News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Sintered Pads

Started by kwells, March 25, 2007, 01:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

What's the deal with Sintered Pads?  Dennis Kirk lists as 'for track use only'.  It also says not to use them if not originally equipped with sintered pads.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ps2/bikevision

ok im lost.     

whats a sinterd pad?

h2olawyer

Sintered pads refer to brake pads.  On bikes that didn't have them originally, the harder, grippier pad material will wear out the rotor fairly quickly.  I put some sbs pads on mine when I went to the dual discs.  They work great.  The EBCs are good as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

I am looking for the grippiest pad I can get without wearing through the rotor quickly....probably isnt too big of a deal to have to replace it after 5 yrs but dont want it eating it in a season or 2..

I saw the sintered, kevlar, ceramic, and what I assume as 'regular' listed on dennis kirk

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

The description for the DP sintered pads says safe for all OEM rotors.  There are quite a few 82 rotors around so you can replace it if it does wear too fast.  Might be worth the try.  I read the same warning about not using the sintered pads so I followed the advice.  Didn't want the cheapest, either.  Followed 1/2 my heritage & got the ones from Scandanavia.  OK - the pads are from Denmark & my ancestors are Swedish - at least the company name was close.

With the braided steel lines & sbs pads, the brakes work great.  Granted, that's on dual discs & I went from entirely OEM 82 front brakes to the 83 setup & braided lines so I don't have anything really to compare them to.  Managed to get the system bled very well, though.  Can't get the lever to touch the foam grip, no matter how hard I squeeze.  The speedbleeders and braided lines are responsible for that.  Were kind of sensitive at first - took some getting used to.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Im running braided lines too so I am hoping for the greatest possible braking for that system.  I doubt it will be sensitive compared to the Spring though....I am quite sure the progressive springs will be in order soon to compensate for greater braking.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

I haven't gone with the progressives yet but if I don't have air in the forks, the front dives pretty severely in panic stops.  Even with 8PSI, there's still some dive.

H2O

kwells

Has there been positive feedback with the progressives?  Is there a more agressive approach to the front end dive?  I dont want to start the old front end debates up btw.  I am less concerned with a cushy ride than having the best braking and front end suspension matchup.  I may have an aftermarket monoshock on my non-running vision to swap out to the runner.  Has a blue spring but not sure about the guts of the shock.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

I think supervision has done some revalving to his forks - VisionMeister may have as well.  You might contact them to find out more.  I believe there was a thread fairly recently.

I hear the progressives do help the dive problem, but I don't know to what degree.  They don't tend to bottom out nearly as readily when riding over bumps at slower speeds.  Like the name suggests, they start fairly cushy & get progressively stiffer.  The OEM springs don't have nearly as much progressivity built into them.

H2O

motoracer8

In my opinion, for what it's worth, the progressive springs are a good addition, so are the gold valves, but the springs alone will help with front end dive.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Lucky

just an FYI, while i'd like progressive springs, a bit longer spacer in my 83 front end, & a balance tube between the forks has all but eliminated the dive except under the harshest braking.  i keep the air pressure around 11psi with me on it.

the 83 springs are longer than the 82's (or my old ones were really shot)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Those old springs got tired from hauling you around so much!   ;D

(I can say that as I'm a little 'bulky' myself.)

If I get over 10 PSI in my forks, I tend to get a little oil seepage out of the right fork.  Will be replacing the seals this spring anyway - maybe that will cure it.

H2O

Brian Moffet

The difference between the normal springs (admittedly with 40,000 miles on them) is that they feel about the same with a little bit of movement (my bouncing on them in the garage) but the progressives really take more force to compress as you get to the bottom.

I haven't had a chance to ride them yet.

Brian