News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter clutch... new caps... still wont fire...

Started by dj, April 30, 2007, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

wish i had a compressor to blow them dry with....I have to resort to my mouth to blow them out and I gotta tell you, that stuff does NOT taste as good as it smells.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

if nothing else, use canned air.  be sure to rise the dip out of the carbs with a garden hose before blowing them out.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

Carbs have been dipped, rinsed, and reassembled with all new guts (from the kits).  I still need to hook the front and back together, but the kids are getting hungry so supper is cooking and the carbs are on hold.  I might just be able to put them back on the bike tonight.  I wont be able to to much for testing as I need to replace the petcock bolts (that hold it to the tank).

So the carbs are rebuilt and the petcock is rebuilt.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

Quote from: kwells on July 20, 2007, 05:52:43 PM
wish i had a compressor to blow them dry with....I have to resort to my mouth to blow them out and I gotta tell you, that stuff does NOT taste as good as it smells.

I have an old Black & Decker "Air Station" that I use for air... couldn't even imagine how many times I've used it...

nice thing is, it has no "reservoir".... no condensation... I hate pumping water into tires at a gas station...
blows out carbs nice too....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Well, even after rebuilding the petcock it still leaks.  It is leaking out the bottom just above the drain screw.  It isn't in an area that comes apart as far as I can tell.  I looked at the petcock on Black "Beauty" and hers is leaking to.  I might take the guts from the blue one and swap them over to the black one's as I think it is leaking do to bad gaskets in the black ones.

I'll keep everybody posted, but it looks like I'll be needing to get two new petcocks.  Anybody no where to get some inexpensive petcocks?

EDIT_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Well I just changed the guts over to the other petcock and it is leaking in the same place.  I just looked more closely and they are both leaking from the drain screw on the front of the petcock.  I removed the screws on both petcocks and they are the same screws.  Kinda short and stuby.  Neither one has an o-ring on them.  It would seem logical that they would have an o-ring.

Are the petcock drain screws supposed to have an o-ring on them?  What size (length) is everybodies elses drain screws?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Here is a pic to help show where I am talking about.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

iirc they have a clear/whitish plastic flat o ring to seal them

h2olawyer

Take a petcock to your neighborhood 'helpful hardware man' & you should be able to find an o-ring, neoprene or plastic washer that will seal it up.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

They do have the white flat thing inside where it screws into, but it isn't sealing properly on either one of them, so either the screws are the wrong ones are both of the flat white orings are bad.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

try flipping them over..  the screws sound like the right ones.

dj

I'll try and flip it in one of them.  Not sure how they come out as I didn't take them out to begin with, but I'll see if I can figure it out.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

It might sounds stupid but when I PORd my tank and put my petcock back on it too leaked which baffled me.  It turned out the leak wasnt the petcock at all but where the petcock sealed up to the tank.  that oval ring had been smashed down enough to no longer seal right.  The gas was dribbling down the back side of the petcock and I though it was coming from the lower section of the petcock.  You probably already have eliminated that by now but if not it's something to check for.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Kwells, at this point in time with all I have gone through with the bike I dont count anything out.  I'll double check it tomorrow once my light source comes back up (hopefully there aren't any shades covering it  ::)).
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)