News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Vision Advise Needed

Started by Mashby, September 17, 2004, 10:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashby

Hi All
Need some advise on Farings and Exhausts.
Can an 83 Fairing fit an 82?
Are there any new fairings availble that will fit a vision (small sports fairing)
My Exhaust system is in good shap the mufflers well welded about a year ago but they dont look all that great can you get an aftermarket muffler that would just bolt onto the original Exhaust?
How often to the lower handlerbars come up for sale?
Last one does the speedo/rev counter units come often or id there an aftermarket one that will fir.My rev counter is well and truly broken.

Thanks Loads

h2olawyer

Hi Mashby -

The 83 fairing will fit the 82 but you will need to change the handlebar risers to the shorter ones that came stock on 83s.  The lower handlebar risers are very rare.  If you're lucky, you can get some with the 83 fairing off a bike someone is parting out.

Rifle still makes a fairing that will fit - it is a little expensive, though.  Best bet is ebay.  Yamaha made a couple fairings for the 82 Vision and Vetter made one called the Quicksilver - fairly rare but good protection.  Toughest part is finding the correct mounting bracket for the Vetter.

There are no bolt on muffler replacements available.  You would either need to find originals in better condition or get a set of MACs or a Predator system.

The speedo / tachometer units do come up for sale on ebay every so often, and someone here may have a spare tach unit or entire set they would part with.

Good Luck with your Vision!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

wolfman

YES the 83' Fairing WILL fit an 82' provided you have all the "stays" or mounting brackets AND the MIRRORS and wiring harness "extention" and as mentioned you'll need the shorter handle bar risers as well.  Keep checking EBay, they appear every few weks but unfortuantely many "recyclers" sell the parts individually.  I have an upper fairing large mount and the wiring harness extension in you need it.  I can also put my hands on the left side LOWER fairing stay with oil fill tube extension, small "U" shaped upper fairing bracket and a set of the short handle bar risers at a local salvage yard if you run out of options.  Keep in mind though I have NO control over their prices, but I KNOW the parts are there.  The same yard also has SEVERAL complete chrome and "black chrome" exhausts as well.  I believe I can get a complete exhaust of either type (his will nclude the mufflers, pipes and literally every nut, bolt and screw) for around $150-$200, but I'll need to check back with them if you like to be sure on the PRICE- not the availablity.  Others on this board may have other parts to offer up as well.  Keep in mind when shopping for the 83' fairing that you MUST have the Mirrors for the fairing!  They are what secure the fairing to the mount at the highest points.  There is/was a small handlebar mounted "Shark" fairing from Yamaha offered for the 82' as well.  They also show up on EBay from time to time and require a much smaller list of "must haves" to mount to your bike.

jasonm.

I have a quicksilver on my '82. Great fairing, found new with the mount 3 years ago. See the pic in the Gallery.Yes, the mount is very hard to find for a bike that was only made 1 year naked. The only thing bad was the headlight. It is a larger rectangular size and low wattage. I put in a quartz Hella. WOW>>>
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules