News:

Main Menu

Water cooling the stator?

Started by Glyn, May 03, 2007, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Would it be possible to mod a small alloy box over the stator cover and to plug it into the vee's water cooling system? Looking at the end of the cover it is about 15 cm in diam. I would think to a decent weld shop it should not be a large job, Of course if the running water temp gets hotter than the stator case it would make matters worse. It would involve a bit of plumbing and prob an air bleed to make sure no air locks got in the area etc. Or has someone already done this?

supervision

I have mentioned it before but no one has gone to the trouble.  I think the water temp is much cooler than the present stator case.   I think it was Ron that said their are GM alternator's with this.  I agree that it doesn,t require all that much, could the entire end of the case become a jacket?
" border="0

Glyn

Looking at the case and all the screw attachments it could be tricky extending any casing too far from the end of the case. The heat would get drawn towards the cooler area anyway. I've decided to take a spare motor case and fashion a number of alloy strips to act as a heat sink effect. The end result when all the strips are welded to the case will look like a mini version of an air cooled 2 stroke cylinder. Bought the metal today 2.5 metres of 6mm* 40mm strip. Should be sufficient. Got a great weld shop nearby to do the final weld when all the strips are complete. I was wondering if it would be better (for heat loss) to paint the finished job in high heat black paint or leave bare alloy?

supervision

finning the case can't hurt, maybe it's enough to make the difference.  I have heard that black is the best,  my R/R  is black, all my air cooled 2 strokes are black.  If it proved to be benifical, it would be easy to like whatever it looked like!  go for it, that's a great idea
" border="0