Main Menu

RE-Painting

Started by inanecathode, May 04, 2007, 07:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I actually do have already (for some reason, dont remember buying it) rustoleum plastic paint, ultra flat black.

I'm off to polishing today to see how shiny i can get this guy. The fairing pieces are in the shop getting bead blasted (40 bucks for the whole set). My left side cover just got here so that and the rest of the plastics (left side skinny piece is on the way) get sanded and painted today.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Inane - do you have the pics of your work with you?  I am at work and for some reason all I see are little tiny boxes with red X's in them.  I am really interested in seeing your progress as I might be trying this in the next week or so.

I'f you do have the pics then please send them to my email from my profile, if not then I'll try and remember to check the thread out when I get home.  Thanks.

Are you using the STOPRUST brand of the Rustoleum paint?  I was at HomeDepot last night getting new puller bolts and swung by the paint department and that was what the enamel paint was called.  They do have a nice navy blue color that I think would be a close match to the color scheme that I want to do.  Just need to find a good silver to go with it.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

My dad took our camera on a fishing trip, so i'll be minus a camera when i get to the cool part, wet sanding of the flat black bottom piece.
I finished with the buffing today, and outside of a glob of wax and a bit of elbow polish, and the drying of the black part, i'm done!
I must say, it looks fan-diddly-tastic, dad says 'looks like stock'. Totally smooth to the touch, even, and shiny! Wish i had a camera with me :(

The paint i've used is "Rustoleum: Stops Rust, Protective enamel" in the quart size, not the professional or the painters touch kind.

inanecathode

Aw crap, i lost my freakin Yamaha emblem >=(

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on May 17, 2007, 09:57:33 PM

Where?????

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Quote from: DaveTN on May 17, 2007, 11:19:39 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 17, 2007, 09:57:33 PM

Where?????

Lol if i knew it wouldnt be lost would it :P
Probably gonna look around tomorrow for it.
Black paint is dried. Looks. AWESOME! Im going to see if a bit of wet sanding doesnt even out the flatness a bit.

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on May 17, 2007, 09:57:10 PM
The paint i've used is "Rustoleum: Stops Rust, Protective enamel" in the quart size, not the professional or the painters touch kind.

Paint looks awesome.  I'll definetly be painting the bike with this stuff.  Hopefully they still have the navy blue color in a few days (only one can left when I stopped over last night).  Now that the flywheel is off my bike I should have the starter clutch fixed by the end of the weekend, so I can move on to cleaning the carbs, getting her running, and getting her some new paint.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Keep us updated on the progress.  Don't skimp on the pics.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Trick is to get it thin enough to self level. I wouldnt worry about runs, if it runs you're putting on too much. Good weather/heated garage (ventilated people  ::)) and this stuff dries very quickly, 4 hours there abouts.

reckon

Quote from: dj on May 17, 2007, 11:41:01 PM

Paint looks awesome.  I'll definetly be painting the bike with this stuff.  Hopefully they still have the navy blue color in a few days (only one can left when I stopped over last night).  Now that the flywheel is off my bike I should have the starter clutch fixed by the end of the weekend, so I can move on to cleaning the carbs, getting her running, and getting her some new paint.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I can see painting advice is a waste of time here,....why not just dip the entire bike in rust-o-leum??
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

inanecathode

Quote from: reckon on May 18, 2007, 12:53:20 AM
Quote from: dj on May 17, 2007, 11:41:01 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

I can see painting advice is a waste of time here,....why not just dip the entire bike in rust-o-leum??

I did a test panel just like you told me to?

Lucky

Aww Recon, it's ok buddy, let the kids have their fun, lol
;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

reckon

Quote from: Lucky on May 18, 2007, 01:11:33 AM
;)

:'(  (sniff)

dj

Quote from: reckon on May 18, 2007, 07:05:38 AM
Quote from: Lucky on May 18, 2007, 01:11:33 AM
;)

:'(  (sniff)

What's the matter Reckon?  Don't like the paint job results?   ??? ??? ???
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

reckon

no the results were ok,...it's just that IF you are going through all the trouble of sanding and prepping, you might as well spend a little more coin, and get some catylized 2 component paint that will LAST.

I can promise you that rust-o-leum wont look as good as it does now in 3 months,...and then your painting it all over again, or riding a bike that looks like it needs a paintjob,...except YOU JUST PAINTED IT!

see?

be super careful with the gasoline fill ups for a couple of months, until that rust-o-leum has had a chance to fully cure, or your hard work will be running down the gas station drain.

you can't do THIS with rust-o-leum:

ps2/bikevision

Quote from: reckon on May 18, 2007, 06:36:13 PM
no the results were ok,...it's just that IF you are going through all the trouble of sanding and prepping, you might as well spend a little more coin, and get some catylized 2 component paint that will LAST.

I can promise you that rust-o-leum wont look as good as it does now in 3 months,...and then your painting it all over again, or riding a bike that looks like it needs a paintjob,...except YOU JUST PAINTED IT!

see?

be super careful with the gasoline fill ups for a couple of months, until that rust-o-leum has had a chance to fully cure, or your hard work will be running down the gas station drain.

is that a scratch i see in the top.   

just kidding. ill pay for the gas, beer, food, couch rental, and supplies. if you come to my house and paint both my bikes to look like that. i dont even care what color it is. it could be pink and would still look awsome with a shine like that.

dj

Reckon, great job on that tank.  You know you were just showing off by posting that pic.   ;) ;D ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Now we know what reckon looks like...... an Oompaloompah!   ;D   ;D   ;D

Thats a seriously good looking shine.  I second what ps2 said about getting you to do his bikes except for two things. 1.  I have only one bike to paint (unless Lucky wants his done, then two) and 2.  I'll throw in some of my super duper world famous best burgers you ever had burgers.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Quote from: reckon on May 18, 2007, 06:36:13 PM

see?

I dunno about the lastability. The guy who started the rustoleum automotive paint painted his charger 2 years ago and it still looks good. I'll see how the piece turns out after i wax it.
Really i don't know much about the rustoleum, the whole point of me trying to do my V with it is to experiment with something noones tried before, and to save money. I'm sure there was someone that used catalysed 2 part paint when people said it wasnt a good idea, right? :D:D:D:D

Lucky

ok everybody, SHHH!! I have to wisper so Recon doesn't see....I am kidnaping him, we will make him paint all our bikes...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

reckon

it's a simple trick,......I shoot everything black,...sealer, primer, basecoat,...and then I add some dark grey candy over the base (looks like a smoke tinted sunglass lens) shoot a couple of coats of that, then two coats of clear, let cure and sand flatter than wyoming with 800 grit (wet), then I shoot four more coats of clear, and sand and polish,........

that whole job was shot with PPG's bargain line "OMNI", the materials for that tank were about $70 total, and it could be less if you skip the candy grey coat  (which is actually a tint you add to an intercoat clear)

I call that color "event horizon black", because it looks like looking into space at night.

thanks for the compliments, and yes, I was showing off, but I really just wanted to show what can be done with a little patience, and really, very little practice, and some cheap paint.