News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Starter clutch... new caps... still wont fire...

Started by dj, April 30, 2007, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: dj on June 07, 2007, 03:47:51 PM

As long as there aren't a huge influx of orders.  I think he would get suspicious if I kept ordering a lot of the same items.

oh, I don't know.... I've seen you go through a couple of starter seals  ::) and fly wheel pullers, and.....
;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on June 07, 2007, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: dj on June 07, 2007, 03:47:51 PM

As long as there aren't a huge influx of orders.  I think he would get suspicious if I kept ordering a lot of the same items.

oh, I don't know.... I've seen you go through a couple of starter seals  ::) and fly wheel pullers, and.....
;D

Ouch, my balls have just been busted by that "low blow".  Damn NV why you gotta be so mean?  ::)

(Just remember who the seal killer is of the forum...)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

I'm sorry dj, that post was buggin me the rest of the day since I posted it...

been thinking that Maine isn't really that far from NY and I've seen what you can do with a hammer  :D

I think you need a challenge..... get your V to my house in September and we can be friends  :-*
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on June 07, 2007, 08:14:34 PM
I'm sorry dj, that post was buggin me the rest of the day since I posted it...

been thinking that Maine isn't really that far from NY and I've seen what you can do with a hammer  :D

I think you need a challenge..... get your V to my house in September and we can be friends  :-*

My smithing hammer is only 2.5 pounds, but when you factor in that I lift it approx 5-6 thousand times in a weekend up to the living history museum then you better watch out for my hammer hand!  People say that getting punched by a blacksmith is like getting kicked by a mean spirited donkey.   ;D

If I can get the darn thing running, then I might just take you up on that offer.  As long as you stop making kissey faces at me!  :o
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 07, 2007, 09:11:47 PM
A... jackass if you will?
Sorry had to say it :x
*runs*

Since your new I'll hit you with my non hammer hand!  ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Well, I have been making some really good progress this morning.

Flywheel is back on the bike.  New gasket applied and crankcase is back on.  New carb boots have been installed.  Carbs are back on the bike.  Working on hooking everything back up.  I have a questions though.

On the front carb, according to lucky's diagram from the cd, there is a hose that should go from the carb to the air box.  I don't see where it would hook up to on the airbox.  There are only two connections for the air box and they are both bigger tubes coming from the engine block.

Brain cramp.  The right side of the front carb goes to the top of the airbox.  Nevermind the question.  I just need to find my piece of hose to cap off the other port on the front carb.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

the front carb doesnt go to the box...but goes to a 'air breather'...small round thing with some holes. I think the picture is just showing that the top of the carb goes into the airbox...sort of points out the obvious....ah..oh yeah there is a vacuum line that goes to the vacuum actuator...opens and closes the flapper....of course this assumes you have an Upgraded box.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Well, as you can tell by the way that I changed the thread title I am still having issues.

I did the starter clutch repair and put everything back together.  Tried to start it and I can hear the starter motor turning and it feels like the flywheel is turing, but it won't crank over.

12.6 at the battery.  Tried jumping it straight to the starter motor and had the same results.  What should I do now?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Well, my bike must be a woman (sorry to the ladies in the group) but no matter how much a I beg and plead with her she just will not start.

Truck battery was at 12.4ish, bike battery was at 9.5ish.  I tried jumping it going from the bike battery, and also from the starter connection.  She turns over and seems like she wants to start but wont "fire up"

Not sure if it is a lack of spark or lack of gas at the moment.  I'll be checking the plugs when I get home from work, and I'll also be getting out my spare set of carbs to put on the bike if the spark is good.

If this doens't work then I'll try to bump start it and see if she wants to wake up that way.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

but your clutch is grabing now right?

couple of things to keep in mind:

the TCI needs 9.5 -10V while cranking, to fire the coils, so keep your meter on the battery while cranking & keep an eye on it.

give it a shot of carb cleaner before you crank it see if it fires, even just a bit. if so, then it's a fuel delivery problem.

you, of course, need good spark to run the bike, but it should fire even with a weak spark
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

Quote from: Lucky on June 11, 2007, 07:50:25 AM
but your clutch is grabing now right?Yes the starter clutch is grabbing now.

couple of things to keep in mind:

the TCI needs 9.5 -10V while cranking, to fire the coils, so keep your meter on the battery while cranking & keep an eye on it. with the truck battery as the jump battery I was reading 12 even on the bike battery with the key on, didn't check what it was dropping to when trying to start it.  I'll check that out tonight.

give it a shot of carb cleaner before you crank it see if it fires, even just a bit. if so, then it's a fuel delivery problem.  I'll see if this works.  I'll also have my spare carbs ready and waiting to go on the bike if it does point to something in the carbs.  I know fuel is comming out of the petcock, but what I don't know is if it is leaving the float bowls (I checked the bowls and both have gas in them)

you, of course, need good spark to run the bike, but it should fire even with a weak spark
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

QBS

Put a shot of starting fluid (either)directly down both carb throats.  If you've got any spark at all the bike will run, at least until the either is burned up.  This can be done with the top of the air cleaner off.  Of course, the bike won't run well with the top off, but it will at least send vacuum signals throughout the carb bodies and maybe get things a little more responsive.  Cheers.

dj

Quote from: QBS on June 11, 2007, 10:08:57 AM
Put a shot of starting fluid (either)directly down both carb throats.  If you've got any spark at all the bike will run, at least until the either is burned up.  This can be done with the top of the air cleaner off.  Of course, the bike won't run well with the top off, but it will at least send vacuum signals throughout the carb bodies and maybe get things a little more responsive.  Cheers.

I'll give that a try as that will give me an indication of whether I have spark.  If it doens't ignite the ether then I'll know to check spark plugs/wires.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tanno

Wouldn't it be quicker just to pull the plugs and check for spark first?
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

inanecathode

Quote from: Tanno on June 12, 2007, 10:27:11 PM

Rear cylinder sure :D

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 13, 2007, 01:57:15 AM

It aint easy to get the spark plugs out.  Very tight fit.  My problem is that the spark plug caps are toasted. 12K Ohms resistance on one of them and the other was a solid open (max Ohms).  No wonder it wont start, there was no spark!

New plug caps are on order and hopfully will arive on thursday as expected.  I might be able to ride the bike this weekend!!!!  Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Quote from: dj on June 13, 2007, 07:07:19 AM

It aint easy to get the spark plugs out.  Very tight fit.  My problem is that the spark plug caps are toasted. 12K Ohms resistance on one of them and the other was a solid open (max Ohms).  No wonder it wont start, there was no spark!

New plug caps are on order and hopfully will arive on thursday as expected.  I might be able to ride the bike this weekend!!!!  Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Don't jinx yourself dude!

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on June 13, 2007, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: dj on June 13, 2007, 07:07:19 AM

Don't jinx yourself dude!

I didn't say it out loud, so the gremlins can't hear it.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tanno

They can read your mind also. Just "goto" your happy place, Gilmore.  :D
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown