Starter clutch... new caps... still wont fire...

Started by dj, April 30, 2007, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Quote from: dj on May 14, 2007, 11:36:32 AM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 14, 2007, 11:29:58 AM
Muck!

Yeah it is a nice way of saying that I had to shovel out the sh!t and p!ssed on shavings.  ;D  The   joys of having animals.

You muck in a mine after you shoot down rocks too :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Well, I actually got to do some work on the bike last night.  Not on the flywheel/starter clutch, but some other stuff that I’ve been meaning to do for awhile.

Took the tank off (cause the petcock is junk) and drained out some nasty gas.  I guess I forgot to drain the tank last winter.  So I also took off the carbs to clean them out again.  Noticed the carb boots are in horrid condition, so I pulled them (going to replace them).

Also took the seat off so I could finally mount my backrest/luggage rack on the bike.  Looks great and pics will be coming soon.  I don’t have a clue what it is for a back rest as the guy that I bought the V off of bought it and couldn’t remember where he got it.  Looks great, but it was a pain in the back to get it on there.

I also checked the brake tensioner bar bolts.  They look fine, but I don’t trust them so I am ordering new ones.

I also don’t like the look of the clutch cable, throttle cable, and choke cable.  They are starting to show their age and I don’t trust old cables.  Brake lines look great still.

I do have a question though.  I want to update the fuse panel with the fuse block, but don’t know where to get this stuff.  Would the local auto parts store carry these?

Next steps are to get the gear puller tonight to get the flywheel off, look at the starter clutch and see what is going on with it.  And to get the bike running!

After all that I’ll be doing something with the paint.  Looks like I can’t do what I wanted to do with the paint job.  I was planning on keeping the blue and silver theme and having the new Air Force symbol on the top of the tank, but apparently it is a registered trademark and you can’t use it on permanent applications with out written permission.  So I started looking around the site for tips on dyi painting of the bike and I think I am going to try what DaveTN did with his bike.  Not the same color though.  www.paintforcars.com has a nice looking dark blue (midnight blue) that I like that would make it close to the color that it is now.  I’d still have to repaint everything, but it would look a hell of a lot better then it does now.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

DJ,

If you cant use a permanent emblem, what about a sticker or a magnetic emblem?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dj

I was planning on using a decal, but I haven't been able to find one.  I know they are out there, but I have no clue as to where to get them.  Just have to keep looking.

My plan was to have the tank painted, put the decal on, and then clear coat over it so that the decal wouldn't get all messed up with scrathes and stuff.  So even the decal would be "permanent".  I could put the decal over the clear coat, so then it wouldn't be permanent.  But I still need to paint the tank, and it will be a lot less money to do it myself.  I have a nice air compressor that I can get a sprayer nozzle for to do the painting with.  Just have to look around and see where to get the spray nozzle from.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Dave - I just noticed on the paint site that all the good colors that I was looking at are "METALLIC".  How much of a difficulty jump are we talking when comparing regular to metallic?  Can you strain out the metallic flakes to make it "regular" paint for use in a normal sprayer?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

You might send a PM to reckon.  He's a paint expert.  He's put up a couple posts about painting.  I know he highly recommends a paint gun from Harbor Freight.  It's an HVLP unit, part #90977-OVGA.  He says it sprays metalflake real well.  I'm planning on getting this gun in the next day or two and begin spraying the Pumpkin Project.

His painting posts have numerous excellent tips.  Make sure you do the prep work well - makes a huge difference in the finished surface.  Spray a test panel to make sure everything is flowing correctly & use it to adjust the gun settings as well.

With your compressor & paint gun, you need an air dryer of some sort as well.  You want to remove as much water from the air as possible.  Beyond that, I'm as much a newbie to spray gun painting as you are.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Wow, I just checked out that spray gun.  $60!  ;D  Thats even in my price range.  Looks like I'll be painting my own bike instead of spending several hundred to get it touched up.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: dj on May 15, 2007, 11:51:13 AM
Dave - I just noticed on the paint site that all the good colors that I was looking at are "METALLIC".  How much of a difficulty jump are we talking when comparing regular to metallic?  Can you strain out the metallic flakes to make it "regular" paint for use in a normal sprayer?

The only painting experience I have is the job I did on my bike, so I'm by no means an expert....but I did sleep in a Holiday inn....once. (couldn't resist that)
I used the sunshine yellow which does not have any metallic component to it.  I did learn though that you need constant pressure and a water trap to get good results.  I had neither, so I had to add a lot of sanding and re-doing until it looked good.

heh heh... I'm at a local auto shop getting an oil change and they provide free wifi.  Cool.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dj

Quote from: DaveTN on May 15, 2007, 12:41:01 PM

heh heh... I'm at a local auto shop getting an oil change and they provide free wifi.  Cool.

