anyone looking for a side car ?

Started by kiawrench, April 01, 2007, 09:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

i found a sidecar company that uses a mount system we can configure quickly to Visions, i had this post up earlier, but it got all messed up when i edited it. so here is the post update.

www.scooter99.com is a company that builds sidecars and the dress up kits for vespa company. the sidecars are small, lightweight, and use a two point mounting system( center stand mount for rear , upper frame brace and bolt on for front)

max weight 190 lb load
dry weight is 170 lbs with brake kit
shipped in choice of completion, allowing lower cost based on your requested completion
  dress up kits allow for multiple configurations.

new from the factory 4200.00
  found on e-bay for 200.00 serveral times over last 3 weeks .

i have bought one, and once done, am sure one or more others will too as it gives us the option of building hacks to fit our bikes.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kiawrench

still looking for the elusive "right "sidecar hack unit.
once i get one located i can pay for, am going to convert one of my two running visions into a hack.
    ok, post update- gave up on buying a sidecar, too much involved in making it work right.
so i did the next best thing, i talked to owner of nearby bike shop, he has a dnepr M11 police patrol bike,  factory bike/sidecar set up, 2004, 650 engine,reverse gear and ability to engage sidecar wheel as a driven wheel on the fly(as opposed to ural,which has to be stopped and engine off to engage drive sprocket) designed as a sidecar bike, complete with trailing link front end already on the bike. he bought it used last year and cant stand it. we are in negotiations on price, but so far it looks like i can get it for under 2k.  he says "it flys the sidecar too easy on left hand turns"  i think he is trying to ride the thing like a bike- a sidecar bike is driven differently than a regular bike. 
    here is what he has
650 bike ,designed on old bmw boxer engine
single passenger sidecar with drum brake
drve wheel kit
reverse gear(see sarter similar to gold wing rev gear kit)
spare tire for sidecar on rear mount rack
winshield, rain cover and frame (also used for cold weather passenger comfort)
factory tool kit with shovel and jack
bub exhaust with adjustable baffles
electric start( also acts as reverse gearing )
in tank glove /document box
5 gal capacity
behind seat storage , holds tools, a small cooler, rain top ,bike cover and still room for helmets

should i push him to sell, or pass this one up?  anyone have exp with these ural/dnepr bikes?
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Was looking at Urals last year.  The only thing I know is that the 650 engine had some sort of oil issue.  There is a larger oil pan that cures the problem.  Don't remember exactly what the issue is.  There are Urals, Dneprs & the same bike made in China.  All are ripoffs of late 1930s BMWs.  Very simple to work on, durable and there's a pretty good parts supply in the US.  They do show the typical russian sledgehammer approach to fit & finish, though.  You can also get a higher outout alternator & the battery is a large unit, located in the side car.

The two wheel drive option would be nice where we have winter.  Also supposed to be good on rough roads / trails.  Didn't know the extra wheel drive couldn't be selected on the fly on Urals.  Top speed isn't great & might have kind of a severe pucker factor when approaching it.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

waiting on wifey type person to decide if i deserve it,, she is still miffed over my working on my v without doctor release,

did take it out on th eroad for a test drive,, and drive is exactly it,, that thing will work you out on a city drive,turning right isnt so bad, but a left requires every ounce of stregth i can muster, but goosing it a bit in th eturn helps some.  have to do some more talking to long time riders of hacks, see about this .

h2olawyer

There are courses for driving sidecar equipped bikes.  I think you can find a listing of them on the ABATE site.  I know its quite a bit different that two wheels.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

looks like i am going to have to wait a while on the hack, wife keeps pointing out fact that i am not bringing in any funds right now, until mid may-- doc wont release me for work until then.
   once i get back to work, will have to see if i can keep my job too, not many problems with neck, just that learning curve on what i can and cant do. will have to see.
  any way it goes, i am going to try and be the owner of the unit by summer.

tailwheel

Hi guys!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. We are thinking of buying a Hannigan side car for my BMW LT. We don't get to take our son on our trips so we figure the side car will change that. I figure with the power outlet we could hook up a small DVD player and he would be good for a few hundred miles! We have talked about making the Vision our side car bike but when we were at Daytona I almost bought the LT one on the spot. They say that it can be attached or detached in 20 min so I can use it for my normal commute during the week. Some say that side cars should be on a dedicated bike but I think this setup will be our best bet. The only fear I have is that Patti will start using my bike with the side car as her daily commuter!
Dave
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

kwells

Im thinking about a sidecar for my 2 dogs...
doggles yo doggles
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com