News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

muffler questions

Started by thekid, April 01, 2007, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekid

Anyone know where I can find some pipes to fit where the stock cans are welded on my vis? I am making her into a sort of street tracker/cafe racer/rat bike since a (mild) collision with a car bent my front forks and thrashed my fairings. I would like something slash cut and chrome, pref. not megaphone shaped but instead the same diameter front& back. close to the stock muffler length would be ideal so I could weld the brackets on where they bolt to the footpegs. Also, I want to go baffle free if possible, I ride with a bunch of cruiser guys (kawie mean streak, honda vtx, yamaha vstar) so I won't mind the noise and neither will they. ;) Will this cause me problems? and if so, how do I alleviate them? jetting needed? or will I be able to run the bike with open pipes like that? Thanks for any help/info. I will try to post pics when she is road ready again. probably some time in april!!
Ride It Like You Stole It!

kwells

Mac exhaust is probably the closest do a pre-designed system as you can come to that type of exhaust...with no baffle material...it is as loud as any loud bike...
or can go with just a straight pipe that you make...will probably lose your backpressure and some low end power though
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

louthepou

Hi Thekid, welcome to the club,

Those noisy, heavy cruisers are not baffle-less, they just have noisy baffles. If you were to ride a bike with no baffle whatsoever, you'd be deaf.Unless your buddies took the pipes guts out; in which case, performance isn't that much better; power spread may be different, but for sure, they just annoy folks around more than anything else.

As kwells said, MACs are a good repalcement. Going full hand-made would be interesting, but cost would go up. Fiding a used set of MACs, stripping them, having a pro shop chrome them, then modifying the stock baffles so they are less restictive would be a solution for you. (Some of us here did the baffle mod, if I'm not mistaken).

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your progress,

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

thekid

after I posted this, I went to lucky's site and saw that he had an article there about some pep boys exhaust extensions that would fit with minimum mods. however I cant find them on the pep boys site or by searching for them by name. They're called " superior exhaust extensions" and they come in two sizes, 18" and 24". parts numbers 29-9341  and 29-9351 respectively. anyone have a link or know anyone who carries these? We don't have pep boys here on Cape Cod, and auto-zone is a poor substitute.
      As far as backpressure goes, I have heard mixed messages. some say that you want as much air flow as possible carrying exhaust gasses away, and some say you need a certain degree of back- pressure to acheive max results. I just know that my stock exhaust is on its way out, and I'd like to do some straight pipes (with minimum fabrication work) for that old school rat bike feel. braap pap pap pap!

Night Vision

if I had to guess, I'd think the macs are the best way for you to go...
no muss, no fuss, lots of braaappp
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on April 01, 2007, 09:30:34 PM
.....no muss, no fuss, lots of braaappp

LOTS of BRRRAPPPP BRRRAPPP.  So much in fact that my dog now hides in the bathroom whenever I start my bike.  Thats a serious problem seeing as how much my dog HATES the bathroom.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

I've heard that when cruising down the street @ around 5K RPM with the MACs, you can set off car alarms.  Should be plenty of BRRRRRRRRRRRAAPPPPPPP!!

Personally, I prefer stealth technology.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

thekid

anyone got a mac system for sale? I know i can get one for under $300 brand new, but if anyone can offer me a deal on a used set...... ::)

The Prophet of Doom

My V sets car alarms off at idle.

:-[

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on April 02, 2007, 03:16:22 AM
My V sets car alarms off at idle.

:-[

Oh yeah...  well my V sets off car alarms while its sitting parked. ;D  ;D  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

that was an old page on my site..i don't have a Pepboys convienently located anymore to check..
Hey Kid, did you know that our host Ron, is on the Cape too?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

thekid

I had no idea!! I figured I probably had the only working Vision on Cape Cod!!  I've never seen him out riding or at any of the bike blessings/ poker runs or rides I've been on. That's crazy. :D
     anyway, back to the bike, will I need to jet the carbs at all with the mac system? will I get any difference in performance, good or bad?

Lucky

no jetting needed, my bike feels faster & peppier than before, but that may just be due to a lack of holes in the pipes  :o
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

;) Sent you a P.M... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

tk - I sent you a pm too
;D

thekid

:oOOO :o I Can't wait!!!! 8)

Night Vision

;D

Tiger

:-[ My pleasure...Three happy Visionaries 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!