News:

Main Menu

Wot I wrote.....

Started by Tiger, March 25, 2007, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I sent this article to a couple of motorcycle mag's this morning...I won't hold my breath...it might be published ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Yamaha XZ550 Vision 25th Anniversary.

Twenty five year's ago Yamaha launched, for me and many other's, a dual sport/tourer motorcycle way ahead of its time. A water cooled, 70 degree V twin, shaft driven, with DOHC, four valves per cylinder, two downdraft Mikuni carb's , mono rear shock, electric only start and radical looks...

The XZ550 or Vision, as they are known in North America, had arrived.

Sadly, after only two year's in North America, Yamaha pulled the plug on this great but much maligned, misunderstood machine.
At the start of '83, the beginning of its second, (and final), year here, Yamaha had re-vamped her..."Better braking wanted"...Twin front rotor's where added..."Rear shock act like a pogo stick on bumpy corner's"...A new shock with five way adjustment for pre-load and rebound damping had been added..."deep nose dive during hard braking occurs"...No problem, Air-assist and progressive front springs where added to the telescopic front fork's...and the carb's where modified to get rid of hesitation, (Vision stumble), that sometimes could be found around the 4 to 4,500 R.P.M. range. New added upgrades, new colour scheme(s) = great improvement's. However, it was a case of wrong time, wrong price, etc ...The curtain came down on the North American Vision and the veil of time draped over her...
Due to a lack of understanding by their owner's AND a lot of "Motorcycle Mechanic's"...This beautiful piece of engineering, prematurely, found its way into the many wrecker's yard's. It seemed as if Yamaha had washed its noble hand's of this "petulant child", a view that many believe still exists today.

Fast forward into 2007...The twentyfith anniversary year of the Vision...

A motorcycle, not abandoned by all, is still alive and kicking. A group of  dedicated enthusiastic owner's of the Yamaha XZ550 Vision, can be found at  www.ridersofvision.net  A superb "Family" group of people, male & female, spanning a wide variety of age's, who have one goal...To have fun and help each other to get the very best out of their "V"'s... A site that doesn't have that "I'm better than you" attitude. People who just want to have fun...on a fun-to-ride, superb motorcycle.

I started to ride motorcycle's in England, way back in 1969...and, like many people, gave up this love to persue a family and career. In July 2005, a wee bit north of Toronto, I was leaving a new customer's premises late in the afternoon, when I spied a wheel sticking out of a cover...turned out to be his new ride. The conversation quickly turned to all things motorcycle. Eventually, to cut a long story short, he pulls the cover off of his first bike, which he has stored in his shop, for several year's. ( A story most Vision owner's will relay!!!) After a beer and some haggling, a deal was struck... I became the third owner of a 1982 Vision...Hmmmm, I suppose a motorcycle license would now be handy!!! as well as an understanding wife...Humber College here I come.....
I am now the proud owner of two restored '82's and a recently acquired '83 which is going thru' the restoration process, ( one of the '82 is soon to have a new owner). I have also acquired, over this period, three donor bike's that have been stripped and the part's cleaned, stored and in some cases sold/traded/given to people to help in the resurrection of their ride(s). Most of what I have been able to achieve, in such a short period of time, would not have been possible without the help and dedication of the Riders of Vision (R.O.V.) family. The sensation of finding fun in a past, not forgotten love...that feel of the open road...ALL the things that the biking fraternity understand...not to mention the fact of adding a great bunch of friend's since July 0f 2005.
This is a motorcycle that may have a jaded past, but in these modern times of modern tool's, new, technically updated product's and some time and patience, you to could, during the riding season ahead, be parking a Vision at your favorite watering hole and have curios people looking and saying thing's like "Its a What"..."Made by Yamaha, are you sure"..."Never heard of a Vision"...You will also get these and other comment's from your local Yamaha dealer part's people, who, may not have been born when the first "V" was launched!!!
I'm busy organizing the OnROV, (Ontario Riders of Vision), spring ride which will be held Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th MAY 2007, (will revise according to the weather, if required)

Yes, this is the 25th anniversary year of the Yamaha XZ550 Vision. A fact not lost by the members of the "Riders of Vision". A rally, in Colorado, is being put together, a week of fun for a group of dedicated people...
Do you want more detail's of the rally, various spring ride's, help or part(s) for that Vision sitting at the back of your garage/shed/barn..... then go to the web site www.ridersofvision.net 

Kind regards and safe riding,

John (Tiger)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

smknjoe1964

Dramatic and informitive ! It brought a tear to my eye  :'( ;) ;D That should definitly be published ! Excellent work John !!!

