News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

My Crashed '83, and the '82 parts bike LOTS OF PICTURES

Started by ProfessorRex, April 28, 2007, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorRex

I finally got my '83 back on Friday, so here's some photos with captions of her and her '82 organ donor friend that Mark in Opelousas gave me.  Enjoy. (as most of you know, I was hit on my bike by a car last October...etc...etc)

I wont be using everything that I've acquired, so lots of parts will be available once I figure out exactly what I need.  Feel free to ask if you see something you want, or ask even if you don't see it, I've got a whole box of various stuff that didn't make it into the photos.

THE '83 (captions below each picture)

- Broken but still a beauty.  The fairing frame appears to be bent, maybe broken, not sure yet.  The radiator was punctured.  Frame, and forks appear to be OK.

- Cracked the side case, and the block itself.... ouch my leg

- Left Side View, tank dented but not leaking, bent shifter, bent footpeg, broken fairing mount, obviously missing faring piece

- Right Rear, look at the mangled exhaust!, NO RUST! what a shame!  Also notice the shattered aluminum peg mount, that guy hit me hard! Bent brake pedal, bent foot pegs.

THE '82

- Rust, dust corrosion, all soon to be goners.

- Fork brace, brand new tires, and stainless '82 brake line.

- Engine, check; bulk pack of aluminum polish, check; elbow grease, check.

- Fairing pieces, additional tank, SHARK FAIRING w/mounts (but no glass) and my Portuguese Water Dog "Sugar".

- SHARK FAIRING

- There are lots of NOS pieces like this fairing leg vent.  Brake lines, clutch cable, OEM NOS '83 Sticker Kit!

- The nicer of the two '82 tanks on the parts bike, in good shape, small dent on the side.

- Very little rust!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

looks like everything you need to get back on the road, just add time   :)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

packman85

Looks like a project, just add time and it will be like new.

Was wondering about the exhaust on the donor bike, is it a mac?  Either way, if its solid, just surface rust, and youre not going to use it, Im interested.  Also, the shark fairing, im interested in that as well, Thanks, let me know if you could.
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Tiger

8) Meester, how mooch for zee pooch...U take top $$$ for doggy, eh ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D...  ;)
8) Great to see you have the part's to re-build your "V"...elbow grease and time are the two biggest element's your going to need. Those MAC's on the donor "V" will clean up really well...have them bead/sand blasted, inside and out, then repaint with a good high heat paint, they will look as good as new.
BTW...How is your healing process going ??? ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

MotorPlow

PR,
I am looking for Fairing Mirrors. Got any extras?
(Oh, and I am also looking for a Tachometer. Got one 'o those? - I was just out bid on eBad.)

~MotorPlow

munkyfistfight

Anyone got a Front Brake Master Cylinder? The one I bought was rusted through pretty badly.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

YellowJacket!

Quote from: MotorPlow on April 29, 2007, 09:45:12 AM
PR,
I am looking for Fairing Mirrors. Got any extras?
(Oh, and I am also looking for a Tachometer. Got one 'o those? - I was just out bid on eBad.)

~MotorPlow

I may have one from when I rebuilt mine.  I'll check and then PM you.

David

Update: Got One.  ;D  Check your PM's

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Quote from: munkyfistfight on April 29, 2007, 05:09:53 PM
Anyone got a Front Brake Master Cylinder? The one I bought was rusted through pretty badly.

nope, & i just sold the rear one...

(sorry, i know that doesn't help, but i couldn't resist...)

Kevin

If the only crack on the motor is at the bolt boss in the picture, that is very repairable. 

inanecathode

Quote from: Kevin on April 29, 2007, 09:53:18 PM
If the only crack on the motor is at the bolt boss in the picture, that is very repairable. 

Look up and to the left of that crack in the middle, theres a chunk coming out of the block :(
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ProfessorRex

packman, I don't think I can repair the original '83 exhaust (darn shame! they are rust free!) so I will be using the macs.

Tiger, ONE MILLION DOLLARS for the dog! or if you you catch me after she poops in my kitchen again I'll pay you!  And I'm healing slowly but surely, thanks for asking.

MotorP, no dice on fairing mirrors, two on the original are broken, and only two came with the parts bike.  If I come across one in any of my boxes o' goodies you'll be the first to know.  I have an extra tac, PM me if you still need it.

Monkey, the master cyl on the parts bike won't be needed, I'm not sure of it's condition.  I'll check tom, PM me if you need it.

Kevin, I don't think the damage is repairable, my plan is to dissect both motors and put the block and side cover from the parts bike with the internals and everything else from the '83.  If the big chip is repairable, please let me know how.  It'd save me SERIOUS time!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Brian Moffet

If you have and are willing to give up a gold headlight ring, let me know. Mine's in bad shape (corroded and such.)  But, only if you really don't need it. I'd rather see it back on your bike, and you riding again.

Brian

ProfessorRex

Brian, as of right now I'm keeping it.  If that changes I'll let you know.

On another note, I've spent some time looking at the crack in the crank case, and I really do think it's repairable.  I might be back on the road sooner than I thought!

Coil Coyle

Quote from: ProfessorRex on April 30, 2007, 01:08:31 AM
On another note, I've spent some time looking at the crack in the crank case, and I really do think it's repairable.  I might be back on the road sooner than I thought!

Crankcase cracks can be repaired with Epoxy Putty. I've done several. Coarse abrasive on the beveled edges of the break and clean, clean.

$0.02
;)
Coil

MotorPlow

Quote from: ProfessorRex on April 30, 2007, 12:16:10 AM
MotorP, no dice on fairing mirrors, two on the original are broken, and only two came with the parts bike.  If I come across one in any of my boxes o' goodies you'll be the first to know.  I have an extra tac, PM me if you still need it.

Thanx, I appreciate it.

ProfessorRex

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on April 30, 2007, 03:08:24 AM
Crankcase cracks can be repaired with Epoxy Putty. I've done several. Coarse abrasive on the beveled edges of the break and clean, clean.

Yep, I'm thinking a little JB-Weld and all should be good to go.

Kevin, Thanks for suggesting that I try to repair it.  I was all set to pull the engine apart and all kinds of non-sense.  I hadn't even given repair a thought!

Night Vision

for whatever it's worth: I saw this infomercial on TV a couple of months ago that had these "welding sticks"

basically, they were applied like solder: heating the part to be repaired with a propane torch and adding this material that came in a stick form. you could then grind it or tap it....

one of the demos showed repairing a hole in a canoe so I guess it works on aluminum too... don't see many cast iron or sheet metal canoes...

I wasn't going to mention it because it's a little pricey... but you seem pretty set on repairing the case so I thought I'd throw this out there

http://durafix.com/
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

BREWSKI

RE: JB weld, I had occasion to call them with a tech question about heat resistance.Their answer 600deg<fyi  Brewski....
GEORGE BATES

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on April 30, 2007, 06:51:18 PM
for whatever it's worth: I saw this infomercial on TV a couple of months ago that had these "welding sticks"

basically, they were applied like solder: heating the part to be repaired with a propane torch and adding this material that came in a stick form. you could then grind it or tap it....

one of the demos showed repairing a hole in a canoe so I guess it works on aluminum too... don't see many cast iron or sheet metal canoes...

I wasn't going to mention it because it's a little pricey... but you seem pretty set on repairing the case so I thought I'd throw this out there

http://durafix.com/

I'd be a bit leery about some of it melting into the case and gumming something up.

just my 0.02

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

i'm more worried about bits of the case from the crash in there...