News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

My Crashed '83, and the '82 parts bike LOTS OF PICTURES

Started by ProfessorRex, April 28, 2007, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Prof', if your interested, I can send you a couple of rod's to do the repair. They are made for repairing engine block's, cylinder head's, transmission case's, all sorts of aluminum equipment... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ProfessorRex

I've worked with brazing rods before, and it's definitely the best method.  The problem is I have no use for 50 rods of the stuff, I need 1/10 of one stick MAX so I'm not going that way.  JB weld is an incredible product, welding uses heat and welding rod to create a molecular bond between two pieces of metal; JB weld creates a chemical bond that is surprisingly strong.  I've worked with it before and have always been impressed.

Quote from: DaveTN on April 30, 2007, 07:46:39 PM
I'd be a bit leery about some of it melting into the case and gumming something up.

The working temp for that particular alloy rod is near 750*!  If my vision side cases get that hot I think I'll be in serious trouble LONG before any potential weld!  The melt temp for fully cured JB weld is over 600* again, I'd have trouble long before the JB weld failed!

Quote from: Lucky on April 30, 2007, 08:18:42 PM
i'm more worried about bits of the case from the crash in there...

I will be pulling the side cover off and very carefully checking everything.  If it turns out unrepairable, I can always swap the crank case from the spare engine. 

Thankfully I won't loose anything by trying to fix it.  As it sits right now the crankcase is tanked.  If the repair works super, if not it's still tanked.  No worries.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

ProfessorRex

Quote from: Tiger on April 30, 2007, 08:39:53 PM
:) Prof', if your interested, I can send you a couple of rod's to do the repair. They are made for repairing engine block's, cylinder head's, transmission case's, all sorts of aluminum equipment... 8)

Well, while I was typing my guardian angel Tiger came through!  I may take you up on that offer, I'll have time to get the side cover off on Wed. and evaluate further then. THANKS!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

Rex, if the engine is toast i might be interested in it to do the 'cut-away' engine i talked about last winter.

hey i was going to take a trip down there anyway to get your bike from Mark before i decided to give it to you anyway...one of you guys owes me an authentic Cajun meal, lol

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Well lucky, I will definitely have A LOT of extra parts lying around after all is said and done.  I'm sure I'll have everything you'd need for a cutaway engine.  I'll know by the end of the week what I'm using and what I'm not.

Scott_Mc

Professor Rex, Dude what the heck hit you, a train?  Yikes!  do you have a thread here from when this happened?  I hope you are back to 100% healthy 8) Given your actions to fix up your sweet `83 I'd have to guess you are doing well!

On the factory exhaust, maybe a silly idea but it's so nice it would stink to junk it.  Could the end of the exhaust be cut off somehow creating a shorter baffle?  Only the end is trashed.  Just a thought.

Quote from: Lucky on April 30, 2007, 08:18:42 PM
i'm more worried about bits of the case from the crash in there...
I agree here.  I'll admit I see the crack in the cover and block but do not see the chunk missing.  Be sure to change the oil.  Is there a good welding shop in the area?  IMHO a nice TIG weld would be the best fix.  Any part you can save from your black beauty is sure to save you a bunch of time with all the resto work needed to make the parts bike's parts match. 
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

ProfessorRex

Quote from: Scott_Mc on May 04, 2007, 07:52:05 AM
Professor Rex, Dude what the heck hit you, a train?  Yikes!  do you have a thread here from when this happened?

Yes I do
The accident: http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=5488.0
and the surgery: http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=5574.msg47228#msg47228

I'm back to about 50%

Quote from: Scott_Mc on May 04, 2007, 07:52:05 AM
On the factory exhaust, maybe a silly idea but it's so nice it would stink to junk it.  Could the end of the exhaust be cut off somehow creating a shorter baffle?  Only the end is trashed.  Just a thought.

I know SUCH A SHAME!  I'm going to try to do something with it, but it's more damaged than the pictures show.