YellowJacket!

Spoken by a true scholar. ;D

Great story and hopefully article Tiger.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Well, for what its worth, I tried again.  My family is good long time friends with a producer for one of the major do it yourself types of networks.  I contacted him, and offered a personal log on to ROV so we can tel him our story and hopefully get a restoration of the V featured on one of their shows.  They are producing another show about bike restoration, but...its pretty much older bikes like hard to find Nortons and BSA's.  I told him that that was, while nice to watch, out of touch with the masses, and not to even touch choppers because that is over done and way out for most of us.  I also told him about our upcoming 25th anniversary.
Tiger, with your permission, I'd like to send him a copy of your story too.  I hope tha the will bite, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  He's come through before and I have had quite a few shows filmed in my house, but he's also pulled the plug on a few good ones too.

David

Tiger

:) DaveTN and the rest of you Guy's, If any body wants to use this piece, in whole or part, please be my guest...As long as its of benefit to the ROV, I have no problem's.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

8) I've just received this e-mail from Beth Braun of the V.J.M.C. (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club), which I am NOW a member of... 8)

Hi John; thank you for submitting your pictures and article about the
Yamaha Vision.  It is an unusual model.  I will be posting your article
on the web site probably sometime this week, in the Articles section.

Thanks again' Beth Braun

8) Coooool, eh!!!...Take a look at their web site at vjmc.org

8).......TIGER....... 8)

h2olawyer

Saw their website a couple years ago & promptly forgot about it - even meant to join.   ::) 

Great piece, Tiger.  Hope to see it pasted all over the electronic media & maybe even in print!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

i went to that site, and one of the local coffee runs with some of the local members,,, seems to be a honda based group,, they sort of blew off my V with the vetter and matching bags.  guess i wasnt japanese enough that day .

they were mostly on older gold wings, ,dreams and one fellow was on my really want bike- a 1983 silver wing 650 interstate. now those bikes are really slick with the dual seat configuration, (solo with a trunk- or full two seater)
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

I was at a local shop called "Biker Rags" which from appearences caters to the Harley crowd, but was surprised when the clerk, after talking about my bike for a while asked if I was a member of the local vintage japanese bike club.
Later that week at of all places a jewelry store, teh owner and aI were talking about my bike.  He collects old Japaneese bikes and had a lot of questions about my "SECA".  I corrected him of course.  He also suggested joining the local club.

David

louthepou

Love your style, Tiger.

Good job!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

hfarley

I raise my glass in a toast to you Tiger! Well written article! It make me proud to be an owner of 1 running and 1 parts Vision. Keep up the good work!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

don_vanecek

I see there is a VJMC chapter just down the block from me in Omaha, interesting. As if I have time to join something else-haven't even done my income taxes yet (of course for the first time in years I have no kids doing a FASA so no need to rush!)

Hummmm, could be interesting however, maybe, I'll think about it.

Tiger

8) Thank-you every-one for your positive input. I do believe we should spread the word around and create a wee bit of muscle space for the Vision... 8)

I have just joined the VJMC, so really can't comment to much...however, they are publishing my piece 8)
Membership detail's for anybody that may be interested.....
Membership Options
1) One Year North America Membership: $25
2) Multi-year North America Membership: $45.00 for two years
    $65.00 for three year memberships.
3) Club Membership outside of North America: $50

:) Be safe, stay safe... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) A reply from Motorcycle Mojo Magazine...

Thanks John
I'll have a look at it
Glenn Roberts.