News:

Main Menu

Petcock rebuild

Started by cvt, October 10, 2007, 09:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvt

Is there anything I should lookout for when rebuilding the petcock on my 82 Vision?

Lucky

there is a small, nearly invisable screen behind the square metal plate, on the plastic diaphram plate. some i've rebuilt had them & some didn't (lost?)

watch out for corroded aluminum where the plastic tube fits in.  if it's really bad, missing a lot of metal, build it back up with JB weld, & use a dremil to shape it back out.

other than that it's an easy rebuild. 

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

I use small metal brushes with my dremel to clean the petcock metal parts, to go in the nooks and cranies, to make sure all is sparklin' clean...

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

cvt

cvt

Just finished rebuilding the petcock, reinstalled everything and sure enoughf it's still leaking.
It's leaking more then before right from the bottom piece that is pushed in.(the part that the fuel line sits on)
Is there a "o" ring gasket that has to go there or does the bottom piece have to be really pushed in hard?

Lucky

i don't have an 82 to look at, but if i remember right:
the screw is a drain, it has a plastic washer.
the fitting is just a press fit, i don't remember there being an o-ring.
a little fuel proof sealer should fix you up.

--Lucky

YellowJacket!

My 82 petcock is leaking from the same place.  I just swapped out my 83 tank last week and put the 82 on and filled it up.  Noticed a gas smell and then the drips.  Looks like only a couple drips a day but enough to smell up the garage.  I tightened things up but it still drips.
I'll dig into it later when I get done with work and mid terms.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

cvt

Quote from: Lucky on October 12, 2007, 05:08:29 PM
i don't have an 82 to look at, but if i remember right:
the screw is a drain, it has a plastic washer.
the fitting is just a press fit, i don't remember there being an o-ring.
a little fuel proof sealer should fix you up.

--Lucky

I will give the fuel proof sealer a shot this weekend

ironb12s

Press it in hard.  Word on GSResources is, best to replace the petcock, rebuilds are often unsuccessful...

Of course, you would need the assembly to be available, and these days it's not always a given...
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Lucky

They aren't, haven't been for a few years

ironb12s

Methinks we need to call to see for sure:

http://www.hondayamahasuperstore.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

They report that the 1983 petcock assembly is in stock, and you should call about the 1982 petcock.  The tanks are, of course, unobtainium, but many of the ancillary parts are still available.

This link was provided courtesy of DaveTN.

h2olawyer

Last time I know of an 83 petcock being ordered, it was on backorder with no known date of delivery (if any).  Maybe they have one in stock, but I highly doubt it - especially if they started doing business after 1983.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

If you doubt it, follow the link, plug in Yamaha, motorcycles, 1983, XZ550RK - Fuel Tank.

You'll find that they have a price posted for it.  In the 1982 schematic and list, it has no price but "call us" in it's place.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 14, 2007, 11:58:34 PM
Last time I know of an 83 petcock being ordered, it was on backorder with no known date of delivery (if any).  Maybe they have one in stock, but I highly doubt it - especially if they started doing business after 1983.

H2O

I think I got the last NOS 83 petcock 2 years ago.  ;D  SmokinJoe has it now.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

cvt

Used the fuel proof sealer, seems to have done the trick.
Thanks guys.

louthepou

One more problem solved!!!

Keep up the good work cvt.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

inanecathode

Quote from: ironb12s on October 15, 2007, 01:22:32 AM
If you doubt it, follow the link, plug in Yamaha, motorcycles, 1983, XZ550RK - Fuel Tank.

You'll find that they have a price posted for it.  In the 1982 schematic and list, it has no price but "call us" in it's place.

They can't laugh at you as effectively through email!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////