Rams Horn Grade and Fiddletown Rd. late fall ride

Started by VisionMeister, December 07, 2006, 09:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

The weather has been clear and in the mid 60's, so Tuesday I threw in the towel on the remodel work and fired up the 82 vision. Rick my neighbor joined me with his 99 Buell.
Down to Volcano, where the CROV  had the prime rib dinner at the Union Hotel. The road was damp because of its northern ridge exposure. Had to be careful using the front brake and turning in on this steep downgrade.
Ram's Horn though was mostly dry and sunny with good visibility to the turns, so even the damp areas were not a problem. Fun, full lean 2nd and 3rd gear full throttle, on camber uphill switchbacks. Just what I needed !
Rick hang back with the Buell because he's not very aggressive and didn't know the road. The sound always let's you know he's not that far back though.
Cut back on Shake Ridge Road to Hale Road which we took north to Fiddletown Road. Hale is a one laner with decent pavement and great scenery. Up over one ridge, down across a stream crossing (no bridge) and up over a second ridge to go back down to the Fiddletown Rd.
Planned to ride Fiddletown Rd. toward the East so the Sun wouldn't be in our eyes. First three to four miles was damp and shady  but then we gained enough elevation to be up on the ridge in the sun. Lot's of flowing sweepers with a few trick decreasing radius 270 degree turns to test your ground clearance and reactions. We were gaining more elevation and the day was getting later so the temperature was dropping quickly. Even though we are in the sun it is probably low 50's here.
Returned to Volcano via Ram's Horn Grade in the downhill direction but had to follow some local four wheelers.
Took Volcano/ Pioneer road back up to Hwy 88. It was late and cold and this stretch of uphill had been sanded for ice in some areas. At least we didn't have to follow the four wheelers.
At 88 Rick grabbed the lead. He knew where he was now and the road is clear, wide and smooth. The Buell torques away into the lead. Even redlining the gears there is nothing the Vision can do. We hit some passing lanes and go through some 60-80 mph sweepers before we hit the turn to home.
As we approach our turnoff we can see out accross the Central Valley. The sun is about half below the horizon. The sky is purple and it is getting cold. We're done.
It was about as good as it gets for this time of year, 12-05-06.

h2olawyer

Great write-up & great ride!  I'm jealous.   :(

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

motoracer8

I belong to a vintage British bike group, and we ride that area at least twice a year. We start on Latrobe rd. & Hwy.50 Back to Salmon falls rd, to pilot hill, turn right on hwy 49 to Marshall rd. to George town, then on to Rock rd. rt. on Mosquito ridge rd. to Placerville, then to bucks bar rd. Now your on the So side of Hwy. 50 and into the area you are talking about, Volcano is generaly a lunch stop. There are alot of great motorcycle roads in that area. Mabe I'll see ya on the road sometime. I ride a black 83 Vision with no farring, or if you see a group of old British iron, I may be with them.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

supervision

Ken, have you ever ridden Ice House road?  It start's off 50 and goes to Loon Lake (the start area of the Rubicon Trail)  that's one cool road.  Both VMiester a I have been rideing that area, he's been living up their for 10 yrs. before that we both  lived in Turlock, we've ridden for years in the Sierra's.   Today I did a test ride on some mods I been doing to my forks, I went to Hornitas, Bear valley, Coultervile, La Grange then home.   I raced Hangtown when it was held at Plymouth.   what area are you from?  sv
" border="0

Coil Coyle

VMeister,
              Thanks for the ride report, I needed that. I'm the last guy in the shop to get this years cold. Soon as it breaks I'm gonna
go for a ride, too.

I also note that you kindly grant that your riding buddy's Buell can easily pull away... when the road straightens out! 
;D
Coil

motoracer8

SV, I've ridden on most of the roads in the Sierras at one time or the another over the years. Yes on ice house road. My British bike groupe will be out in the area 5/12, I can't say excatly where as the course hasen't been layed out yet. I live in Folsom so I'm close to the start. Do you remember when the Hangtown event was in Placerville ? Thats where it started and got it's name, it was just a sportsman event put on by the Dirt Diggers in the beginning, then it moved to Plymouth, then to it's current location. I have ridden events at all three locations. The current location used to be called the Mcgill cycle park, the property was leased from Aero Jet by Harry Mcgill before the state took it over.

Ken G.

supervision

Yes , I had been told that it had started over in Placerville, but I rode it in Plymouth.  I raced sportman expert on a 125 penton about 1971, 1972.  I never cared for the dirt at Mcgill's. I also raced at Helvicia (sp?) Park one time,  boy was it hot!   How did the show go?  I rode out to the Junction up in Del Puerto canyon, and a guy came up and said he had just come from there, are you showing anything 5/5 at that fancy show?   dave sv
" border="0

motoracer8

SV, I took two bikes to the Clubman show, one won a 1st place, the other one got a 2nd. I ride all of my bikes, no trailer queens. The machines that will be at the Ledgend of the motorcycle concours are way out of my class, Truely exotic and rare machines. I have refinished and respoked many of the wheels on bikes you see in the shows. The last pair I did were for a Norton Manx, that will be in the concours on 5/5, a stunning motorcycle that will probbaly never see a race track again, It's value somewhere in the area of $60,000. If it were mine, I'd ride it.

