Starter clutch... new caps... still wont fire...

Started by dj, April 30, 2007, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

??? Whoa, back up a wee bit...just thinking out loud here, so bare with me...

1 - How would you manage to strip the thread's in the shaft...The puller doesn't enter into the shaft, however, the first few threads can be damaged when using a puller and can be re-tapped or cleaned up with a thread chaser.

2 - Not sure how the shaft bolt would get stripped either, however, before you do anything else, buy a new bolt and right size washer, re-install by hand, tighten/torque down...and let us know the result before going any further... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

Quote from: Tiger on May 21, 2007, 08:19:07 AM
??? Whoa, back up a wee bit...just thinking out loud here, so bare with me...

1 - How would you manage to strip the thread's in the shaft...The puller doesn't enter into the shaft, however, the first few threads can be damaged when using a puller and can be re-tapped or cleaned up with a thread chaser.

2 - Not sure how the shaft bolt would get stripped either, however, before you do anything else, buy a new bolt and right size washer, re-install by hand, tighten/torque down...and let us know the result before going any further... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger - short answer because I am an idiot when it comes to working on vehicles.

Long answer, I thought I knew what I was doing with taking the flywheel off, but was sadly mistaken.  I kept reading people posting that you had to put a bolt back through the crankshaft to have the puller push up against.  So I put the bolt back in about 3/4 of the way back into the crankshaft and then hooked the puller up.  Well in the process of using the puller it would up rolling the threads over on the bolt and almost completly desimating the threads on the inside of the crankshaft instead of popping off the flywheel.

I was finally able to get the flywheel off when I tried it with out the bolt in the crankshaft, but by then the damage was done.

The problem is that the threads in the shaft are non-existant thanks to me having my head up my @$$ and not asking enough questions to know if I was doing things properly.  So even though I will need to buy a new bolt it wont help with my problem very much as there isn't anything even closely resembling threads in the shaft for the new bolt to tighten on with.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

:)O.K. now I understand how it happened...and your NOT an idiot. We all have to go thru' a learning curve, as most of the experienced guy's will attest to...we have all made some major error's of judgment, (big screw ups), at some point and still will on occasion... ;) The trick is to learn by them and exact a repair...and you have a couple of option's available.

1 - Buy a metric thread repair kit...like helicoil or an equivalent. This is the best way. You will have to drill out, tap, thread in the insert, etc...

2 - Another way, given that you will have to drill and re-tap the hole (as in #1), would be to drill & tap it out to the next STANDARD bolt size, (I don't have a conversion chart handy!!)...say 7/16th... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

dj

Quote from: Lucky on May 20, 2007, 10:36:31 PM
i have to look this up, hang on...

the size is M10 x 1.25 torque is 58 ft lbs (80 nm)

get one with a hardness rating of at least 8

how to use a helicoil:
http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=233
the page takes a bit to load

--Lucky

Thanks for the link Lucky.  I'm printing it out right now so I can read it and then I'll ask any questions about things that I don't understand fully.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Well I called around and Advanced Autoparts stocks the M10X1.25 pitch helicoil kit (with the drill bit) for about $20, unfortunately they are out of stock until Wednesday.  So looks like I'll be dubbing around with some other things for the next few days.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Quote from: dj on May 21, 2007, 02:02:56 PM
Well I called around and Advanced Autoparts stocks the M10X1.25 pitch helicoil kit (with the drill bit) for about $20, unfortunately they are out of stock until Wednesday.  So looks like I'll be dubbing around with some other things for the next few days.

Is your V as shiny and clean as it can possibly get? If not, perhaps a bit of scrub-a-dub-dubbing is in order to take your mind off the mechanical end of things?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 21, 2007, 09:15:54 PM
Is your V as shiny and clean as it can possibly get? If not, perhaps a bit of scrub-a-dub-dubbing is in order to take your mind off the mechanical end of things?

Wish I could, but I gotta work on the waterpump in the truck.  I was working on it last night (for 10 whole minutes) and my wife comes out and says she just got called into work.  So much for getting the truck back on the road.   ::)

I'll probably be picking up a new fuse block with the helicoil kit on wednesday or thursday as that will give me a good side project to work on if the helicoil causes me to start going into fits.  Anybody know what the different fuses under the seat are rated?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Should be a sticker under each fuse in the standard fuse box. I'll go run out and look real fast.

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Beat me to it! Blast! Anyway, heres what mine says, top to bottom:
30A Main
10A Head
10A Signal
10A Ignition

dj

Thanks guys.  I'll have to call around and see who has the fuse boxes.  Is there a special crimper that I'll need to use to put the wires in the fuse box?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Don't see why a pair of needle noses shouldnt do ya :D
When you're done, come over and do mine.

Night Vision

Quote from: dj on May 22, 2007, 10:13:54 AM
..... Is there a special crimper that I'll need to use to put the wires in the fuse box?

the blade box I got had male connectors. I got female connectors at ACE Place that I crimped onto the wire using a special tool called a "crimping tool". you can find these crimpers in combination with wire strippers at any good auto store or maybe even radio shack. this combination tool is called a "strimper"  ::) jk dj  ;)

;D

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on May 22, 2007, 11:14:50 AM
Quote from: dj on May 22, 2007, 10:13:54 AM
..... Is there a special crimper that I'll need to use to put the wires in the fuse box?
the blade box I got had male connectors. I got female connectors at ACE Place that I crimped onto the wire using a special tool called a "crimping tool". you can find these crimpers in combination with wire strippers at any good auto store or maybe even radio shack. this combination tool is called a "strimper"  ::) jk dj  ;)

Smarta$$  ;), I was just wondering if there was a special crimper that needed to be used.  I am very familiar with the crimper/stripper combos as I use them quite frequently at work (radio maintenance technician) when I install vehicle radios (which I am actually doing today).
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 22, 2007, 11:58:07 AM
Lol, strimper. New name for them, thanks NV!

Inane, don't encourage him.  He is already bad enough!   ;D  jk NV, you know we all love you! ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

just make sure you don't buy a cheap one,

those are called..... "scrimpers" and are easily confused with the higher quality "strimpers"
  ;D ;D ;D
;D

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on May 22, 2007, 12:59:08 PM
just make sure you don't buy a cheap one,

those are called..... "scrimpers" and are easily confused with the higher quality "strimpers"
  ;D ;D ;D

You are on a roll today NV.   ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

;D

Tiger

:)...and don't forget the fuse in the headlight bucket ::) Get a pack of 10 amp ATO Blade fuse's for this and the three under the seat, also a fuse holder to replace the one in the headlight bucket, (rad' fan fuse)... ;)

...and N_V...ROLL OVER ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8)........TIGER....... 8)