adjusting carbs on new engine

Started by Don Minor, September 20, 2004, 06:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Minor

>:( I had to replace my engine.The old one couldn't take a missed shift @10k.
   I put the new engine in and serviced all fluids. It started, with alot of cranking. I tried to sync the carbs with no luck. the yics chamber was leaking pretty bad. Fix 2 of them,just in case. A really good idea because only 1 sealed up and held. now I have the carbs synced,but it a bear to start. Can anyone tell me how to set the pilots to goet this thing to start.
   I have both pilots set @3.5 turns. The bike idles @1300 rpm, but when I rev it up it is slow to return to idle(2-3 sec.)
   I have adjusted everything else and I'm going to take the little "v" out for a ride. I hope I don't have to turn it off because of the way it starts. I know you guys can help.
Don

Extent

Well the way I know to adjust the pilot screws that Lucky has described before is to turn them in till the engine stumbles, then turn them out and count the number of turns till it stumbles again, then turn them half way between the two points and an aditional 1/8 of a turn in.

When I put mine together after diping the carbs I ended up doing it a little differently by a way I read about elsewhere on the 'net.  I adjusted each screw to the point of highest idle (which I assume in essence is the same thing as the previous method), then I adjusted the idle speed screw to bring that down to the speed it's supposed to be (1300RPM) then I synced the carbs and readjusted the idle speed a final time.  

Slow return to idle from what I've read is mainly attributed to bad sync, tho when I had the pilot screws set wrong it certainly did it as well.  I don't know what my final adjustment ended up w/ the number of turns, I'll have to check it out when I get home, 3.5 turns should set you good enough to start from tho.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.