News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

any info on sandblaster?

Started by GT @ oh., April 14, 2007, 04:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

I'm looking to get a sandblast unit to remove rust from trucks,mower,camper,etc.   What should I be looking for as far as specs and prices.Seen some siphon types for under $100 but seen pressurized units just over $100 which is better?

supervision

Both work, key thing is air supply. Small compressor means short blast time, then waiting. 
" border="0

Lead_Deficiency

I've got a syphon sand blaster, better have a good air dryer on the compressor because the moisture will cause the sand to clog in the nozzle.
It's a 5 horse compressor and the blaster will make that puppy work.

kiawrench

super--- sandblasters are great, if you have proper protection, not only for eyes, but also for your lungs! ( as well as a heavy set of clothes while working. )
sand blasting , ,with typical bag of sand from local supplier, can lead to something called silicosis,, (definate lung damage due to breathing in small particles of sand/silicon during blasting.  be safe once you decide which to buy,,

my personal favorite, a small booth built for the job, (four posts and a canvas on 3 sides, ,a respirator, full coverage to body and a siphon feed gun .if you create a floor inside the booth, you can recover and screen the medium you chose to use, and some products will last you for years .

i have al.oxide in 400 grit, for etching work, and super fine black beauty ,for metal work. can get at local welding supply store, or a regular industrial supply store, like grainger. both are more expensive than sand, but then , the gun tip and medium last almost forever ,if properly recovered and reused .

one thing, dont buy a cheap gun set, if you are going to do it , spend the extra 20.00 and get a good unit

my 2 cents: grainger supply, grainger supply co, industrial siphon feed sand blast with ceramic tips(has two sizes in the package)
general use medium--- super fine sand
metal work/restoration - black beauty , super fine
glass or plastics etching- aluminum oxide 400 grit
super fine work - finish blast with walnut shells or glass beads (micro fine finish )

all medium available through grainger also ,10 or 50 lb bags .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .