Am cleaning parts right now - gasket remover spray is a wonderful thing!  Just wanted to post what I'd discovered.  Think I'll put 35W bulbs in my aux. lights.  Those 55W bulbs may have been just too much.

H2O

kwells

so much for your heated grips too
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Superfly

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Night Vision

;D

QBS

Suggest you guys study up on how the V charging system works.  The alternator puts out max power all the time. Power left over after servicing the bikes' lighting and ignition loads is shunted to ground via the RR.  So, the alternator is constantly under max load no matter what.  The only thing that will happen if the lights/ignition/assessory load exceeds the alternators' output capacity is that the battery will become discharged.

Now, if the RR can't shunt to ground because of an in adequate ground source, then things might get real interesting in stator land.

kwells

so ur back in luck H20...load up that amperage
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

I do know how the system works - just more of an off hand comment trying to figure out why this thing keeps blowing up stators.

I have gone through EVERY connection on the bike - including the frame grounds.  ALL have been cleaned & polished (3 times in 4 years now).  All were tight & not corroded the first time.  Have read Leather's site numerous times.  I know that any excess current is shunted to ground & I have clean paths that direction.  That's why I'm at a loss to figure out what's happening.  Am ordering a better R/R that Electrosport claims has better electronics & a larger heat sink.  Maybe that's the answer.

For some reason, I am really overheating the stators.  The one that fried first was the original factory part.  It really crispied the insulation.  I'm beginning to wonder if the last two were defective.  The Rick's showed no crispy insulation - the short is internal to the windings someplace.  Insulation was dark but not fried.  The Electrosport unit I just removed had good wiring insulation but the insulation around the outer poles all melted away & coagulated down at the bottom of the stator.  I will post photos when I get around to getting them off my camera & edited to a size that can be posted here.

I have added the R/R to neg. battery post this time - hope it lasts until the improved R/R comes in.  Won't be riding a ton before then.

H2O

supervision

H2, maybe you should try sanding the metal of the mounting surface, for better heat transfer..... diffenently use the used one! might last just as long as a new one.  When I had a new one that looked so poor quality, I got a used Honda, with a heavy coating and am running that now. I have  a new one in the box, I was afraid to Install in a motor.   
" border="0

h2olawyer

Used one is installed.  Couldn't wait to try it.  Filled bike with oil & started it up.  Charges at 13.2V @ idle & 13.92 @ 5,000 RPM.  Never did see 14V on the digital voltmeter right at the battery terminals.  Think this used one may be on its way out.  I'll keep running it until it goes, though.  Will also install a new R/R to see if that helps at all.  The way I see it, it couldn't hurt.

Got bike good & warm - no leaks (yet).  Got the old grommets very clean & used a fair amount of Threebond 1104 on all sealing & mating surfaces.  Also used the cometic gasket.  Both mating surfaces - engine & cover were spotless.  That gasket remover is amazing.  Spray it on (be careful not to get any on the paint) let it sit a few minutes.  The old gasket just wipes away, leaving absolutely no trace!

Every vehicle I've owned has had charging issues at one time or another.  (Except my 62 VW Bug.)  Doesn't matter if I've played with any electric circuits or not.  Maybe I'm just cursed that way.  So far, 3 alternators on my F250 in 8 years (60,000 miles).  To be fair, those alternators are notorious, just like our V stators - maybe even worse.  The last one died in such a way it would drain the battery overnight.  Took it in to be tested twice & it tested fine.  The NAPA store here is a good one.  Anyway, I just bit the bullet & got a new (not remanufactured) alternator.  Better charging & my battery doesn't drain.

Will keep all informed of how well this stator works.  The one from Tim Parrott should be here by the end of the week so at least I'll have another one when this one dies.   ::)

H2O

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 20, 2007, 10:26:39 PM

Used one is installed.  Couldn't wait to try it.  Filled bike with oil & started it up.  Charges at 13.2V @ idle & 13.92 @ 5,000 RPM. 

that's about where I am now with the low voltage stator...

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=5577.msg47327#msg47327
;D

h2olawyer

Here are a couple photos showing the fried Electrosport I just removed & the used Yamaha I just installed.

H2O

EDIT:  Just returned fro a 20 mile shakedown ride.  The battery must not have been up to par last night.  I had been using it to get the former Professor Rex bike started.  Was also using my portable jump starter as added kick.  Anyway, must have drained it a little bit because after spending the night on the Battery Tender, it charges great!  My volt gauge showed about 14V at its peak last night (13.9+ on the multimeter).  Today, it stayed just below 15V until I switched on the aux lights.  That dropped it to somewhere around 13.5V.  A few seconds after turning the lights off, it was back up to almost 15V again.  Still need to check it with the multimeter, but this stator seems to be pretty strong after all.   ;D

motoracer8

H20, Did you buy a new Yamaha stator? I did not know of all the Vision generator probblems till I started looking at this site 2 years ago. I have ridden my V 33,000 miles with no generator probblems. Shortly after I got my V running, it fried a stator, that was at 12,000 miles. I asumed it had gotton very hot as the previous owner had run it out of oil. I replaced the stator and regulator with OE Yamaha parts, and the regulator is in it's original location. The V now has 45,000 miles and almost 20 years of me riding it and it has been stone relibable. One thing I did do is install a headlamp switch, I bought one in England some years ago, I don't run the lights during the day, as they are not required in Califofnia except in safety areas. The regulator dose run some hotter with the lites on, but I can't tell you how much. With the idle at 1200/1300 RPM, it will drop about 200 RPM when I turn the lights on, so it dose present more load with the lights on. The generator makes 14.5 volts, lights on or off.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Lucky

Quote from: motoracer8 on March 21, 2007, 10:15:16 PM
The V now has 45,000 miles and almost 20 years of me riding it and it has been stone relibable.   Ken G.

Hu-Oh!, now you've done it...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Not a new Yamaha stator - it's a decent looking used one.  It is in one of the photos I posted last night.  Professor Rex bought it to put in the bike I bought from him last Summer.  As I posted earlier, it started out charging a little low, but on a ride I did today, it charges right close to 15V on my gauge.  Haven't checked it with the multimeter today, but the gauge on the bike never registered that high last night.  Will go out to the garage in a while to give it another check.  Probably a low battery was to blame - I'd been using it, along with a portable jump starter, to get Prof Rex's old 82 started.  Didn't put it back on the battery tender until after I finished the project last night.  Whatever the cause last night, today it was charging rock steady & higher than I ever saw either the Rick's or the Electrosport - according to the gauge.

My OEM stator lasted many years, but only about 4500 miles.  The used one I put in yesterday looks like it has better insulation than the first (OEM) stator I fried.  Might be one of the later upgraded ones.  The one I got on eBay from Tim Parrott Enterprises will be a spare in case this one or the one in the V I'm buying from racerron burns up.  Now that I have a spare, I may never need another one.   ::)   (fat chance of that!)

H2O