News:

Main Menu

R/R TCI question

Started by munkyfistfight, April 10, 2007, 07:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

Ok, it's been a while. No internet, but so much free time to work on the V. Almost done. I have the carbs almost all back together and cleaned.

Anyways, I have a R/R and 2 TCI units. Is it possible to take these parts to a motorcycle/auto parts store to have them tested to see which one I should use and if the R/R is in good shape? I don't have any electrical testing equipment and I also don't have a battery yet. I want to get everything reattatched to the bike before I start trying to make her run.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

YellowJacket!

A decent multimeter costs less than 30.00 and you are gonna need abattery anyway.  I thing I got my multimeter, a digital one, from Radio Shack for 19.99.
My guess is that a shop is gonna charge you quite a bit to test it.

Or, How close are you to Knoxville?  Nevermind...I googled it and you are just north of Atlanta or a 3.5 hr drive from Me and Lucky.  One of us,  if you want to take a drive up here (more than likely me since I don't want to jinx Lucky's bike) could hook it up to ours and test it.  Or, you can just mail them up here and I can try it out.

Free burgers at my place if you decide to.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

munkyfistfight

Haha, I'd love to hit you up for burgers sometime. I actually pass through Knoxville on my trek to Pittsburgh. Perhaps I'll just tough it out and buy a multimeter if they really are that cheap.

What kind of battery am I looking for anyways?

;D
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

h2olawyer

The battery size is a YB14L-A2 (Yuasa #).  I've had Exide, Champion, Yuasa, Batteries Plus & an Interstate.  The Interstate is currently in my Silver V.  It is a sealed, maintenance free battery.  Had it for two years.  Lives hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr.  Still very strong.  The Batteries Plus was purchased in late March for the Pumpkin project.  I got a second Battery Tender Jr. for it as well.  The Battery Tender is highly recommended to keep your battery fully charged at all times.  Should make any battery last much longer by preventing sulfaction.

The choice is entirely up to you & your budget.  Batteries from Wal-Mart work well.  They run about $40.  The Batteries Plus I just bought was $45.  The Interstate was closer to $70.  A Yuasa is around $50 or so.  The Champion I had lasted a year - but I didn't have the tender hooked to it so it died prematurely.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Here is some info on a recently purchased Walmart battery...

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=6351.0

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Multimeters are brilliant man, they're useful for EVERYTHING short of making julien fries. Wonder if that circuit is actually working, maybe it's the switch? Throw on your handy dandy multimeter and all your mysteries are solved!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

munkyfistfight

Wow, very helpful information. I'll be purchasing said equipment as soon as I'm done paying "the man".
Thanks for all the help though guys.