News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

my Brother broke my leg today

Started by Night Vision, March 25, 2007, 11:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

nice guy huh?

anyone ever seen a right fork leg broken below where the axle goes through? just above the pinch bolt? not sure if DeckBike has been like that for awhile or not.... but I'm blaming him anyway....

it's kinda scary when you see how little cast aluminum is actually holding the front wheel on  :o
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Pics if possible.  Maybe it will cause all of us to get rid of them!

Actually, curious to see it & try to determine where the forces in the axle transmit through the fork legs in comparison to your break.  At least forks seem to be fairly readily available.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:o Yer bugger, you had me going there...Had "vision's" of you ridin'...cruiser style, with yer leg's sticking out in front ::) ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

louthepou

Hmm. Really wonder how that happened.

Got a spare?

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Night Vision

I'll try to get a picture of it and post it up..

I was not planning on using this set of legs, but now I won't have a spare... oh well
;D

motoracer8

Sombody overtitend the pinch bolt, I've seen other forks broken or cracked in this area from over titening. 16 to 18 ft lbs for a 8mm bolt.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Night Vision

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tightened it too much.....
....or if  "someone"  ::) went the wrong way on the bolt when I said I wanted to take the front wheel off..

the other bad thing about the "exercise" was front axle did not want to come out. stuck pretty good. you could tap the axle with a hammer, and the axle would go right back to the same place. like it was on a spring.

the good thing is the wheel and axle are off. I'll replace the wheel bearings before I put that wheel and rotor into service. 
;D