News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

YICS

Started by inanecathode, April 15, 2007, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Or YCIS? YSIC?...

What IS this device i keep hearing about anyway, other than a pretty trianglular box with hoses?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

YICS:

"The patented YICS (Yamaha Induction Control System), designed to improve combustion and increase fuel economy, is standard equipment, along with downdraft, automotive-style carburetors."

Copied from the Haynes manual.

Basically, it creates a swirl in the combustion chamber, using a charge of fuel / air mix.  The performance gain is minimal, but felt generally in the lower revs - mainly a "seat of the pants" feel.

The box is highly prone to leaks - both internal & external.  A leaking YICS causes a myriad of problems, most notably a hunting idle & enhanced stumbles.  The box is repairable and reckon is working on a better quality replacement.  I've had good results with the 2 I've repaired but it is kind of tricky to get everything sealed right.

The hoses can weaken with age & tend to collapse as the vacuum pulls the charge through.  They should be replaced with fuel injection hose.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.