News:

Main Menu

Christmas at my house!

Started by Tiffanator, March 21, 2007, 03:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanator

So I know I haven't posted much lately, been super busy with work around my parents' house... and... admittedly... riding my 500R to get practice.  So the poor Vision has been sitting. I did get the tank down to bare metal and cleaned out where some pretty nasty rust had eaten through the metal.  I rebuilt the petcock and cleaned it... spent a while digging out orange goo that was once gasoline, so I'm assuming every nook and cranny on my carbs is nicely gunked.
Now for the Christmas part... I got Lucky's CD in the mail saturday (I think) and bounced gleefully to the computer to have a looky... but alas, was caught up the rest of the weekend doing yard work for my parents.  Then just yesterday I arrived home from work to find a medium sized package in a grocery bag hanging from my mailbox.. it was none other than the starter solenoid, flasher relay, and turn signal amber lens that I got from louthepou.  It was totally like Christmas as I tore through the box containing my goodies, stopping only momentarily to say... "Hey, that newspaper is all French, cool."  So... my flashers happily wink at me and the solenoid should work... but having not worked on the bike for a while the battery was low... so I put it on charge for a while last night and will charge it the rest of the way tonight.  Add these goodies to the YICS, side panel and information sheets I got from Tiger and I'm well on my way... thanks to you all!
So... a few little questions.
-- I need to patch the holes in the gas tank... most of them are small and could be patched with something like epoxy or JB weld.  What would be best to use for this?  I bought some JB, but would want it to form a really good tight bond, which means I really want the rust and Kreeme out of the inside of the tank.  So should I cover the holes with duct tape or foil tape and clean the inside of the tank using acetone.. hoping it doesn't eat through the tape, or go ahead and patch the holes then clean the inside of the tank?
-- I think my handlebar start switch is not making good contact, I've already chased this problem down and it started working while I had the unit off the bar, but when I put everything back and mount it on the bar is stops working again.  Meaning... when I turn the key on the headlight does not come on, and when pushing the button I'm not getting 12 volts to my solenoid through the red/white and blue/white wires.  I've cleaned the contacts and made sure they had a good connection, but am still having problems.  Any advice?
-- After my turn signal lens was in transit from lou I started looking at different designs for the turn signals, some that are a little less boxy, has anyone ever replaced their turn signals?  What kind did you use and how did it fit with the look of the bike?  I would maybe like to go with something oval or bullet, but am not sure how it would look with the hard lines of the headlight and dash pod.

Ok, so maybe the questions weren't so little.  Gosh... I need to stop typing so much.
Oh.. quick note, I'm signed up for an MSF course here in town on April 13-15.
Thanks
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

kiawrench

tiff-
turn signals are a hoot to tinker with -
you can run any light you want, but remember that means a lot of math will be needed, you have to either load match the oen relay, or replace it with an adjustable relay (hot rod shops sell them).

or , you can send pm to KEVIN, and get a set of shortie stalks, and bring the originals in close to the body,,, it really changes the look of the bike, and is cheaper than hit and miss swap outs .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Kevin

I was thinking the same thing as kiawrench. ;)