News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter clutch... new caps... still wont fire...

Started by dj, April 30, 2007, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Quote from: Tiger on May 22, 2007, 06:18:00 PM
..and N_V...ROLL OVER ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

You guys have got to stop encouraging his behavior.  How will he ever grow up if you keep rewarding his behavior???   ;)

We all know that not a single one of us have "grown up" yet.  Just look at how much time and effort we put into keeping our "toys" in working order.   ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Gah, you people. Theres something in the forum water today or something i swear.
Laquer thinner must be wafting from my computer to yoose guyses.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 23, 2007, 01:34:51 AM
Gah, you people. Theres something in the forum water today or something i swear.
Laquer thinner must be wafting from my computer to yoose guyses.

;D ;D ;D

Don't be stingy, keep the fumes coming!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

No fumes until you help me paint.
By help me paint i mean bring me a coke.

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 23, 2007, 10:25:06 AM
No fumes until you help me paint.
By help me paint i mean bring me a coke.

Okay, if I leave know with the coke I think I could get it to you in about a week.   ::)  I think it would be all warm and nasty by then so I'll just stay home.   ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Lol good plan. Wouldnt like the weather here anyway :D
Get that crank bolt thing figured yet? What all needs to be done?

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 23, 2007, 11:50:53 AM
Lol good plan. Wouldnt like the weather here anyway :D
Get that crank bolt thing figured yet? What all needs to be done?

Still waiting for the helicoil kit to arrive at the part store.  They carry them, but when I called on monday they were all out and the next shipment is coming in today at some point.  I'll be calling over to them in about an hour to see if it came in yet.

What needs to be done is I have to drill out the hole (with the bit from the kit) and then tap out the hole and insert the helicoil.  after that I install a new bolt M10X1.25 pitch bolt and put the flywheel back on the bike.  I am still waiting for my parts order to come in from the bike shop (carb boots and gasket, throttle cable, clutch cable, brake tensioner bar bolts, crank case gasket...) and then I'll need to pick up a new shift lever bolt (6mm bolt that is 20mm long).

After that I have to put everything back together and see if she wants to wake up from her long nap.  ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Well, I finally made some more progress on my V.   ;D ;D ;D

I spent the past few days working on my truck's waterpump, and I think I finally got it all straightened out.  And on top of that the weather was great for working outside today.  Nice and sunny, but not blistering hot with a nice breeze to keep things cool.

I got out the helicoil kit and drill and started working on the threads in the crankshaft.  After about 2 hours of drilling out the crankshaft (I took things nice and slow to make sure that the drill was level and making a good smooth area for the new threads).  I then tapped the hole out and spent about 30 minutes gettingout all the metal bits after using the tap.  Screwed in the helicoil and removed the tang from it.  Now I just need to remember where I put the new crankshaft bolt.   ??? :-[ ;).

All in all I was really nervous about drilling the crankshaft, but everything went great and I am almost ready to start putting everything back together.  My new carb boots, bolt kit for the brake bar, throttle and clutch cables, and gasket should be in by the end of next week.  So by next weekend I should have everything back together and hopefully have some good news about my V waking up from her nap.  I'll make sure to keep everybody posted as to my progress.

Oh, and by the way I may have a project bike soon.   ;D ;D ;D Just have to convince the wife to let me spend a few hundred bucks to pay for it and gas to go get it.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Don't let your V see your new project bike. Guarantee you your V will break again in some fashion.

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 27, 2007, 12:26:12 AM
Don't let your V see your new project bike. Guarantee you your V will break again in some fashion.

Still working on getting the kitchen pass from the wife, and then it'll most likely still be a few weeks before pickup could be arranged.  It is a nice looking 82 with the 83 full fairing.  Needs a bunch of work done to it by the pics, but it definetly has a lot of potential.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Well no progress has been made in the past few days as I am currently waiting on my parts order.  Once my parts come in I'll put everything back together and pop in a new fully charged battery and see what she does.

On other fronts things are looking good right now for obtaining the kitchen pass for the project bike.  I'll make sure to pay for the bike quick before the wife changes her mind if she goes for this one.  She was all excited about getting the bike from Scott_Mc, and then she changed her mind right when Scott and I were trying to get things coordinated to meet.

