News:

Main Menu

She started today

Started by kwells, March 24, 2007, 10:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Got a new battery and had to take the carbs out for a quick once over in the passages and to check for any sediment. The in-line filter must have helped to keep them shiny inside. 

After I put the carbs back on she took about 10 secs of starter and she caught and fired up. 

Carbs are still out of whack and will need to play with them for about a week to get them right I think.  Now that I am in Denver I was also considering pulling down the jet size a notch but that will come later.  Fluids will be changed out tomorrow.  Haven't ordered the tires but that will get the new ones this week and get those stocks changed to some stickies.  Will clean her up and post some pics tomorrow.  Forgot how I loved that Red in the sun.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Cool beans!  We might have to meet up in Blackhawk to give the new ROV'er a visit after you've got it sorted out!

I'd go up with the air jets.  I tried smaller mains & couldn't get it to run right.  The 122.5 front / 127.5 rear & 135s in both pilot air jets works well for me.  Notice a power loss around 9500 - 10,000 ft.  Gets pretty anemic at 12,000.  Still ran good at the low end of the California trip, somewhere around 2000 ft. as I recall.  (Caliente near Bakersfield)  Larger pilot air jets (140s?) may make the lower elevation kind of rough but should improve performance over Trail ridge Road & the higher passes.

I'm finishing preparations to go get the Vision from racerron.  Will be meeting him Sunday evening in Grand Junction.  Making it a 2 day trip - should be home by mid afternoon on Monday.  Next project is to make room in the garage & clear off the workbench so I can get it rideable in the next few days!  They're starting to multiply like rabbits!   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

H2, I'm currently running 135s in both.  I tried 140s at St. Louis elevation and it ran like crap.  Perhaps ~137 could get the best of both Denver elevation and 10k?

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Rabbits indeed...I was joking today to my girlfriend's dad that I think Visions are like tattoos...always planning for the next one.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

My garage is getting crowded.  One will have to live outside for a while. Won't be either of the titled / registered ones, though!

I really like the "Brilliant Red" factory color.  It's kind of a Kameleon Kolor before they figured that out!  Back in 82, when I saw a new one live, that color just jumped off the bike.  Quite a few different shades of red, depending on how the light hit it.  Was the color I really wanted (even though "Star Silver" is faster).   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Quote(even though "Star Silver" is faster.

we'll see about that!

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

I'll just claim my excess "bulk" and the weight of the fairing are slowing me down . . .  ;)

H2O

inanecathode

Visit the new ROV'er eh? Perhaps his vision will be running by then!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

The best things to have when putting the good back into a Vision are faith & patience.  Heck, you just got a few more inches of snow up there so there's no hurry.   ::)  Keep us posted on road conditions - mainly looking for reports the sand is gone from the corners.

At least you seem to be amassing some great parts for it!

H2O

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 25, 2007, 02:15:20 AM
The best things to have when putting the good back into a Vision are faith & patience. 
H2O

...How true....However, don't forget the two sister's have two brother's...Time & Money ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Well, theres still snow on the ground right now, it's 30 degrees, and theres enough sand on the roads to build a small mansion.

h2olawyer

Thanks for the report.

I'm just headed out the door to meet racerron in Grand Junction to pick up the next V project.   8)  Nice to know what's happening at your elevation.  I'm interstate bound for the entire trip, so roads should be fine.

Check in with y'all after I get to Grand Junction & am settled in my room for the night.

H2O

inanecathode

Over the divide should be fine, the west slope didnt get much of what we got on this side.

h2olawyer

Roads were just a little patchy wet - no snow or slush - over both the tunnel & Vail Pass.  It's over 70 here in sunny Grand Junction, Colorado.  Beautiful day.  Wish I had my V over here - I'd take it up into Colorado National Monument.   If anyone has seen a movie called "American Flyers", one of the bike races is over that road.  It's the event in which Kevin Costner's character suffers his aneurysm.

Saw quite a few bikes on the Interstates today.  Even a crazy going through Eisenhower Tunnel (11,000 ft.).  Temp was below freezing @ 11 this morning.  He seemed to be plenty warm, though - riding a BMW R1100 - the adventure tour model so he probably had heated clothing to go with the grip heaters.

Racerron is meeting me here at the motel this afternoon.  I'm about to take delivery of V#3!  Sshowed the photos to a friend who promptly dubbed it "The Great Pumpkin".  After the paint gets finished, I may rename it "Yeti".   ;D

H2O

YellowJacket!

C'mon down to Tennessee to visit me and Lucky.  Not to rub it in but it was a sunny and unseasonably HOT 84 degrees out today.  Of course I spent most of it sitting on my mechanics stool trying to get Yellowjacket running.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

We've been in the throes of an unseasonably warm spell statewide.  20 degrees above average.  The snow is melting too fast.  Remaining snowpack is about 75% of normal for late March.  Drove by several ski resorts today - Vail had dirt & rocks showing toward the bottom of the mountain.  Quite a bit more bare ground than I am used to seeing right now.

I'll take my cooler Colorado Summers with low humidity - but a trip to TN in the next few years may be in order.  Gotta ride the Dragon before I get too old to enjoy it!

H2O

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 25, 2007, 06:33:33 PM
I'll take my cooler Colorado Summers with low humidity - but a trip to TN in the next few years may be in order.  Gotta ride the Dragon before I get too old to enjoy it!
H2O

Well, when you do come, I have a place for you to stay. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

That's looking too good by a half.  Thanks for the show!

Thanks for the lodging offer, Dave.  I may have to take you up on it.   ;)

H2O

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 25, 2007, 11:49:14 PM
Thanks for the lodging offer, Dave.  I may have to take you up on it.   ;)
H2O

8) I think we should ALL head down to Daves...Us northern boy's need some sun and heat :o :D :D ;) ;) ;)... :)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!