Starter clutch... new caps... still wont fire...

Started by dj, April 30, 2007, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I can sympathize with the weather, h2o probably can too now that i think of it <_<
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Weather at my house hasn't been too bad - at least when I'm gone . . .  Seems like it's beautiful for weekends & raint from Monday through Thursday.  I've been going to various auto race events on long weekends & keeping tabs on the weather while I'm gone.  Sure enough - sunny, warm & dry the entire time I'm gone.  Get home & the rains come.  Supposed to happen again this week.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

yeah...I've been watching that too.  I've been trying to take the bike to work and this damn desert weather doesn't seem to be acting like a desert.  Was nice as hell today though so I took the 65 mile route to work going from Lookout Mtn to Conifer to Centennial.  Looks like it might be another tossup for tomorrow's weather.  Will check it before I leave but will probably chance it anyway. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can get some work done on the bike.  I have the tap and wrench to be able to retap the holes out.  I have the new puller bolts, and I have the tool to be able to get the phillips head screws out for the petcock.

As long as I don't screw anything up while I tap the holes I should have the flywheel off by friday evening.  Wish me luck, and pray for the sun to come back some point soon in the North East.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Okay, I am getting really frustrated with this "easy fix".

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The flywheel is still on the farking bike!  What am I doing wrong?

Here is what I've done tonight to mess things up.

I retaped the hole to 3/8th which was the next size up that I could get.  I got the 3/8th bolts and tried to use the harmonic balancer puller.  After awhile it seemed like the flywheel was starting to budge a bit so I kept at it.  And then the same hole that I taped out spit the new bolt out!

I then called up Sears to see if they had a 2 jaw puller as the 3 jaw puller wont fit on (not enough clearance on all three sides).  They did and I picked it up.

I started back in on the bike.  Took 2 hours of working on it and the flywheel kept getting closer to the end of the bolt that goes through the flywheel.  So I think great it must be coming off.  I loosen the puller and back the flywheel bolt back out and tighten the puller back up for round two.  It takes about 10 minutes this time and the bolt is again flush against the flywheel, but it hasn't moved out any farther.  So by now I am thinking "what the f@ck".  I take the puller off and back the flywheel bolt all the way out and low and behold the threads are rounded over and the bolt was just sliding in the hole.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The only good thing is I didn't completly mess up the threads on the inside as the bolt still threads in and out.  Not sure yet whether or not I'll be able to torque it down properly or not, but I'll worry about that after I get the flywheel off.

So once again what am I doing wrong?  Everyone says this is such and easy fix, but I seem to be having a really hard time with it!  I must be missing something.  I have read through the section in the Haynes manual about a dozen times and I don't see anything about putting a bolt back through the hole in the flywheel.  Why is this done and where does the puller actually pull against on the shaft?

I am thoroughly confused and getting really pissed at myself for not understanding what to do.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am just about on my last straw with this!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Heat, lots and lots, you're kinda at the end of the 'how to get a flywheel off' rope here.

dj

Okay, I've calmed down a little since my "rant", but not much.  Blood pressure is probably through the ceiling right now.

I've looked through the pics in the manual and it looks to me that the threaded part in the middle of the flywheel is actually the "woodruff key" thing.  Does the puller actually press on this when taking the flywheel off, and if so why does everyone suggest putting a bolt back in the threads?

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

the area highlited in red is what you want the center puller bolt of the puller to rest against.  forget the crancshaft bolt, just leave it out, & you'll have to just get caveman on that center puller bolt...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

Thanks for the help Lucky.  That is what I figured after what happened tonight.  I'll go try it and see how it goes.

Hopefully I didn't screw the threads up on the inside to much.  Not sure how I would fix that if I did.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

THE FLYWHEEL IS OFF!  I REPEAT THE FLYWHEEL IS OFF!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Only one cap and roller came out and the spring for it stayed in the starter clutch.  I don't seem to have the proper allen wrench for the 3 bolts, but I'll pick those up in the morning.  I'll inspect the rollers and springs, but by the first glance everything looks good.

I put the puller back on and tightened it down gave it 2 whacks, tightened it down some more and one good wack and it flew off (almost cliping my knee).  The darn thing flew about 3-4 feet from the bike when she popped off.

ICBM was right!

ANOTHER BIG THANK YOU TO LUCKY!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Night Vision

nuts, I was just about to tell you the secret.....

dj.. I was about to cancel my trip to OnROV and come up ther instead....

NOT   ;D

I'm going to go have a beer I'm so happy for ya ...TTFN
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

So far I have definetly put a lot of sweat and blood into this bike.  Banged two more knuckles tonight.  One was dripping blood all over the puller while I was getting the flywheel off.

If I knew my bike was a blood sucker then I would've made sure to wear gloves while working on her.  In the past three days I have banged every knuckle and scrapped up all but my little fingers on both hands.  Drawn blood from 4 knuckles and had one of them dripping blood down my hand for over 20 minutes.  I need to start working on her more during the daylight so I can actually see what I am doing for a change.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on May 17, 2007, 11:44:12 PM
nuts, I was just about to tell you the secret.....

dj.. I was about to cancel my trip to OnROV and come up ther instead....

NOT   ;D

I'm going to go have a beer I'm so happy for ya ...TTFN

I already know the secret...  If at first you don't succeed then don't f*ck up the next time.  Although it took me about 5 different nights of working on her during 2 weeks to manage to not f*ck up.

Thanks for thinking of me....  I would have offered to buy you a months worth of beer and pay for your gas!  But oh well.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

well, now you and your V are blood brothers...

good job there Jimmy V! (read my sig-line)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

...Bows deeply...

I can picture the madman dance of joy you did when it came off, & your neighbors peeking thru the curtains dialing 9....1....

;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

8) Now that you have lost blood, sweat 'n tear's over and on your Vision... ;D I guarantee you will really enjoy your "V" once on the road ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;) This is part of the road to enlightenment , grasshopper... :D :D :D BTW...We have all, at some point, done the madman dance of joy you did when it came off, & had neighbors peeking thru the curtains dialing 9....1.... ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) Happy day's again...well done 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

I tell you although I did not have all your troubles I really wondered it the flywheel was EVER going to come off before something else was broke!

Now don't get suckered like I did putting it back on and then finding out you really don't have it all the way back on! I still have to wonder if my threads on the crank weren't missed up alittle-was getting scary how much force I was using to screw it back on.

dj

Starter clutch bolts are out.  I inspected the rollers, caps, and springs and there is nothing wrong with them that I could see.  I have every thing back on the flywheel, minus the new bolts as I'll have to pick them up tomorrow.

I'll be workingon the carbs and petcock today (need to get it off the tank first though).  Anybody know where to get a petcock rebuild kit from?  I'll be checking on ebay today.

I should be having my parts put on order by the end of today.  (carb boots, new throttle and clutch cable, rear brake tensioner bar bolts and hardware...)

I'll be picking up the paint probably monday or tuesday to start getting things ready to paint.  I'll wait until I have everything back together and running before I start working on the paint though.  My main priority is to get the bike on the road and running good, then I'll worry about the paint.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Okay, well some more progress has been made.  I bought the new starter clutch bolts this morning.  I cut them down and put a generous amount of red locktight on them, and peened the ends.  I'll be going out to put the flywheel back on the bike.

I am assuming that I just fit it back over the woodruff key, tap it on and then torque it down until it is all the way back on.

I have the carbs all done and ready to go back on the bike.  I'll be ordering some new carb boots and some misc. items, but the old boots should be good enough to test things out and see if the bike wants to start now that the starter clutch is fixed.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)