I am hoping my parts come in by the end of the week, although even if they do I still wont be able to work on things much.  I am spending the next 3 days working at a Living History museum that I volunteer at.  I have been working in the blacksmith shop with 2 other smiths for the past 4-5 years (one of the guys is my father-in-law).  At the beggining of the season we have "Children's days" were all the local schools come in (5-8 grades) and see how people used to live in the 1700's (although with the set up of the blacksmith shop it is closer to early 1800's).  The kids love seeing us work the hot metal (we are always the most visited area, with the been-hole-been pit being the second favorite.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

I haven’t been very “productive” when it comes to getting my bike on the road.  I’m still waiting for my parts order to come in from the parts store.  Plus I have been using just about every day light hour for the past several weeks trying to keep the cages on the road. 

First the truck’s water pump gives up the ghost.  My dad and I change that out and then we deal with a darn hose that won’t sit on the output line of the water pump properly.  Takes about 2 days of working on that to get it to seal properly with the clamp on it.  Two days after getting the truck back on the road the car craps out.  I had to leave work early yesterday to go pick my wife up because the tranny is slipping in and out of gear when it is driving.  So tonight I get to work with my dad (my personal mechanic) on draining, flushing, and replacing the fluid and filter for the tranny.  We are hopping that the old filter is just clogging up, instead of the tranny being cr@p.

We won’t know however until after we change out the fluid and the filter.  We are hoping this fixes it as it really wont be cost effective to replace the tranny in a 91 Subaru Legacy.  Tranny probably costs more then the vehicle is worth. 

On top of that the other car (2000 Ford Focus) needs a new clutch because my wife likes to ride the clutch pedal way to much.  I kept telling her that if she didn’t stop riding the clutch that she was going to burn it up.  Well, about 6 months ago I get a call at work from her cell phone saying the Focus is stuck in neutral and there is a burning smell coming from under the hood.  Guess what, she burnt up the !@%!@#$%!$% clutch.  Although I would have loved to do the whole I told you so thing, I knew better then to say it.  Even though I was right, I still would have been a mean a$$ for saying it.  ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tanno

DJ, where are you ordering the carb parts from? And the carb "boot" is the "intake manifold", correct? (The rubber piece between the carb and the head.)
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

dj

Quote from: Tanno on June 06, 2007, 11:37:15 PM
DJ, where are you ordering the carb parts from? And the carb "boot" is the "intake manifold", correct? (The rubber piece between the carb and the head.)

Tanno, I am ordering the "carb boot/intake manifolds" from a friends bike parts shop.  He gives me a discount of 20% above his cost, and they all come from the Yamaha warehouse just like the dealers when they order the parts.  Yes the boots are the intake manifolds, they are the rubber pieces between the carb and the intakes on the engine (there is also a set of gaskets that need to be ordered with them as they don't come with them.

I don't have the part numbers right off hand, but if you have check out the yamaha website you can get to the exploded parts listing and get the old part number.  The guys/gals at the parts counter can look it up and get the current part number for them (front and back are different part numbers).  I believe they are running about $50 each (maybe less then that).
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Bike bandits carries the boots as well. 66 dollars and change a piece, and 6 bucks and change a piece for the gaskets.
I know this from experience   :-X

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 07, 2007, 11:58:21 AM
Bike bandits carries the boots as well. 66 dollars and change a piece, and 6 bucks and change a piece for the gaskets.
I know this from experience   :-X

I payed around $30 and change for each (with my discount), so I can't complain to much.  The bolts for the BTB were .35 a peice, the nuts were like .10 a piece, clutch cable was like $20, throttle cable was $14.75 (which is discontinued so I am getting a refund on that one), left side gasket was like $5...  All in all I spent about $150 bucks were it would have cost me over $300 for the same items thru the stealer.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 07, 2007, 03:38:08 PM
o_O
dj is our new parts supplier :D

As long as there aren't a huge influx of orders.  I think he would get suspicious if I kept ordering a lot of the same items.

;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Checked in with the parts store and my parts order is in, so it looks like I can get some work in on getting the bike pieced back together this weekend.

I'll be posting my progress, as long as it doesn't rain to much I should be able to get things all put back together and see if she fires up.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)