Ken G.

supervision

Yea ken that show is pretty special, they want 50 bucks just to spectate.  Visionmiester and I might go cause a friend is showing a Triumph flat tracker he buildt.  I noticed your bike, a Yama mini enduro 60 at the Donner show pictures on the VJM . I liked that show awhile back for jap stuff.  I went up their and went on the Sat afternoon blast up the old Donner pass road on my cb77, what fun.   Also hereing  a CBX with six unmuffeled megaphones running in the parking  lot on Sun, was perfect thing to wake up to!  sv
" border="0

motoracer8

SV, have you been to the VJMC show lately? It's been several years sence it's been at Squaw valley. It was at the fair grounds in Auburn last year, and it will be again at Auburn this year, 7/21&22. I had several of my machines in the show last year, including that JT1, a CB77, a S90, a AT2, and my Vision. The club members that are close should go, I have seen two Visions in the parking lot, and mine in the show, are the only ones I've seen in the 15 years I've been going. The Auburn fair grounds is the best location the VJMC has had. Lots of trees, and grass.

Ken G.

Brian Moffet

motoracer8

That is correct, Auburn Ca. Last year we had about 70 bikes in the show, and a pretty good swap meet. If you are close you should go to support  the club, as we need to hang onto this location.

Ken G.

Brian Moffet

Hmm, only 20 minutes from where my parents live (4 hours or so from where I live (at least by roads, only 1 hour by plane))

Brian

motoracer8

Brian, Auburn has an airport for small aircraft.

Ken G.

supervision

Probably about five years ago Visionmiester and I rode our Visions to Squaw, before that I had been attending the two years before with my wife and swap meet pieces.  I didn't go to any of the years they were at the other site up their, but I went one year out at Lathrop, Moss landing.  I bet Auburn is a good location, I know that fairgrounds from racing MX? and watching speedway races , Dave SV
" border="0

Brian Moffet

Yup, I know about the airport. I fly in there on occasion to visit my parents.  I like how it has a lip at the end to launch you off the runway if you're not flying by then...

Brian

motoracer8

Dave, You and I probbaly ran across each other at the races, as I use to go to the same tracks you mention. Do you remember Carl Cranke, Dave Longcore, Brad Lackey, Danny Chandler, I could mention a few others you would reconize. I rode mostly Yamahas back then, sometimes a BSA, or at the nationals, one of Carl's CZ's My D36 no. was 2J, my pro no. Was 30, My name is Ken Gerard. Hope to see you on the road sometime. I would like to put an eye ball on you sometime to see if I remember you. You know! Us old MC racers only have 1 or 2 brain cells left.

Ken G.

supervision

Your right Ken, I probably recognize you if I saw you, it's for shore we been hanging out at the races for awhile!  Wouldn't have it any other way!  It's even possible that the two Vision's you saw were Vmiester and I.. My # was 59V  I was 107V for novice and amature.  I rode on Import Cycles race team, a shop in Keyes, Ca.  They sold Hodaka, Ossa, Montesa, and Penton,  The Owner's were ,the Mac Danald's , reel cool people, their son Neil Mac Danald was one of our rider's  Roy Winter's, Larrry Dunnagan, Roddney Halstead, Butch Davidson, Teddy (Torco) Davidson.  I make myself not race these day's, it's so tempting to get out their, butt I do still go to events as often as possible just to hang out and enjoy the group and the machinery. I do ride quite a bit on my xr200, enjoying small jump tracks and TT style riding.  This keeps me calmed down enough so I can stand to ride slow on the street, no sence in putting to much on the line on the road at this stage of the game.   Some of my freind's now day's have this 20x40 tent that they sent up at Hollister ever year, about 100 yards behinde the  starting gate. D&D  Bike barn, Big party, very colorfull group, You know who I mean? sV
" border="0

motoracer8

Yes, and I've been to Hollister many times, as I have been riding AHRMA events sence 92, I don't race as much as I use to, but I still ride the classic/premier events that Mann puts on. I try not to race with the kids anymore. My number is 8X, I ride a Cheney BSA, or a Honda SL125, And I usally have a Torco easy up.

Ken G.

fiddlesticks

OMG Fiddletown Rd. When the hell did they name a town and a road after me.  ;D And I didnt even get to break a bottle of champagne over anything. ;)
Fiddle
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"