David

Just like a kid in a candy store.  Just give Dave something fun to do with computers and he giggles like a school girl!  ;)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

I paid 23 dollars for my entire painting setup. Whats the secret? Rustoleum roll on paint :D

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 15, 2007, 01:37:24 PM
I paid 23 dollars for my entire painting setup. Whats the secret? Rustoleum roll on paint :D

Rustoleum?  I didn't know they made automotive paint?  Where did you buy it?  What colors did you have to chose from?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: dj on May 15, 2007, 01:40:22 PM
Rustoleum?  I didn't know they made automotive paint?  Where did you buy it?  What colors did you have to chose from?

I hope you're joking :)  They don't make automotive paint.  They make this weird stuff that seems to work really well for a lot of different uses, including auto paint (and in my case frame paint  ;D )

Brian (bought mine from the local hardware store!)

dj

Quote from: Brian Moffet on May 15, 2007, 01:41:54 PM
Quote from: dj on May 15, 2007, 01:40:22 PM

I hope you're joking :)  They don't make automotive paint.  They make this weird stuff that seems to work really well for a lot of different uses, including auto paint (and in my case frame paint  ;D )

Brian (bought mine from the local hardware store!)

Spray or roll on?  How well does it hold up against gas?  Any high temp stuff (pipes/engine  ???)  What is the stuff called/what type of paint is it?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Its not high heat or anything, its just a single stage enamel paint that comes in quart and gallon sizes. They have tonnes of colors, google rustoleum, their website has all the colors. It's just like house paint how it comes in cans, just use it as is, or in the case of our uses thin it WAY down and either brush/roll it on, and work up (wet sanding) from 400 to 800 to 1500 then polish using polishing compound and a buffer (bought the buffer for my headlights on my car for 20 bucks, 5 bucks for the polishing compound)
I think its just a regular enamel, but rustoleum says its some super rust prohibiting formula, which it is, but it doesnt seem too special outside of that. They have alot of really cool colors too.

Brian Moffet

I bought spray-on (rattle can) Appliance paint in gloss black.  It seems to hold up fairly well to gas when dry (it takes forever to harden completely)  I'm not sure I would want to put it on something that is constantly in contact with fuel.

Brian

inanecathode

Aye yea, im not sure how rustoleum holds up to gas when totally cured. It IS oil based so, i can see how constant exposure (maybe soaking as apposed to occasional dousing) would destroy it.

h2olawyer

I am going a different route on Pumpkin.  A select few know the color & paint I'm using.  I'll post details after I do the paint job - if it ever decides to dry out for a few days around here.  I am using a paint meant for vehicles & it was a whopping $14 per quart!  I've seen things painted with this same stuff remain outdoors for many years without the amount of fading you might expect.  It will fade & chalk, but it polishes up just fine.

If you need to know what it is before I paint & post, send me a PM.  I'm wanting it to be a surprise.  Color choices are somewhat limited, though.

I used Krylon rattlecan BBQ paint on the MACs (aluminium colour).  Turned out pretty good.  Scratched them a bit during installation, but I can easily touch them up.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 15, 2007, 02:28:22 PM
I am using a paint meant for vehicles & it was a whopping $14 per quart!

If you need to know what it is before I paint & post, send me a PM.  I'm wanting it to be a surprise.  Color choices are somewhat limited, though.
H2O

PM sent.  Don't need to know the color, but the type of paint would be nice.  I might decide to do the painting soon since everything is torn apart right now.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Well for all you people following my “progress”, here is an update.

THE FLYWHEEL IS STILL ON THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

I picked up a gear puller from sears last night and tried it, but it just wouldn’t fit on there right.  Tried every configuration with the stupid thing and I can only get 2 of the 3 jaws to slip over properly.  Tried it in 2 jaw configuration, but I can’t get the jaws evenly spaced on the flywheel so that it doesn’t slip off to the side.  >:( >:( >:(

So the puller is getting returned tonight.  Hopefully I don’t have any problems with that.

I called over to the bike shop that I go to every once in a while when I am completely stuck on something, and the owner said it would be a minimum 3-4 weeks before I could schedule to drop the bike off and then up to a week after that before he could start on it.  5-6 week wait!  :o :o :o No way.

I called the auto parts store and had them set aside a 3/8th tap, t-wrench, and a can of the Berryman’s (also have to clean the carbs :-[) for my wife to pick up later this evening.  I’ll have to swing over to the hardware store to pick up some 3/8th X 4” bolts for when I am done tapping out the hole(s).

Now I’ll just have to wait for the rain to let up a bit.  I don’t mind working when it is a light drizzle, but when it is coming down really hard I don’t even bother trying to do anything outside.  I’ve got pretty good rain gear (military issue), but it is a pain to try and work on something and have the hood up on my gortex jacket as it just gets in the way.

So if everybody can say some prayers for me and my bike for a successful flywheel operation it would be much appreciated.  It would be more appreciated if someone where to come up and help me (I’ll pay for the gas!!!).   ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

I think, don't go too long on the bolts, back them up with a stack of washers if needed. i think if the bolts are excessivly long, the flex & take some of the shock out of the hammer blows.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black